Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

• Not the Hawkguy

Re: Star Wars Marvel Plans for DLR

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    It'd work as a Backlot Studio Tour-like "This is how we make Marvel movies" attraction. The external attraction themeing could be almost anything Hollywood-related (like the Chinese Theater) under those circumstances and still fit the land-theme.
    The other good news: Hollywood Land is already such a terrible mish-mash of theming that a Marvel subland could be the catalyst to actually unify the land into a set time-period/level of detail.

This is, of course, wishful thinking on my part.

• Seed and Mulch

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Global rights are don’t mean anything in a discussion about Florida, which the last time I checked was EAST OF THE MISSISSIPPI where Universal has theme park rights to most characters.

The person that I quoted (”WDS's nRC has been rumored to be completely retimed as either a Spiderman or Iron Man roller coaster.”) mentioned some rumor that Disney World was getting a re-skin to their coaster to include Marvel characters, not that the one that is rumored for CA is going to be a clone of the one in Florida with Marvel characters instead of Aerosmith. If that was what they meant than obviously Disney has no problem using Marvel characters.

However if they were referring to Disney World as implied in their post, then please go back and re-read the legacy agreement that Disney inherited when they purchased Marvel. You will find that global rights have nothing to do with Florida or the eastern half of the US.
    Disney can use Marvel characters, east of the Mississippi, that are not "featured" at Marvel Superhero Island.

"Featured" is the term used in the contract (at least I think it is, it's been years since I've read the contract) with no further clarification. I would suggest that in order to avoid a lengthy (and very expensive) litigation, the word "featured" might as well mean "appears anywhere, in any form (excluding merchandise)" at Marvel Superhero Island.

Almost every popular Marvel character is painted somewhere on a wall, or a mural, at MSH Island (probably to purposefully tie up all the Marvel characters under the contract) ... except for the Guardians of the Galaxy - who are relatively unknown characters and who I can find no record of appearing somewhere on the Island. I would further suggest this is why the property got greenlit as a film in the first place (as well as the superhero cartoon Disney/Marvel is working on). If popular (and GotG showed itself to be so) these properties give Disney a Marvel entry point into WDW; not an entire land or park (like they can build in California), but certainly an attraction or two.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    A DisneyPark is a DisneyPark. It's all the same division and Disney no longer even likes reporting on individual US resorts.
    Disneyland and WDW are not separate companies. When Disney invests in capital projects it needs to borrow money from the banks or sell bonds to investors. The banks and the bond market are going to to look at Disney's assets and its projected revenues and this will essentially determine how much money the company can borrow at any given time, at an interest rate that the stockholders can bear. Now, Shanghai Disneyland is supposedly a joint venture with a state-owned firm in China, isn't it? Technically, Disney shouldn't have to pay for all of it, which does limit Disney's financial liability there. But if Disney is putting money into Shanghai that is going to somewhat limit how much it can put into Disneyland or WDW.
    Last edited by redmars; 08-20-2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: forgot quote

• Not the Hawkguy

Disney can use Marvel characters, east of the Mississippi, that are not "featured" at Marvel Superhero Island.

"Featured" is the term used in the contract (at least I think it is, it's been years since I've read the contract) with no further clarification. I would suggest that in order to avoid a lengthy (and very expensive) litigation, the word "featured" might as well mean "appears anywhere, in any form (excluding merchandise)" at Marvel Superhero Island.

Almost every popular Marvel character is painted somewhere on a wall, or a mural, at MSH Island (probably to purposefully tie up all the Marvel characters under the contract) ... except for the Guardians of the Galaxy - who are relatively unknown characters and who I can find no record of appearing somewhere on the Island. I would further suggest this is why the property got greenlit as a film in the first place (as well as the superhero cartoon Disney/Marvel is working on). If popular (and GotG showed itself to be so) these properties give Disney a Marvel entry point into WDW; not an entire land or park (like they can build in California), but certainly an attraction or two.
    Well, it also helps that the modern incarnation of the Guardians came into existence in 2006 (well after Marvel Superhero Island had opened), and with their mythology tied up with Thanos (the guy who Marvel has teased as their Big Bad since the end of Avengers) they make a perfect entry-point for casual movie-goers into Cosmic Marvel.

Also I'd guess they saw the potential in Rocket Raccoon merchandise and jumped at the opportunity.

• Galactic Member

I'm confused.... So Disney can not use Marvel in WDW but can in DL?
    Galactic Member

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by spacejockey View Post
    I'm confused.... So Disney can not use Marvel in WDW but can in DL?
    In essence, yes. USO's deal with Marvel pre-dates the buyout by Disney, and gave the park rights to the characters within a large radius of their park. That radius apparently includes all of WDW.

Now, there's of course some wording in the contracts that may give Disney some leeway on using certain characters, but Universal is probably going to be rather litigious, not just to protect their current offerings, but also to prevent Disney from capitalizing on their gains.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It'd work as a Backlot Studio Tour-like "This is how we make Marvel movies" attraction. The external attraction themeing could be almost anything Hollywood-related (like the Chinese Theater) under those circumstances and still fit the land-theme.
    Except that Hollywood Lad was supposed to become more period oriented towards the 1940s and not just be a generic, contemporary backlot.

The Rock N Roller Coaster is an example of the best of Disney and the worst of Disney packed into the same attraction. The ride itself is thrilling; the interior queue is well done, including the pre-show; and the Aerosmith music has broad appeal and is ride appropriate. On the other hand, the ride exterior themeing is one of the worst on Disney property (looks like a Costco); this includes the exterior line which is terrible; the cardboard cut outs that surround the ride track took zero effort/money/creativity; and the post-ride store is poorly themed. Overall, it gives the appearance that someone very talented, with appropriate funding, built the interior and ride vehicle/track ... then Disney exported the rest of the attraction to a Six-Flags team working on a barebones budget.
    Disney did not design the track. It is an off-the-shelf Vekoma design. Six Flags even bought their own and placed it in what was then known as Six Flags Holland.

• Special Agent

We're talking about Disney where moving one day is not a guarantee for the next day.
    Exactly. So why get worked up over it? These rumors don't ever tend to be more or less valid than any other rumors coming out of other rumor sites. They all have the same level of validity as any of the other armchair imagineering discussions.

• Seed and Mulch

Except that Hollywood Lad was supposed to become more period oriented towards the 1940s and not just be a generic, contemporary backlot.
    ... then they can theme the exterior building to a 1940s Chinese Theater (or any other famous Hollywood architecture from the 40s). That would not prevent the actual attraction from teaching about contemporary filmmaking techniques.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Exactly. So why get worked up over it? These rumors don't ever tend to be more or less valid than any other rumors coming out of other rumor sites. They all have the same level of validity as any of the other armchair imagineering discussions.
    Passing off Armchair Imagineering as rumor would be lying.

... then they can theme the exterior building to a 1940s Chinese Theater (or any other famous Hollywood architecture from the 40s). That would not prevent the actual attraction from teaching about contemporary filmmaking techniques.
    Strong theme informs more than just exterior aesthetics.

• Seed and Mulch

Strong theme informs more than just exterior aesthetics.
    If you're suggesting every attraction will need to be about something happening in the 1940s in order to be theme-appropriate, I will suggest to you that you are going to be severely disappointed in the land. Even the land's signature "old Hollywood" attraction (the Tower of Terror) incorporates a story that takes place in modern day Hollywood (in a building that was thriving in the 30s and is now abandoned).

• Special Agent

Passing off Armchair Imagineering as rumor would be lying.
    Yes. And we have no way of knowing if those who are sharing the rumors, who anyone in the long list anonymous sources are telling the truth or lying. Even if WDW 19TH was being completely honest with their information, they are still getting second, third or fourth hand information on a subject that is not even being close to being set in stone.

The likelihood of Toontown being replaced by Star Wars is about the same as any other fan created idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    In essence, yes. USO's deal with Marvel pre-dates the buyout by Disney, and gave the park rights to the characters within a large radius of their park. That radius apparently includes all of WDW.

Now, there's of course some wording in the contracts that may give Disney some leeway on using certain characters, but Universal is probably going to be rather litigious, not just to protect their current offerings, but also to prevent Disney from capitalizing on their gains.
    Is the Marvel/Universal deal for "Marvel Characters" in general, or specific characters? If it's for any Marvel character, would they be able to install new characters in IOA at any time, thereby removing them from Disney's ability to use them in Florida?

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    His is the kind of thinking that is EXTREMELY Similar to what was going on at DLR from 1995 to 2004, and it needs to be pointed out. I don't want to see another debacle like a "Pooh 2", another "Tomorrowland '98" TWO, nor do i want to see the DLR go through another debacle like a second "DCA 1.0" . And even if this is just a trial balloon, to be sent up in the air, (the kind of thinking like completely demolishing Toontown), that kind of trial balloon ought to be obliterated into oblivion. Guests and Disneyland fans should voice their gut reactions about these ideas proposed by staggs.
    I hope you realize that Toon Town itself was a product of the type of thinking you are railing against. It's the main reason why Toon Town has become more or less a single-attraction, dead land. As other posters have said, Toon Town, upon opening, was a great addition to DL. The main problem TDA created for themselves was the fact that most of the properties that rested inside Toon Down (Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, etc.) did not last pas their surge in the '90's and will probably never return to their former glory. As a result, Toon Town became and continues to become increasingly outdated. Even Roger Rabbit is virtually unknown to people aged 20 and younger. When a lands marquee attraction is based on a franchise that is almost entirely forgotten by new generations, you're going to have issues trying to keep people in the land. Especially when the offerings of the rest of the land aren't anything to write home about (Mickey and Minnie's house is fun and well-realized but not exactly e-ticket fare). The smart thing to do with Toon Town would have been to steer clear of the '90's properties (or at least heavily minimized their presence) and focus on classic Disney animation, particularly the Silly Symphony era.

I don't want to see Toon Town go. I'd like to see it revitalize and renovated. It would be great to see Mickey get his own e-ticket attraction. If it did go, I'd much rather prefer a fantasyland expansion but Disney needs an answer to Potterville moving in up the freeway in 2016 so I can understand if they went that route.

Regardless, these are all just rumors and I really doubt all (or any) of this would come to pass.
    "Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey."
    -
    G.K. Chesterton

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWhale View Post
    ...focus on classic Disney animation, particularly the Silly Symphony era.

I don't want to see Toon Town go. I'd like to see it revitalize and renovated. It would be great to see Mickey get his own e-ticket attraction.
    YES! Totally agree with you on all points White Whale. I'm all for an improved/expanded Toontown and more of classic, old-school Disney represented in the parks, especially and most appropriately in WALT's park. Silly Symphonies, the old cartoon shorts of Mickey, Donald, Goof, Chip 'n Dale, Minnie Daisy, etc. In my opinion Toontown is too small a nod to the 1920-1950s era of Disney cartoons. I would LOVE to see much more of it in the forms of an expanded land (Toontown), new rides, themed stores and perhaps a table service restaurant.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast