Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Why Space Mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock128 View Post
    Plus imo, the ride felt like it was faster with the turns much tighter.
    The track layout pre- and post-refurb is identical. A couple of the turns may have been rebuilt a tad wider, but overall the track is the same. Any differences in your memory is likely nostaligic.
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• Faerie Godmother

The line queue was more entertaining with those videos to watch,
    I definitely agree with this. The "broadcast" was a bit silly, but it gave the impression of a fully functioning civilization up in space, so complete that the news report includes a segment on fashion!

• formerly very helpful

I do find Space Mountain to be a fun, and thrilling ride. But my favorite Disney coaster, by far is Big Thunder. Since Disneyland coasters are not the most extreme by any stretch of the imagination (Not talking about you, California Screamin'), I go for theming. Big Thunder succeeds the best for me on theming.

• Selfie Expert

My husband gets motion sick on Space, but not on Big Thunder or Matterhorn. I think it's the darkness element that adds the extra thrill (or in his case, disorientation).

I don't know if I could really choose a favorite, but I will say that when I was pregnant and couldn't ride the thrill rides, I missed Space the most. And I'm not a teenager.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Tourist

Am I the only one who liked Space Mountain before the remodel when the sponsorship between them and fedex was still around? The line queue was more entertaining with those videos to watch, the glass window with you being able to see the ride while waiting in line as people zoomed by in the dark was really cool to see and I liked the soundtrack better. Plus imo, the ride felt like it was faster with the turns much tighter.

Imo everything was knocked down a peg during the remodel. Thats just me though.
    I completely agree with you. And I miss the Dick Dale elements in the old soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by oo_nrb View Post
    The track layout pre- and post-refurb is identical. A couple of the turns may have been rebuilt a tad wider, but overall the track is the same. Any differences in your memory is likely nostaligic.
    It feels like some of the track was different, the way it is now is basically straight-away, dip, dip, turn, straightway, dip, dip turn, ect ect.

Plus the old ride did feel much faster.

I wouldn't doubt if changes like track layout (slight ones) and overall speed were changed during the remodel. Just look at Indiana Jones. Anyone who rode it during its first years that it was open will tell you that ride was intense, it showed no mercy and thrashed you everywhere. faster and the turns were very sharp. The biggest evidence of this is watching pre-boarding video in the line queue with shalah, the people riding in that video are riding a more intense one then what we have now. Shame that rides are getting toned down .

• Faerie Godmother

Didn't they tone down Indy because it was literally giving people whiplash and chipping their teeth? That seems like a really good reason.

• Minion

Wait, what??? I rode Indy this year and felt that it was rougher than ever!

• MaliBOOMer

Space Mountain is the fastest ride in Disneyland Park. That and the tight turns that go along with the speed definitely make it the most thrilling in the park.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    Didn't they tone down Indy because it was literally giving people whiplash and chipping their teeth? That seems like a really good reason.
    I think that's a bit exaggerated.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

They should offer a choice on Indy, the older more intense version and one like they have now. The lines would be horrible though.

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    My husband gets motion sick on Space, but not on Big Thunder or Matterhorn. I think it's the darkness element that adds the extra thrill (or in his case, disorientation).

I don't know if I could really choose a favorite, but I will say that when I was pregnant and couldn't ride the thrill rides, I missed Space the most. And I'm not a teenager.
    I would get a little woozy the times I rode it at holiday time (ghost galaxy) but not when regular. But still my least favorite coaster BTMM first, then Screamin' then Matterhorn.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Former Churro Jockey

In terms of Disney roller coasters, I would say that the biggest thrill is Expedition Everest, followed by California Screamin, followed by Space Mountain, and then followed closely by Rock N Roller Coaster. However, in terms of theme, I'd take Space Mountain over California Screamin and maybe it would be tied with Expedition Everest. California Screamin has no theme at all, Rock N Roller Coaster is fun but I think the glow in the dark cardboard cutouts actually detract from the ride, and Expedition Everest was probably the most perfect roller coaster that Disney had ever done before the Yeti died (RIP 2006 - 2007). Space Mountain is awesome because 1) who doesn't dream of riding a rocket through space, 2) the sleds are very comfortable compared to the Matterhorn, Big Thunder, and even California Screamin since you don't need an over-the-shoulder harness, and 3) it's in the dark!!!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    I definitely agree with this. The "broadcast" was a bit silly, but it gave the impression of a fully functioning civilization up in space, so complete that the news report includes a segment on fashion!
    I liked having some videos, but I'm glad that they took out the ones they had. I like corny Disneyland, but these were just too much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12