Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

can anyone here honestly say they've been on every Disneyland ride ever created?

Don't forget the Phantom Boats , the viewliner,
    And the midget a autopia and the flying saucers.

Re: can anyone here honestly say they've been on every Disneyland ride ever created?

Very good graduate student research thesis. My hypothesis would be that the economics of riding attractions at park opening would prevent the task. The rider would need to have parents intrigued with the park, the rider would have no fear, and the rider would have to be mesmerized by the park

Research indicates That Grandma's baby shop closes two months later, (lack of babies in the park????) baby could ride phantom boat but not the pack mules. Circus is also gone, anything causing a stink in front of the public was removed from the park. Wonder how street cars over rode that policy???

Re: can anyone here honestly say they've been on every Disneyland ride ever created?

No, I doubt there would be. That person would have to be 70 years old today (guessing their first trip to Disney is at 10). Or if they were a baby, around 60. You'd have to go on all the new rides. So I doubt it.

I am probably as close to riding every ride as anyone. The Disneyland property was my playground before Walt Disney bought the property. On Saturdays I used the back entrance between the Stable and Frontierland to sneak in for free.

I was one of the few who rode the 1955 "Tomorrowland Boats" and redesigned summer of 1956 Phantom Boats, with the large fins several times. Each time I was disappointed that that I could not drive them, and that they never went very fast despite looking fast with their large fins.

I remember riding the Viewliner, but there was nothing to see, mostly just dirt.

I often tried the Flying Saucers, but was never very successful to even get them to move as I was small and lightweight.

Below is a photo of me driving my sister on the Junior Autopia. But, I only remember seeing the Midget Autopia ride, thinking it was a very slow ride for "Little Kids" (I was 9 years old), It is possible that I rode it, but I have no memory of riding it.

A kid small enough to want to ride the Midget Autopia probably would have been too small to ride the Tomorrowland/Phantom boats. It is very unlikely to find someone alive that has ridden every ride.

I caught fish on TS island, rode the Stagecoach,
    Buckboards, & Conestoga Wagons, Mike Fink Keel Boats, and the rode the mules. And loved the Flight Circle in the middle of Tomorrowland.

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    Very good graduate student research thesis. My hypothesis would be that the economics of riding attractions at park opening would prevent the task. The rider would need to have parents intrigued with the park, the rider would have no fear, and the rider would have to be mesmerized by the park

Research indicates That Grandma's baby shop closes two months later, (lack of babies in the park????) baby could ride phantom boat but not the pack mules. Circus is also gone, anything causing a stink in front of the public was removed from the park. Wonder how street cars over rode that policy???
    The economics at the time were not that bad, even with inflation. It cost $1 to get in. But I knew how to use the Stable entrance and not pay. (And , Knotts was FREE). We lived on Harbor (Palm) a 10 min. walk just down the street, then moved to east Anaheim in 1957. The rides were not that expensive, and when ticket books came out I would go the exit and ask for and get many unused tickets for free.

"No, I doubt there would be. That person would have to be 70 years old today (guessing their first trip to Disney is at 10). Or if they were a baby, around 60. You'd have to go on all the new rides. So I doubt it."

Very close, I am 68-1/2.

hey 1951, thanks for sharing . some questions
    What is your association with the orange groves?
    Why are the palm trees in the orange grove so important?
    How did you earn money to purchase the individual tickets after you sneaked in the park?

I believe you about sneaking in thru the stables. Our state fair has a very lax stable area that abuts residential area. Many ranch/farm hands in the fair area and there is no security, so easy to blend in with the help.

what are your memories of the stable area? And do you , today, find the smell of stables memorable? Our family passed thru the Ontario stock yards in the darkness of early morning on the way to Disneyland and to this day, a package of steer manure sitting on the store sidewalk triggers my brain into a joyful state

You posted right before my post.

In my lifetime I believe I've done everything except for the Rocket Rods. I had many chances to ride them and failed to do so. I deeply regret it now.

hey, 1951, this would make for a great movie, though I can't decide on the opening scene:

*to have you on your bike watching the orange groves bulldozed

* have you sneaking into the park thru the stables, the movie viewer unaware who owns the stables then fading to you sitting on a bench on Main street 2014. Then as you aged as a child, California and the nation aging with you, (Dodger Stadium, Smokey the bear, Smothers Brothers, etc, Johnny Carson, roller blades on Venice Beach, etc)

* your parents buying jam at the Knott's and an employee saying " I see their building some kinda of Mickey Mouse operation down the road. Well I can tell you, we will still have the best berry jam and pies in Orange county.

(1936 is the first date of research for the idiom "Mickey Mouse")

Quote Originally Posted by laferney Road kid View Post
    hey 1951, thanks for sharing . some questions
    What is your association with the orange groves?
    Why are the palm trees in the orange grove so important?
    How did you earn money to purchase the individual tickets after you sneaked in the park?
    The south end of the Disneyland property at Ball Road is where Viking Trailer Factory existed that my Father ran. DL property was not all orange groves. There were farms on the north side near Katella. We moved from Harbor to "Grove Ave" on the east side which was in the middle of orange groves.

Palm Trees were on the Dominguez family property (near Indian Jones), and I believe that the Peltzers (near the old entrance) had some, were decorative. There were many more Eucalyptus trees to block the Orange trees from wind. You can still see them behind City hall.

We were pretty well off for the time and I did chores (clean the pool, trash, etc.) for a good allowance ($5/week).

• Disneyland Dreamer

Laferney... that's an AWESOME idea for a movie.... Somebody spend some time with Disneyland 1951 and get some oral histories down and a screenplay started.

I wish 1951 would post more often. The stories of early Disneyland are awesome.

Yes, Disneyland 1951 always tells it as it was and has a great memory. I too would welcome more posts or threads form this person. Disneyland and other parks are not the only treasures, but the people that have a history are also.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySpaceAce View Post
    I wish 1951 would post more often. The stories of early Disneyland are awesome.
    I wish he was my neighbor. I'd LOVE to sit down and hear everything he has to tell.

I have many Disneyland property adventures from before DL was built, and current fun I still have there:

* I was told about how Abbot & Costello filmed parts of the movie "Buck Privates come Home" there in 1947.
    * We had our own private race track. Coached by Indy 500 Winners like Rodger Ward and Jimmy Bryant.
    * The first Sports Illustrated issue featuring Swimsuits, had a 6 page color article of our race track.
    " The ABC program "You Asked for It" filmed us racing in 1954, near what is currently Small World.
    * I remember following huge Long Horn Oxen into the park back gate in the morning.
    .............. I have been unable to find a photo or anyone that remembers them!
    * I saw Walt Disney several times, but would run away because I was sure he knew I did not pay to get in???
    * A favorite game was for my friends was to see who could tell the tourist the biggest lie.
    * I won when I told a kid that there were no bathrooms in Disneyland and got him to pee in the Castle moat.
    * My Uncle programmed the first Mr. Lincoln animatronic. And, was in the Circlevision movie.
    * You could watch Nature films and cartoons in the Fantasyland Theater.
    * Before Dole Whips, I had to have a Welches grape juice frozen bar.
    * They sold original movie cells at Disneyland for a just few dollars.
    * My parents were friends with some Hollywood people, and I was stuck spending the day showing teenage Debrah Wally around Disneyland while our parents had drinks. (She later starred as Gidget, was in Disney Summer Magic, and Beach Blanket Bingo with Annette.) She was 3 years older and we were bored with being stuck with each other several times. Later my sister made me have Debbie introduce her to Annette.

*Today, I enjoyed talking with the Snow White Queen about how we are both misunderstood in books whose plot revolves around a apple. My ancestor is also portrayed as the Evil one in books, operas, plays, movies, etc. I had her sign an 1832 printed book of the Story and a print showing my ancestor and the drama with the apple.
    Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 08-10-2014 at 01:24 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast