Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

sad that older people still have a little problem with it

Gay days are about loving and having fun in the park
    its not like its a gay club in west hollywood at 2am lol

family and friends of gay ppl also join in and wear Red
    the day is about acceptance and love

so if Disney doesnt have a problem with it why do u ?
    they make and sell a Rainbow Mickey head for a reason
    and its not cos it looks pretty lol
    last year Disney even sold a rainbow cake during those days and had a pin with Mickey riding a Rainbow

as u can see Gay Days are about Family
    (i dont know these ppl its on Google)

^^^^^^this

Quote Originally Posted by Mykayla View Post

last year Disney even sold a rainbow cake during those days and had a pin with Mickey riding a Rainbow

I wholeheartedly second this, as well as many of the other posts!

I agree! It's a celebration for families, friends and couples.
    A time to celebrate without feeling shamed...
    Name:  9220492.0.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  96.9 KB
    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay, wonderful feeling, wonderful day!
    Name:  135645_10151106427667989_1572124459_o.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  81.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Hillchat View Post
    I wholeheartedly second this, as well as many of the other posts!

• -

They sold that stuff to make money and for PR. Nothing else. If Disney didn't think they could get something out of it, the rainbow stuff wouldn't have found its way onto the shelves.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Seed and Mulch

sad that older people still have a little
    Actually, Gay Days are about the promotion of homosexual rights (in other words, politics). Going to the park with your family (whether you happen to be gay or straight) is "about family". Going to the park with your family on Gay Day while wearing a "Gay Days" t-shirt is about politics.

You can support gay marriage rights (in whole or in part) and still find the concept of "Gay Day" at Disneyland abhorrent; based on the Balkanization of society and the proliferation of identity politics. Additionally, I reserve the right to complain about inappropriate public behavior (offensive clothing, over-the-top PDAs, foul language, etc) regardless of the person's sexual orientation - Sorry, I don't consider "I'm gay and it's Gay Day so it's expected" a license to behave boorishly.
    Last edited by SunsetLament; 08-26-2014 at 02:18 AM.

•   
    • Joe Rohde's Earring

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    Actually, Gay Days are about the promotion of homosexual rights (in other words, politics). Going to the park with your family (whether you happen to be gay or straight) is "about family". Going to the park with your family on Gay Day while wearing a "Gay Days" t-shirt is about politics.
    Bingo.

"Seeing the Yeti will really startle guests because it is so real, so convincing." -Joe Rohde

PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by jsciv View Post
    The LGBT community doesn't want to be segregated, they want to feel included. And by gathering in numbers they feel safe and included when the rest of the year many feel persecuted. If you don't understand the need then you very likely aren't in a minority that's been persecuted.

That said, plenty of racial and cultural groups have events in different places around the world: maybe those groups you mentioned don't have days at Disneyland or WDW, but they do have days and celebrations unique to their culture.
    Indeed. I'm getting reeeeeeeeeeeally annoyed with a good number of these posts on this thread that keep going "well why dont we have this day?" Or why dont we have that day".

Seriously people! You do know that these events are self organized, right? There was no higher up that anointed Gay Days or Gay Pride to be a thing. Celebration of one's culture is something that originates from the culture itself. I dont get why people feel constantly butt hurt by these concepts unless theyre just jealous.

And I'm also tired of the claim that this is being a setback to equality. There is little harm in one person wanting to embrace or identify themselves with their particular culture.

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Indeed. I'm getting reeeeeeeeeeeally annoyed with a good number of these posts on this thread that keep going "well why dont we have this day?" Or why dont we have that day".

Seriously people! You do know that these events are self organized, right? There was no higher up that anointed Gay Days or Gay Pride to be a thing. Celebration of one's culture is something that originates from the culture itself. I dont get why people feel constantly butt hurt by these concepts unless theyre just jealous.

And I'm also tired of the claim that this is being a setback to equality. There is little harm in one person wanting to embrace or identify themselves with their particular culture.
    The problem is the groups that want to ram their "culture" down the throats of everyone else in some mass political act where political statements don't belong. If a group any group wants to make political statements feel free to march on the steps of the state or federal capital. But kindly leave places like Disney out of it.

The part I find nuttiest about some of the posts is the victimization some seem to feel. I'm a minority and it shows, when I was a kid I tried to stay inside out of the sun thinking I would be white - didn't work but when you are a kid you don't know that. My point is some of us minorities don't have the opportunity to blend in with the majority when we want to and then pop out when want to on a gay day. So excuse me if I don't see you as as much of a victim as you seem to see yourself. On any given day at Disney a gay couple could visit and unless they are holding hands or engaging in PDAs, no one would know or even give them a second look...you think other minority's have that ability to fit in if they want?

I understand anger at how the tax and some corporate benefits treat you poorly, but having a gay day doesn't change that nor even direct your message to anyone that can change that. It does however alienate the entire community in the eyes of some so I just don't see the point. It reminds me of a small town where a church that didn't believe in dancing managed to get control of the town council. They promptly banned dancing, it didn't endear anyone to their church... Had they spent the same time and energy helping people instead of forcing themselves on everyone they could have made the town better as a whole and become more accepted by all. It might not have given instant results like eliminating dancing with the stroke of a pen but those instant results weren't lasting either.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    The problem is the groups that want to ram their "culture" down the throats of everyone else in some mass political act where political statements don't belong. If a group any group wants to make political statements feel free to march on the steps of the state or federal capital. But kindly leave places like Disney out of it.

The part I find nuttiest about some of the posts is the victimization some seem to feel. I'm a minority and it shows, when I was a kid I tried to stay inside out of the sun thinking I would be white - didn't work but when you are a kid you don't know that. My point is some of us minorities don't have the opportunity to blend in with the majority when we want to and then pop out when want to on a gay day. So excuse me if I don't see you as as much of a victim as you seem to see yourself. On any given day at Disney a gay couple could visit and unless they are holding hands or engaging in PDAs, no one would know or even give them a second look...you think other minority's have that ability to fit in if they want?

I understand anger at how the tax and some corporate benefits treat you poorly, but having a gay day doesn't change that nor even direct your message to anyone that can change that. It does however alienate the entire community in the eyes of some so I just don't see the point. It reminds me of a small town where a church that didn't believe in dancing managed to get control of the town council. They promptly banned dancing, it didn't endear anyone to their church... Had they spent the same time and energy helping people instead of forcing themselves on everyone they could have made the town better as a whole and become more accepted by all. It might not have given instant results like eliminating dancing with the stroke of a pen but those instant results weren't lasting either.
    I've already addressed one particular point in an earlier post: not all events centered around gay people are intended to be political. Unless the people participating in Gay Days are going into the parks chanting the classic phrase "we're here, we're *****. Get used to it" or are passing out flyers adking people to take part in a particular LGBT related cause, I dont understand where this assumption comes from that this annual gathering is meant to be political. I think people are generalizing minorities with politics way too much here.

• Chief Troublemaker

Don't generalize. My 91 year old mother is pro-Gay Rights. She feels this world needs all the love it can get and that it doesn't matter who you are, love is love.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by laurainwonderland View Post
    I agree! It's a celebration for families, friends and couples.
    A time to celebrate without feeling shamed...
    Name:  9220492.0.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  96.9 KB
    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay, wonderful feeling, wonderful day!
    Name:  135645_10151106427667989_1572124459_o.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  81.8 KB
    Regardless of whether it's ____ day, that does look like a real inconvenience. I mean, for a local it's OK, for someone who is in a once in a lifetime trip to Disneyland... not so much.

I love going with my two young daughters. It exposes them to diversity and I find it a teachable experience. Plus I love the positive energy and they're easy on the eyeballs.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    It reminds me of a small town where a church that didn't believe in dancing managed to get control of the town council. They promptly banned dancing, it didn't endear anyone to their church... Had they spent the same time and energy helping people instead of forcing themselves on everyone they could have made the town better as a whole and become more accepted by all. It might not have given instant results like eliminating dancing with the stroke of a pen but those instant results weren't lasting either.
    Then Kevin Bacon saved the day!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Then Kevin Bacon saved the day!
    Sadly it happened before the movie came out, and there was no Kevin Bacon moment. I recall they finally caved into the parents and allowed the school to have a dance in the school gym, but it took much longer to undo the city ordinances they pushed through which banned any establishment allowing a dance within so many feet of a residential neighborhood, school or church... which pretty much made the town dance free.

Some of the locals still talk with disgust about the church that was behind it all to this day, and that happened almost 40 years ago... I seriously doubt they managed to sway anyone to join their church when all was said and done.
    Last edited by Mackster; 08-26-2014 at 09:04 AM.

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast