Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Where would a DLR third gate be located?

We'd all love to see a third Disney Park to complement DL and DCA. Where would this park be located? Aren't all of the immediate areas surrounding the resort built out already? If Disney wanted to locate it near the current parks they'd have to purchase the land from an existing owner, which I'm guessing has made the idea prohibitively expensive up to this point.

If they put it somewhere off property what would that do for the experience of going to the resort? It would be interesting to hear from Anaheim or Southern California locals who might have information on where there is available property for this.

I'd love for this to be a practical discussion, which accounts for Disney's willingness to pay for expensive property, logistics of getting people to and from the different parks, etc.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: Where would a DLR third gate be located?

Think this might have been posted on a Miceage article a while ago.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

They current Toy Story Lot is where the third park would be. It is only supposed to be a temporary parking lot.

• "What is thy bidding?"

If they were ever to utilize that lot for a theme park it looks like it could be large enough based on the map
    It Would be nice to see Disney extend monorail service to it if they did go through with this.

Where would they re-locate the existing parking though?

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

There were talks of building another Mickey & Friends size parking structure
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Goofy View Post
    If they were ever to utilize that lot for a theme park it looks like it could be large enough based on the map
    It Would be nice to see Disney extend monorail service to it if they did go through with this.

Where would they re-locate the existing parking though?
    The image below shows where the new large parking structure would be constructed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    Think this might have been posted on a Miceage article a while ago.

• Minion

Seems like a small footprint, no? I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but what is the size of that footprint and how does it compare to any other Disney park including backstage areas?

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Seems like a small footprint, no? I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but what is the size of that footprint and how does it compare to any other Disney park including backstage areas?
    To me it looks to be around the same size as California Adventure, if you subtract the corner portion that is the Grand Californian. I don't have any numbers to give you, though.

Before California Adventure opened back in 2001, Disney originally had plans to open California Adventure in 2001 and start construction on their third gate in 2003 with an opening date in 2010, but that dream was short lived due to the lack of attendance at California Adventure. Plus,Disney was so serious about a "third gate" that they even created a website for it. I'll post the link to their old website (which im not sure if it will work), but in my opinion I think Disney won't announce plans for a third gate until DCA's attendance catches up with DL. Here's the link: https://web.archive.org/web/20010720...themepark.com/

• Minion

Anaheim resident here, and I think Disney would have a much easier time acquiring adjacent property than others might think, particularly if it's city property. SOAR (Support Our Anaheim Resort) is very influential in the city council.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    One issue with that location is that they will be required to provide a substantial buffer zone (berm) between the park ant the existing residential areas. That will reduce the available area for the actual park.

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyH View Post
    Anaheim resident here, and I think Disney would have a much easier time acquiring adjacent property than others might think, particularly if it's city property. SOAR (Support Our Anaheim Resort) is very influential in the city council.
    My first thought when looking at that map was the community pushback against locating another park in that area. I know that if I were a homeowner I would fight like crazy against it.

Even though it looks like a ton of houses, it's only 7 properties edging Haster and Orangewood. Disney could buy those pretty easy with the help of the city. It'd be a little rough on PR making so many people move, even though that would really fall on the property owners. Realistically, Disney could probably get away with all 7 of them for $100 mil. The other properties in the square of Harbor/Katella/Haster/Orangwood are commercial properties, mostly hotels, and the zoning space for a berm would be much easier to negotiate.

• Nutty guy from Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Co Foo View Post
    My first thought when looking at that map was the community pushback against locating another park in that area. I know that if I were a homeowner I would fight like crazy against it.
    They probably would but if I was Disney I would point out that they (being Disney) were there first and the homeowner purchased the property knowing full well that they were moving into a resort area.

It's no different than someone who buys a house under the approach area to an airport runway knowing that it is there and then doing nothing but complain against it.

Personally if it were me and I owned a house nearby I'd rather have the theme park versus all the cars coming and going like it is now with the parking lot.

As for the size, I suspect it actually would hold a park slightly larger than DCA as it appears to be the same size as DCA and GCH combined.

That said, I would bet that Disney probably has plans for at least one resort hotel alongside a new theme park in that space.
    The Chadwick's Online Photo & Video Galleries
    DLR: 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
    DCL: Alaska Cruise Aboard Disney Wonder 2013
    Planned Trips: DLR November 2015, WDW March 2018

Very Happy Disney Vacation Club Member Since 2010
    270 Points at The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

Quote Originally Posted by fangirl View Post
    To me it looks to be around the same size as California Adventure, if you subtract the corner portion that is the Grand Californian. I don't have any numbers to give you, though.
    Well I'm not exactly sure how many acres DCA is, but according to Wikipedia DCA takes up 72 acres, and the "Toy Story Lot" (future third gate) is approximatly 78 acres, so assuming that they used the whole lot for the new park, than the third gate would be just a tad bigger than DCA. However, if Disney were to buy the residential units surrounding the "Toy Story Lot", then the third gate would be around 130 acres.

Quote Originally Posted by lightofdarkness View Post
    Even though it looks like a ton of houses, it's only 7 properties edging Haster and Orangewood. Disney could buy those pretty easy with the help of the city. It'd be a little rough on PR making so many people move, even though that would really fall on the property owners. Realistically, Disney could probably get away with all 7 of them for $100 mil. The other properties in the square of Harbor/Katella/Haster/Orangwood are commercial properties, mostly hotels, and the zoning space for a berm would be much easier to negotiate.
    My friend is a real estate agent and she told me that she has heard that Disney already owns a few of those housing units (I'm not sure which exact ones). However are all of the housing units surrounding the "Toy Story Lot" apartments or are some of them condos, because if they are condos then Disney will probably have a harder time purchasing those. Plus, if Disney does acquire these properties then that will certainly help with the noise complaints from residents and will add approximately 40 acres to the "possibly" new park.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast