Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Faerie Godmother

Why Space Mountain?

The consensus seems to be that Space Mountain is the "thrilliest" thrill ride in Disneyland (and consequently the coolest one in the eyes of compulsively bored teenagers), but why that one? It's not actually any faster than the Matterhorn or Big Thunder. Is it because it's indoors and dark and composed almost entirely of tight turns?

Re: Why Space Mountain?

I think the turns and it being in the dark lend to it feeling more thrilling. I think Big Thunder may actually be a tad faster though. Plus, the whole vibe is cooler, I remember the first time my brother's fiance rode it, she was all amped and was like "So, my friends told me it's a roller coaster in the dark, and I thought that didn't sound that cool. But it's a roller coaster IN SPACE. That was awesome!" Also, the sound track lends to it as well.
    "Have I gone mad?"
    "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. "

• Pizza-rella

Because it's like you are riding a space ship through space. The darkness makes it seem faster (it seems faster than Matterhorn to me even though it may not be), and also you can't tell what way you are going to go next like on the other attractions so it gives it an element of surprise. Plus the soundtrack is awesome!
    If I could pick one Disney charater I'm most like, it would be Cinderella. I love to clean and I have an obssesion with shoes!

• Disney Fan 4 Life

My daughter loves being in the dark and not knowing what the next turn will be. Although she discovered that she was less than thrilled with the ghost Galaxy, because she loves the thrills of the coaster but not the pop up ghost. She loves coasters (and has since about 3 when she first rode Matterhorn before the redo). Her favorite Disney Coasters are is Screaming, SM, and BTMRR. And she gets so excited by them, that her less then coaster loving Dad had been converted and loves them all as well.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Faerie Godmother

I thought about the soundtrack being a factor, but the ride's reputation seems to pre-date any on-board music.

• Minion

For coaster thrills at Disneyland I ride Matterhorn, especially the Tomorrowland side.

Space Mountain is too predictable. The old BTMRR had broken in as a wild and wooly ride in the right seat (about 2/3rds back) but the new one feels too smoothed out and has lost the nasty headchopper moments it used to have.

But Matterhorn is still the twisty little devil it's always been. Yep, the new sleds are unfortunate but I don't let that stop me.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    The consensus seems to be that Space Mountain is the "thrilliest" thrill ride in Disneyland (and consequently the coolest one in the eyes of compulsively bored teenagers), but why that one? It's not actually any faster than the Matterhorn or Big Thunder. Is it because it's indoors and dark and composed almost entirely of tight turns?
    Pretty much.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Just wondering....why does it matter? Space Mountain has always been one of my favorites but I don't find it boring nor am I bored when I go on it (and yes, I am a teenager).

For the record, though, Space goes 35 MPH while the Matterhorn goes 27 MPH and Thunder goes 28 MPH.

• Faerie Godmother

Quote Originally Posted by hollyray View Post
    Just wondering....why does it matter?
    Just curious. All three mountain coasters seem about the same to me in terms of motion, so I wondered why Space Mountain was the one with the rep.

I like all 3, but do prefer Space Mt. (not even close to being a bored teenager). For me, I think a lot of it is the darkness/cold factor. The 3 rides are pretty different theme-wise/comfort-wise and that plays a role in my preference.

• Substitute Princess

Space Mountain is an okay ride for me. (From the perspective of a teenager.) I prefer Ghost Galaxy to the original.
    But most of all, I like Thunder Mountain over all the "mountains".

• Minion

As far as roller coasters go, all 3 are pretty tame and meh (I mean, if you want a thrill ride you go to Magic Mountain). Space offers something the other two don't, which of course is that it's in the dark. I dislike the Matterhorn because it rattles and jerks me around so much I end up with a headache. I'm not so much of a fan of BTMRR because I detest lap bars. Even though I have the track of Space memorized, I still find it thrilling.

I enjoy BTMRR as well as the Matterhorn but do not find either one very thrilling. Space Mountain, California Screamin and Tower of Terror are the only 3 rides at DLR I would consider thrilling.

EDIT: Goofy's Sky Coaster as well only for the fear off flying off the track.

Am I the only one who liked Space Mountain before the remodel when the sponsorship between them and fedex was still around? The line queue was more entertaining with those videos to watch, the glass window with you being able to see the ride while waiting in line as people zoomed by in the dark was really cool to see and I liked the soundtrack better. Plus imo, the ride felt like it was faster with the turns much tighter.

Imo everything was knocked down a peg during the remodel. Thats just me though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast