Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RIP Robin Williams/ What this mean for Aladdin show

I was fortunate enough to have experienced not only a front row seating of Aladdin today, but a chilling moment of roaring applause during "Friend Like Me" at World of Color. Do you think the Genie will have to change certain jokes ("can't bring people back from the dead")?

Re: RIP Robin Williams/ What this mean for Aladdin show

I don't think Genie will have to stop certain jokes, as that's a line lifted straight from the movie. I'm thinking it'll be kept to the "But I CAN bring back Twinkies, amIright?!" for the time being, since the Twinkie line seems to be a mood-lifter.

I'd love to have witnessed the applause for the "Friend Like Me" segment. Was the applause for Genie in Aladdin any bigger today?

• The doctor is in

I don't think the jokes will have to change, but this could mean that Aladdin will be sticking around longer than it might have otherwise as a tribute.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

I'm curious as to what this will mean as well. I'm guessing they'll pay some kind of homage to him in shows today, too.

• I'm not really here

I don't see any reason to alter any jokes. That would not be a fitting way to pay respects to a great comedian. If anything, a moment of silence before the show tonight or some tribute in the program, but the show will continue as it has been I would suspect.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I don't see any reason to alter any jokes. That would not be a fitting way to pay respects to a great comedian. If anything, a moment of silence before the show tonight or some tribute in the program, but the show will continue as it has been I would suspect.
    Agreed. But I do think this will be the push to keep the show running for longer.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    Agreed. But I do think this will be the push to keep the show running for longer.
    A reasonable assumption.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

That seems reasonable.

I hadn't heard of the news at that time since it was earlier in the day but it was your average huge applause for Genie, as always.

The World of Color applause really was a treat. It was like being part of an unplanned memorial or tribute. People in the audience were crying.

• Minion

ORWEN: Some of us are still crying...

• Evil is Sexy

^ What they said.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• formerly very helpful

It would be nice if they produced a special World of Color, specifically highlighting Robin Williams' contributions to Disney.
    One of my favorite was the short film Back to Neverland, which premiered at the Disney Studios in Florida, and also played at the Animation attraction at DCA.

• Infinitized!

I read on another board that during the finale of Fantasmic in Disney World, all the characters hugged Genie at the end. Is there video of it anywhere?

•   
    • Minion

I don't really see the show changing long term due to his death. It's already a great tribute IMO that the Genie is usually very funny. You could see some little tributes here and there in the coming weeks though.

• Minion

ORWEN: What a beautiful idea that was--assuming it really happened--for all the characters to hug the Genie during Fantasmic at WDW.

• film975

I don't think there would be any better tribute to Mr. Williams than to keep the Aladdin show going as long as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast