Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: The Return of the SoCal APs

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    The combined park attendance on Monday, August 18th is 30,000 more than the combined park attendance on Saturday, August 16th. And it's all due to SoCal APs becoming unblocked after our nice, pleasant summer vacation.

Management is stressing this issue with hourly CM's in local area "Roll Calls" this past week, telling us to enjoy these pleasant days with pleasant tourists who are actually thankful for the service CM's provide. My girlfriend works in Guest Relations, and I know for a fact Guest Relations is staffing extra people beginning on Monday to deal with the mad flood of APs who will be demanding new DAS disability cards for their "autistic" children or their own personal bowel problems. (Yes, grown adult Annual Passholders will go into Guest Relations and claim they have bowel problems in order to get a DAS card.)

The lovely summer of modest crowds made up of non-APs who are genuinely impressed with the Disneyland Resort and pleased with the service CM's provide is coming to an end. August 18th the switch is flipped and the parks will become very crowded again, the parking infrastructure will become over-burdened and go crazy, and the entire vibe of the Resort will change.

But what a nice summer we had.
    It is so frustrating that management sees the problem, counsels CMs about it, and and doesn't do much about it. Discontinuing new sales of the SoCal pass is only a drop in the bucket of fixing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySpaceAce View Post
    I can see why the So Cal pass makes the park busy, as they have Fridays and Saturdays unblocked.
    SoCals are blocked on Saturdays.
    https://disneyland.disney.go.com/passes/blockout-dates/

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheMagicFlower View Post
    A real Fourth of July situation! (That was the emptiest I had ever seen the park, ever.)
    It really was amazing!

-----------------------

I wish people would stop treating Disneyland like a hang out spot, just 'dropping in for a few hours, doing a couple things then leaving' ugh.

I will be there Monday and Tuesday (SoCal AP holder, its all i can afford ). I hope its not too too busy. *crosses fingers*

• Minion

You should have seen how empty and pleasant it was today (Saturday, August 16th). Girlfriend just got home and said it was a very, very slow day and the park was just perfect. Many happy Guests stopped by City Hall to leave compliments and happy wishes or to simply ask questions about how to make the most of their visit tomorrow. Can you even imagine City Hall acting as a legit "Park Information" center?!? Instead of the "I have irritable bowel syndrome and my child is hyper and will hurt people if you don't give me a DAS Card" and the official "I'm an Annual Passholder and I pay your salary!" complaint center? It's actually true, Walt set up City Hall originally as a Park Information center, decades before Annual Passholders existed.

Contrast this most recent pleasant Saturday experience to this upcoming Monday, when they are preparing to batten down the hatches at City Hall and DCA's Chamber of Commerce, and they'll tape out an extended queue of switchbacks for APs waiting in line to get their DAS cards because they can't wait in line. Then they'll up their staffing for wave after wave of angry APs that night who will want to complain about anything and everything and expect to get free stuff or Attraction Re-Ads for any minor issue that "ruined their day". Also, every AP will have a child who has a birthday, because no one who isn't an Annual Passholder ever has a birthday. Guest Relations management is trying their hardest to keep morale high and pad shifts for the inevitable call-outs that will come on Monday, just as I also know Security and Attractions management also does as the AP blockout reversal approaches.

The parks will be packed come Monday, the CM staffing will shoot through the roof, while TDA's profits will decline at restaurants and shops, and the innocent tourists who scheduled their vacation a few days too late after they'd saved for two years to take the kids to Disneyland will be frustrated and saddened.

It's just a sad time of year for many CM's right now. The dark side of Disneyland comes out when the summer AP blockouts end.
    Last edited by Westsider; 08-17-2014 at 01:26 AM.

• Minion

You should have seen how empty and pleasant it was today (Saturday, August 16th). Girlfriend just got home and said it was a very, very slow day and the park was just perfect. Many happy Guests stopped by City Hall to leave compliments and happy wishes or to simply ask questions about how to make the most of their visit tomorrow. Can you even imagine City Hall acting as a legit "Park Information" center?!? Instead of the "I have irritable bowel syndrome and my child is hyper and will hurt people if you don't give me a DAS Card" and the official "I'm an Annual Passholder and I pay your salary!" complaint center? It's actually true, Walt set up City Hall originally as a Park Information center, decades before Annual Passholders existed.

Contrast this most recent pleasant Saturday experience to this upcoming Monday, when they are preparing to batten down the hatches at City Hall and DCA's Chamber of Commerce, and they'll tape out an extended queue of switchbacks for APs waiting in line to get their DAS cards because they can't wait in line. Then they'll up their staffing for wave after wave of angry APs that night who will want to complain about anything and everything and expect to get free stuff or Attraction Re-Ads for any minor issue that "ruined their day". Also, every AP will have a child who has a birthday, because no one who isn't an Annual Passholder ever has a birthday. Guest Relations management is trying their hardest to keep morale high and pad shifts for the inevitable call-outs that will come on Monday, just as I also know Security and Attractions management also does as the AP blockout reversal approaches.

The parks will be packed come Monday, the CM staffing will shoot through the roof, while TDA's profits will decline at restaurants and shops, and the innocent tourists who scheduled their vacation a few days too late after they'd saved for two years to take the kids to Disneyland will be frustrated and saddened.

It's just a sad time of year for many CM's right now. The dark side of Disneyland comes out when the summer AP blockouts end.
    You're freaking me out right now. I'm scheduled to work on Monday, lol.

• Foolish Mortal

I'm a very responsible and respectful SoCal APH. Im excited to get back to the park I love, Disneyland!

You sound so bitter. All So Cal passholders are not this way. Yes there will be some. But I've seen just as many tourists taking baths in the sinks, yet don't complain that it is the tourist season. This last weekend had less crowds due to blockouts AND school is back for many students. If they eliminate the So Cal passes, many will simply pay $10 more per month and buy the other passes.
    What do you want Disney to do? Without breaking any Federal or State laws of course.
    With as bitter as you sound, I certainly hope it doesn't carry over for your time in the parks when I'm there. I love Disneyland for the happy people there. Not the bitter ones like you.

Disneyland loves their passholders, If they didn't, why would they be throwing a big party on 9/2 to get them to renew if their pass is expiring soon?

•   
    • Minion

In regards to the comment about DAS, yes, we all know some people abuse them. I'd like to put it out there, though, that there actually are those with Crohn's, IBS, and other conditions that affect one's need to use the facilities often. It can be very embarrassing for such folks to have to talk about it; but what else can they do? I've heard of people who actually have to alter their work schedules or even change jobs due to IBS; they really do need that DAS.

I'd also respectfully suggest that if one considers SoCal APs to be the enemy, and goes into the day with anger and resentment...that is what they just might become. People respond, sometimes, unconsciously, to the body language and attitude of those they meet. If you hate APs, maybe that attitude carries across to them, maybe you're interacting with them as such, and perhaps they respond defensively. Perhaps that guest who is being rude to you is in a bad mood because earlier in the day they ran into a CM that decided that since they're an AP, they're not entitled to the same respect or good service that tourists get.

I'm not condoning that. Whenever I'm at the park I go out of my way to be polite to everyone, even if they're not nice. If I run across a rude CM I shrug it off and simply assume they're having a bad day that doesn't have anything to do with me. I have a policy of trying to make at least one COMPLIMENT of CMs per visit, either at City Hall or on email when I get home, and in all the years I've been going to the park, I think I've only complained once or twice.

I'm just honestly wondering if contempt and resentment toward APs reflects back, colors guest-CM interactions, and makes the situation worse.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    In regards to the comment about DAS, yes, we all know some people abuse them. I'd like to put it out there, though, that there actually are those with Crohn's, IBS, and other conditions that affect one's need to use the facilities often. It can be very embarrassing for such folks to have to talk about it; but what else can they do? I've heard of people who actually have to alter their work schedules or even change jobs due to IBS; they really do need that DAS.

I'd also respectfully suggest that if one considers SoCal APs to be the enemy, and goes into the day with anger and resentment...that is what they just might become. People respond, sometimes, unconsciously, to the body language and attitude of those they meet. If you hate APs, maybe that attitude carries across to them, maybe you're interacting with them as such, and perhaps they respond defensively. Perhaps that guest who is being rude to you is in a bad mood because earlier in the day they ran into a CM that decided that since they're an AP, they're not entitled to the same respect or good service that tourists get.

I'm not condoning that. Whenever I'm at the park I go out of my way to be polite to everyone, even if they're not nice. If I run across a rude CM I shrug it off and simply assume they're having a bad day that doesn't have anything to do with me. I have a policy of trying to make at least one COMPLIMENT of CMs per visit, either at City Hall or on email when I get home, and in all the years I've been going to the park, I think I've only complained once or twice.

I'm just honestly wondering if contempt and resentment toward APs reflects back, colors guest-CM interactions, and makes the situation worse.
    Everything. Just... everything you said.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Perfect Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Everything. Just... everything you said.
    I second this....All those things that are being complained about also come from many tourists and day guests...as well as APers at all levels. I could say so much more but will leave it at that.
    Princess Anna

Mom To
    Video Game Player-Noah (6/5/98)
    &
    Baseball Player, All Stars Basketball Player & All Net Champ -Kaleb (3/8/02)
    &
    Ballerina Princess Skylar (9/21/06)
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

It's a bit offensive to me that there is some sort of weird form of something akin to racism against APs and certain APs. It's as if we're considered to be lesser than other Disneyland Resort attendees. I've been a passholder for about 5 years, partially as a SoCal, partially as a Deluxe. I'd say about half of my 127 visits were 3-6 people in one car (the other half just two of us).

I've never once complained about a CM, nor have I left compliments. In fact, we haven't entered City Hall even once. The one time I actually complained to a CM was after riding Pirates. I have heard CMs get on the loudspeaker and admonish people for flash photography. Well, this time, while two of us were in row 6 of Pirates, the people in row 4 kept turning around and taking flash pictures of the people in row 5. I kept my mouth shut and figured the best way to handle it was to let a CM know that this was an unacceptable.

So I politely approached a Pirates CM about it. He told me that I could always just ride it again. (Gee, thanks, buddy. I never would have thought of that.) Since then, I have just bypassed CMs and approached this stuff on my own. I am sure Disney would prefer I don't, but if they won't address concerns, then I will. The people that have most egregiously broken the flash pictures/flash video rules on rides and blinded me for entire rides? Tourists who typically are speaking French or an Asian language.

The last time I saw World of Color, I actually had to help the CMs do their jobs because they didn't know where anybody was supposed to go. A year ago when my cousin brought his family out, A CM in a tie at World of Color was very rude and obviously the CMs he was in control over didn't know what was going on, because they let us in and he had to run over and very rudely push us back. Did we report him? No.

So, ya know, APs aren't the only ones who act badly. APs aren't constantly complaining or treating CMs badly. In fact, I have only had neutral/expected or rude interactions with CMs, and I didn't go to City Hall to complain. I also don't show up in an empty car, though why it is a concern to anyone but Disney how I arrive is a mystery to me.

When people seem lost, I help them. If people have a question and I overhear a conversation, I try to help them, as I have knowledge about the park that the average tourist doesn't. When we go see a show like the fireworks, we put ourselves in a position where if we lift kids in the air, we're not blocking the view of people behind us. We're courteous and helpful guests.

So go ahead with the AP bashing, but IMO, it makes the bashers who lump us all into one category look bad, not any AP that I know. That's not to say there aren't APs who behave badly, but they are not the only ones.

• Substitute Princess

You're a real bucket of sunshine, aren't you?
    Initially, I understood that you were frustrated and I thought that you acknowledged that all the SoCal APs weren't like that. But it's apparent from your post that you think that SoCal APs are the only ones to blame.

And furthermore, who are you to say that park guests' children don't really have autism or serious medical bowel problems? You're not a licensed doctor or anything of the sort, so you can't claim that they're all lying to the CMs. Yes, there might a few horrible people who do try to take advantage of that, but that is no excuse to treat the ones who really do need a DAS card with such contempt.

I always try to compliment the CMs who are amazing by either stopping by at City Hall or sending in an email, and the only time I ever complained about a CM was for the sake of my peers. I do my best to be a respectful person to everyone in the parks, and always thank the CMs for their stellar Disney work. I go to the parks as often as I can, because I love the magic. I stay for as long as I can. Sometimes that is a few hours, sometimes it's a whole day. I buy as many meals and snacks there that I can afford. You can't hate people for only stopping by a few hours and then leaving without buying anything because sometimes, that's all they can do. As affordable as the monthly payments make an annual pass, it's still expensive, and people can't always buy the pricey Disney food or merchandise. But what they come for the magic and the wonderful things that Disney makes. Trust me, if I could spend loads of money on Disney merch, I would. If I could spend days and days and days at the parks all the time, I would. But it's just not possible. Still, I will take whatever magic I can manage.

I am truly sorry that you have to deal with such negativity and nasty people in the parks, but I do hope that you'll realize that you can't blame an entire group of people for terrible individuals.

SoCal AP'ers are great but I don't like the rude ones that do their own homemade narration of Haunted Mansion,etc. and ruin the experience for new visitors and people who want to be immersed in the attraction.

I'm a SoCal AP holder. Not only that, I use DAS every visit (hip issues due to a birth defect and needing 3 more surgeries).

I try my hardest to be kind to everyone and respectful. My last visit to the parks was back in April when I went with my parents. As always, whenever I spoke with a CM to get my next ride listed in my DAS, I said please and thank you. And every time, the CM was shocked that I was polite to them.

I don't understand why others can't do the same. It isn't difficult.

And because there are so many people who cheat the DAS system, I have to deal with people giving me nasty looks and saying some pretty hurtful things most visits. The worst is people yelling at me for being too fat (yes, I'm overweight but I'm working on it) and saying that if I just stopped eating I could stop cutting in lines ahead of them. I try to ignore them and keep in mind that there are plenty of shady people out there.

I'm hoping to go to the parks on Tuesday (just waiting to find out if I have to work that day or not). And I will be there with a smile and as polite as possible to everyone I encounter. Hopefully, I can change at least one person's mind about what a SoCal AP holder or DAS user is like.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast