• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

If Walt lived 2 more years, do u think the Mansion would have remained a walkthrough?

What do you think?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: If Walt lived 2 more years, do u think the Mansion would have remained a walkthro

By all accounts, the plan for it to be a walkthrough was ditched certainly by the time the New York World's Fair shows were underway - the first use of the doombuggy type vehicle was at Adventure Thru Inner Space in 1967, the year he passed away, and the work on finalizing the Mansion was done by the people had assigned to it in the mid-60's after his death, and many of whom were WF and Pirates of the Caribbean veterans at that point (the pioneering projects for getting mass amounts of guests through an attraction on an hourly basis).
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Pox-worthy since 1973

Re: If Walt lived 2 more years, do u think the Mansion would have remained a walkthro

I think the Mansion would have continued proceed down the path it did. Walt was always for the use of new technology, and the Mansion probably would've developed into a ride-through with Doombuggies. Plus, he probably would've realized the capacity and potential effects issues that come with walkthrough attractions (a la Malificent's Shadow in the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough).
    Last edited by PhonyKingOfEngland; 08-09-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling error
    Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    We'll all be groaning when they install the giant snowflake from Frozen in front of the Chinese Theatre.

• Done with MC.

I agree, the walking tour thing was decided against early on by Walt himself as I understand it.

"Eventually, we were afraid that maybe there would be vandalism throughout the attraction, which is why it had turned into a ride." - Rolly Crump, who was actually booted off The Haunted Mansion

I still think that they honestly would have gone with the Doombuggies. I'm guessing that Walt was around to see the first incarnation of the system when Bob Gurr created it for ATIS since he passed away in 1966 but surely the ride system would have been in development prior to 1967.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Certified DL Addict

One of the things that would have become a challenge if it had stayed a walk-thru is I'm sure there would have been numerous steps inside (think of all the accents and descents included now). Back when it was created people weren't as lazy as they are now so I'm sure they wouldn't have thought twice about having staircases, which would also fit in with the mansion feel.

The issue with that would have been ADA requirements that have to be met now. It's hard to imagine they could do an ADA version of HM Walk-Through like they do with sleeping beauty.

For me the movement of the Doombuggies really add to the feel, and when you have the lap bar mysteriously lower by the ghosts that just starts your ride out on a great note
    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
    *~Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*

• Haunted Mansion Fan

I don't think a walk through would have ever happened in the final version as Walt saw it. From what I have read, he realized moving that many guests through the attraction would be difficult. I could possibly have seen a Museum of the Weird area, maybe before or after the actual attraction.
    Do not pull down on the safety bar please; I will lower it for you.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

With his attention shifting to EPCOT, I could easily imagine Walt not paying too much attention to The Haunted Mansion.

• Pox-worthy since 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    "Eventually, we were afraid that maybe there would be vandalism throughout the attraction, which is why it had turned into a ride." - Rolly Crump, who was actually booted off The Haunted Mansion
    You know why Rolly got booted off the Mansion?
    (Wait for it…)

His ideas were "Weird"! Attachment 37707
    Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    We'll all be groaning when they install the giant snowflake from Frozen in front of the Chinese Theatre.

Where is attachment 37707?

• Minion

I think if there were attendants leading walk-through groups through the Mansion with live narration it might have devolved into a joke-fest a la Jungle Cruise (which started out with serious narration).

If it wasn't the omnimover, it would have been another ride system. From the videos I've seen of various "making of" films and interviews with different imagineers, it seemed as if the idea of a walk through was ditched early on.

It wasn't just the vandalization of property as Rolly stated, but also the problem of capacity. They realized if it would be a walk through they wouldn't get that many people through it within a certain amount of time. The omnimover technology heavily increased the capacity of the ride and letting more people enjoy the ride sooner.

• Pizza-rella

Well you don't have to worry about graffitti now, but you do have to worry about people dumping their loved one's ashes everywhere.
    If I could pick one Disney charater I'm most like, it would be Cinderella. I love to clean and I have an obssesion with shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by babebet View Post
    Well you don't have to worry about graffitti now, but you do have to worry about people dumping their loved one's ashes everywhere.
    And spitting on everything, throwing garbage from the ride vehicles, blowing bubbles...