• Banned User

Lightbulb Space Mountain........ a Da Vinci Invention that soon became the war tank?

AY DIOS MIO!! I always seem to erase a thread by acedent right before i post it, i am cursed!
    ok, im gonna type this shprter cause i hate retyping! Ok, I have a few questions about Space Mountain!

1) As I was walking out of Geometry class, i passed a few posters of our Da Vinci projects(that i didnt do) and i passed a poster that had a picture of Da Vinci's armored car! When i first saw it, i was like "Cool! A Picture of Space Mountain!" then it took me a while(and another look) to relize it was a picture of Da Vinci's idea of an armored car(now known as the Tank)! It looked exactly like Space Mountain!! I was astonished! So I was wondering, Is Space Mountain modeled after the armored car? Does this say something about Space Mountain?(like maybe its a futuristic model of war ships of the future)

2) When I first rode Space Mountain a few weeks ago(3 times) i was astonished by the special effects and the ride itself and music! But when i got home and read a interview with Chrissie Allen on Space Mountain, she said that the new effect included Nebulae, comets, and Astroids! Then i scanned my memory, and then i came to the conclusion that the only projection i saw were of astroids! This disapointed me, because i was looking forward to seeing projections of nebulae(i read it before) and all i got were defected projections of astroids! So I was wondering, are the Nebulae projections really there? I probably might of missed them, but idk.

3) When I first Entered the quae, i noticed many signs that said "Space Port"! And I was like "Huh? I thought this was supposed to be a mountain, not a Space Port!" And I was wondering why they named Space Mountain Space Mountain, I do remeber reading, that during its concept stage, it was refered to as Space Posrt, but i thought they abandoned it, because they made it a mountain, not a port! So, why Space Mountain? Was Space Port too cheezy?

Well, thats all me questions, and i would apriciate answers please! Thanx

-Joe

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Space Mountain........ a Da Vinci Invention that soon became the war tank?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183
    2) When I first rode Space Mountain a few weeks ago(3 times) i was astonished by the special effects and the ride itself and music! But when i got home and read a interview with Chrissie Allen on Space Mountain, she said that the new effect included Nebulae, comets, and Astroids! Then i scanned my memory, and then i came to the conclusion that the only projection i saw were of astroids! This disapointed me, because i was looking forward to seeing projections of nebulae(i read it before) and all i got were defected projections of astroids! So I was wondering, are the Nebulae projections really there? I probably might of missed them, but idk.
    I think the nebulae and other effects of that sort may have been held off last minute so they could be expanded features on the upcoming Rock It Mountain. Its just a guess, but since thats the only idea I can think of since there are clearly no nebulae or big asteroid effects in the ride save for the mediocre projected asteroids on the walls/ceiling.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

I am hoping this is true, because Nebulae are cool!

• The one, the only...

I think that the term mountain refers to its size and basic shape. The designers were looking at it as a man-made mountain. This was a great name for the ride. I think that it is suppose to envision a challenge as climbing a mountain would. But you are right, the theming inside is of a space port that is going to launch you into space.

Although the theming sounds confusing when explained, on a basic emotional level it communicates challenge, mystery, exploration, and romance. It is a ride that both kids and adults love to ride, so basically the theme is a hit.

As to the projections, I believe that there is a nebula projected on the end of the first lift. It might just be a galaxy, but it is hard to tell.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Off-topic, slightly... but I love the way that the new Space Mountain takes little things from the Paris and WDW Space Mountains as like little tributes.

Like how the beginning of the our onboard audio is the same as the exit queue music at WDW. How we have a blue warp tunnel like WDW and the tribute to the cannon up the second lift hill from Paris (sans powered launch). Just nice touches.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer183

1) As I was walking out of Geometry class, i passed a few posters of our Da Vinci projects(that i didnt do) and i passed a poster that had a picture of Da Vinci's armored car! When i first saw it, i was like "Cool! A Picture of Space Mountain!" then it took me a while(and another look) to relize it was a picture of Da Vinci's idea of an armored car(now known as the Tank)! It looked exactly like Space Mountain!! I was astonished! So I was wondering, Is Space Mountain modeled after the armored car? Does this say something about Space Mountain?(like maybe its a futuristic model of war ships of the future)
    ok, while I can't speak for the relation to Da Vinci, in the new mural in Tomorrowland above Buzz Lightyear there are many different "space mountains" that are space ships (aka war ships of the future). So maybe somewhere the design is based on Da Vinci's work.

Also, as for the name Space Mountain, it was built before Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain, so it didn't get the name to keep the Mountain theme. In maps of the park where it is a future attraction is is indeed listed as Space Port & Rocket Flight. Though at the time they also had Flight to the Moon and the Rocket Jets, so it would have been confusing to some people. The name is likely purely just from its looking like a futuristic mountain.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Munchings & Crunchings

I think some of the effects are not on right now. I noticed when I rode it that there is a giant rotating asteroid at the top of the lift hill that is dark, and appears to just be waiting to be lit up. I would not be surprised if they held back on all the effects until RockIt Mountain's debut.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

they tried to have the asteroid lit up when it officially opened, but the light leaked too much off the asteroid and made the area too light. I expect it to be lit up with other effects when Rock It Mountain opens

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Street Rat

I saw all the designs for Da Vinci's creations at his house in Amboise, France. I remember looking at the Tank.

• Once more, with feeling!

Under the blue and pink tarps of the French Market

I think I smell the plot for the next Dan Brown book...

• Banned User

Thanx for the sorta answers! But i still feel that Space Mountain still lacks a back story! I mean the Space Mountain i am currently imagineering has a whole backstory to it! Its to be a actual Space Port that crashed(if you look closely when im finished, youll notice you cant tell which is true) in a mountains peak, or a base built around a mountainous temple! Inside you'll notice it'll be like a temple to grek gods! and i wont say anymore, but mine is mostly based on Astrology, not astronomy! yea, but thanx for the answers! And LOL to the Dan Brown Comment, i thought that too!

as far as a 'nebulae' efect..... like someone else mentioned.. at the end of the main cool 'spinning effect' lift tunnel... you do, in fact, see what appears tro be either a nebuale or galaxy... but then the second you enter 'space'...it disappears. I do think THAT lift and whole effect is really cool though.

• Banned User

I do like the begining though, and right when you enter space it relly looks like it! the stars arent moving, some are diffrent slightly colors(if i remember correctly) and i kinda didsee a galaxy thing, but it was prob. too blury to notice(untill, no that i think of it). But i still dont like that its all nothing but white dots that move around like crazy( the only thing that bothers me!)

I actually think they may have modeled the flying saucers after Da Vinci's Tank, since they looked almost the same as Space Mountain.... since they kinda modeled Space after the flying saucers, because (I think) they were on the same spot. BTW this is Da Vinci's tank:

Anyways.... I think this is much freakier....

It's the Basilic of Guadalupe in Mexico.... and John Hench's original painting of Space Mountain.... both built on the same year....
    I have a dream
    A song to sing
    To help me cope
    Trough everything

If you see the wonder
    of a FairyTale
    You can take the future
    even if you fail...

I believe in Angels
    Something good in everything I see
    I believe in Angels
    When I know the time is right for me...

I'll cross the stream.... I have a dream

• Banned User

Ooo, thanx for the pics Mr. Disney, and that is kinda freaky!! Maybe WDI is trying to tell us something!! Yea well, i still think its modeled after Da Vinci and i hope the effects come on with Rockit Miountain! But now i think im becomeing obssesed(or just going back to my Imagineer roots)! I am imagineering more than usual, mainly reimagineering a space mountain and TL based on the Ancient Tomorrow! anyways thanx!