Can you date this film?

I just scanned some amateur 8 mm footage and I need help dating it. The Mark I monorail tells me it's sometime between 1959 and 1961, but is there an expert here who can narrow it down to one of those years?

• Minion

Re: Can you date this film?

Cascade Peak was a pretty prominent feature along the edge of the Rivers of America, and in the footage of the Mark Twain going around I coudn't make out anything that looked like Cascade Peak. That was built during the winter of 1959-1960 and the spring of 1960. Since I didn't see it in this footage, I'm ruling out 1960 or 1961. In fact there is no footage of anything in the Nature's Wonderland area. So my best guess would be that this film was made in 1959.

Since the shadows in some scenes give the impression that the sun was directly overhead (for example the teacups at 8:49) I would guess that this was made in late June or early July when the sun is at its highest point in the sky. So I'm placing my bets on early summer 1959. But I'm only betting 1 Mickey dollar.

• Minion

In the shots of the parking lot all of the cars were 1954-59. I couldn't spot a single '60 model, much less a '61. Also, the hairdos and hemlines on the ladies (always a good clue) were very noticeably late 1950's and not quite 1961 with hemlines that were creeping up the calves and hairdos that were getting larger and looser by 1960 and '61.

This has to be 1959.

That was fun to watch! There was a little bit of almost everything. The only thing I'm surprised that wasn't in it was the castle. Is it just me, or the film, or did the tea cups spin really fast? There was one girl leaning on her side. I'm guessing she wasn't feeling too good .

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    In the shots of the parking lot all of the cars were 1954-59. I couldn't spot a single '60 model, much less a '61. Also, the hairdos and hemlines on the ladies (always a good clue) were very noticeably late 1950's and not quite 1961 with hemlines that were creeping up the calves and hairdos that were getting larger and looser by 1960 and '61.

This has to be 1959.
    Wow, you can tell the difference between a '59 and '60 model car from the film? That's amazing.

Thanks for the input everybody. 1959 makes sense since the opening of several new attractions could be the reason for a trip to Anaheim.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92 View Post
    Wow, you can tell the difference between a '59 and '60 model car from the film? That's amazing.
    I can tell the exact years of certain Mustangs and Firebirds from the bumper, grille or rear window so that doesn't surprise me.

Great film! So much of it still looks so similar.

• Done with MC.

Cant help with exact years but I sure enjoyed watching!
    The person doing the filming did a great job too. Most the time amateurs of that era (our parents heh-heh) moved the camera too much and were jerky.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. The guy who shot it had been making 8 mm films for 20 years when this one was made. The parking lot scene reminds me of visiting DL for the first time in 1967, when New Tomorrowland was really new!

• Rock Star Minion

Autopia cars not on a rail at 3:08.

No mermaids!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    hemlines on the ladies (always a good clue) were very noticeably late 1950's and not quite 1961 with hemlines that were creeping up the calves
    Did their hemlines make that much of a drastic change over 1-2 years that you can pinpoint a certain year? If so that's pretty interesting and I could only assume it had to do with feminism?

"I'm bad and that's good. I will never be good and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."
    Bad Anon Creed

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlandx View Post
    Did their hemlines make that much of a drastic change over 1-2 years that you can pinpoint a certain year?
    Yes. Hemlines were changing quickly from 1958 to 1963. It's not that hard to do.

But it also helps if you are a Leg Man.
    Last edited by Westsider; 08-14-2014 at 12:34 AM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92 View Post
    Much like hemlines, cars changed noticeably each year in the late 1950's and into the 1960's. From the 5 to 16 second mark of that film it's easy to spot a '56 Chevy, a '58 Rambler station wagon, a '57 Oldsmobile, and a '55 or '56 Mercury. Several of the cars were too blurry to make out exactly, but you could tell by the fenders and rooflines that they were no later than 1958 models.

Can't help to date the film, but I just wanted to say thanks for sharing! That was awesome!