Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 368
  1. #151

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    164

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    If you care about "Gay Days" then you have to acknowledge that you have homophobic tendencies. I am not saying your a horrible person for having those tendencies, I just think you need to acknowledge that part of yourself. Almost everyone has some prejudices. Acknowledging those parts of ourselves and giving everyone the same respect, in spite of ourselves make us better human beings. I would bring my family to Disneyland during "Gay Days" or any other day for that matter. Unless a group of Park goers are rude or causing a disruption I will continue to enjoy the park and go about my day unfazed. If my kids asked about what they see, I would simply tell them the truth. There are different kinds of love in the world.

  2. #152

    • Don't Mess With The Duck!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Santa Rosa, California - USA
    Posts
    3,640

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    Quote Originally Posted by RosevilleDisfan View Post
    If you care about "Gay Days" then you have to acknowledge that you have homophobic tendencies. I am not saying your a horrible person for having those tendencies, I just think you need to acknowledge that part of yourself. Almost everyone has some prejudices. Acknowledging those parts of ourselves and giving everyone the same respect, in spite of ourselves make us better human beings. I would bring my family to Disneyland during "Gay Days" or any other day for that matter. Unless a group of Park goers are rude or causing a disruption I will continue to enjoy the park and go about my day unfazed. If my kids asked about what they see, I would simply tell them the truth. There are different kinds of love in the world.
    **insert facepalm here**

  3. #153

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    92

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    Quote Originally Posted by RosevilleDisfan View Post
    If you care about "Gay Days" then you have to acknowledge that you have homophobic tendencies.
    That does not logically follow. It also seems to be a form of the "poisoning the well" fallacy.

  4. #154

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    519

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    Quote Originally Posted by RosevilleDisfan View Post
    If you care about "Gay Days" then you have to acknowledge that you have homophobic tendencies. I am not saying your a horrible person for having those tendencies, I just think you need to acknowledge that part of yourself. Almost everyone has some prejudices. Acknowledging those parts of ourselves and giving everyone the same respect, in spite of ourselves make us better human beings. I would bring my family to Disneyland during "Gay Days" or any other day for that matter. Unless a group of Park goers are rude or causing a disruption I will continue to enjoy the park and go about my day unfazed. If my kids asked about what they see, I would simply tell them the truth. There are different kinds of love in the world.
    Your logic is flawed.

    You are simply making the same standard gay activist claim that if you don't agree with our agenda your a homophobe. Which kind of ignores that homophobic actually means... it means a fear of homosexuals, not a hatred of them. I have cynophobia that was a result of being attacked by a dog when I was a kid. It doesn't mean I hate dogs. I don't, I've even had a small dog before that I really liked. As for gay days I find them offensive, just as I would find any politically motivated thing offensive at Disney... I don't fear homosexuals, one of my best friends in high school came out of the closet when we were in college, I didn't stop being his friend like some others did - because I didn't fear him.

    Using tactics like, "Oh you don't like gay days, you must be homophobic," doesn't help the cause of gay rights... if anything it just alienated people that don't agree with it but would otherwise not care either way about your cause. Don't shoot yourself in the foot making wild accusations about people because they don't like the color of your shirt, its foolish at best.

  5. #155

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    173

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    The problem is the groups that want to ram their "culture" down the throats of everyone else in some mass political act where political statements don't belong. If a group any group wants to make political statements feel free to march on the steps of the state or federal capital. But kindly leave places like Disney out of it.
    You would only feel like it's a political onslaught if you disagreed with an agenda. If you are like me, all you see is a lot of happy people wearing red. I would understand if there were organized groups of bible beaters preaching pro-life, because I vehemently disagree with that viewpoint. (Not to start that conversation.)

    Disney has a history of political upheaval inside the gates of the Magic Kingdom. See the Yippie Riots of 1970. Disney is well aware of what can happen if a group were to show up purely to further their political agenda. I don't see that here. I see a community who came together to celebrate just one feature that makes them unique.

    Really, we're talking about one, maybe two days A YEAR. If it really bothered someone that much, couldn't they marathon something on Netflix that day instead?

    Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I've already addressed one particular point in an earlier post: not all events centered around gay people are intended to be political. Unless the people participating in Gay Days are going into the parks chanting the classic phrase "we're here, we're *****. Get used to it" or are passing out flyers adking people to take part in a particular LGBT related cause, I dont understand where this assumption comes from that this annual gathering is meant to be political. I think people are generalizing minorities with politics way too much here.
    I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by RosevilleDisfan View Post
    If you care about "Gay Days" then you have to acknowledge that you have homophobic tendencies. I am not saying your a horrible person for having those tendencies, I just think you need to acknowledge that part of yourself. Almost everyone has some prejudices. Acknowledging those parts of ourselves and giving everyone the same respect, in spite of ourselves make us better human beings. I would bring my family to Disneyland during "Gay Days" or any other day for that matter. Unless a group of Park goers are rude or causing a disruption I will continue to enjoy the park and go about my day unfazed. If my kids asked about what they see, I would simply tell them the truth. There are different kinds of love in the world.
    I will be the first to admit that I may harbor a prejudice born of ignorance. What makes me different is that I have a desire to overcome the prejudicial thoughts and presumptions and learn about what others go through with their differences. If I have questions, I have wonderful friends who are willing to be open and honest about what it's like. What they can't answer themselves, they point me in a direction. I refuse to let fear and prejudice rule my life. Gay people are not dangerous. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean he/she automatically wants to have sex with me. (Though if you do, hit me up. I'm kinda in a dry spell here. )

    If parents find themselves at Disneyland on Gay Days and they were not aware, then use this opportunity to engage in a dialogue with their kids. Ask them what they think is different. They will probably see that there really are no differences. There are many couples who are willing to answer questions. People are people, and they want to have fun in the parks too. Don't hold that against them.

  6. #156

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    29

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    You are simply making the same standard gay activist claim that if you don't agree with our agenda your a homophobe.
    Well, the "agenda" is that gay people be treated with the same decency and dignity as straight people, if someone doesn't agree with that then how could they not be a homophobe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    Which kind of ignores that homophobic actually means... it means a fear of homosexuals, not a hatred of them. I have cynophobia that was a result of being attacked by a dog when I was a kid. It doesn't mean I hate dogs. I don't, I've even had a small dog before that I really liked. As for gay days I find them offensive, just as I would find any politically motivated thing offensive at Disney... I don't fear homosexuals, one of my best friends in high school came out of the closet when we were in college, I didn't stop being his friend like some others did - because I didn't fear him.
    In the common parlance, "homophobia" means hatred of gays, even though literally it should be fear like you say.

    As for "politically motivated things at DL," I've mentioned earlier in this thread that I have no time for them (whether or not I agree with the politics), but honestly Gay Days aren't about furthering The Cause, they're about people just having some fun in a group.

  7. #157

    • Former Churro Jockey
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westminster, CA
    Posts
    1,509

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    Quote Originally Posted by jsciv View Post
    I don't know that anyone speaking in this thread has firsthand knowledge of that.
    Well as a matter of fact...

    I actually worked the last two private parties. If I remember correctly I believe they were called Odyssey Nights. They were always very nice and I never once saw an offensive t-shirt or any excessive public displays of affection. I also worked a lot of other private parties as well. They all stopped around 1999. The last one I remember was the Harvest Crusade in late summer / early fall of 1999. They were already trying to stop the after hours private parties (Harvest Crusade was a blended event where day guests were allowed to stay for the event) and instead were focusing on renting out the (at the time) Festival Arena for corporate events held duing regular park hours.

    I've never been during one of the Gay Days now because I'm afraid it will be too crowded, but I would take 100 Gay Days over one single day a WDW during the National Cheerleading Finals. I made that mistake a few years ago and I went during the first week of December. There were thousands of groups of junior high and high school cheerleaders, and every time they saw one another, they would do a chant and then the other group would do their chant even louder and so on EVEN ON THE RIDES! It takes a lot to ruin a day at a Disney park for me. This did it.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

    My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

  8. #158

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    92

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    The problem is the groups that want to ram their "culture" down the throats of everyone else in some mass political act where political statements don't belong. If a group any group wants to make political statements feel free to march on the steps of the state or federal capital. But kindly leave places like Disney out of it.
    While some part of the origin of Gay Days was very probably political, much like American culture itself, Gay Days has evolved. It is as much about gathering with your chosen family as it is about anything else these days. Pride parades remain more political, but Gay Days has evolved to much more of a celebration of family than a political statement.

    Characterizing it as "ramming 'culture' down the throat" implies that there's something wrong with the culture or that the culture is offensive. While individual members of the event may engage in aberrant behavior, the event itself is not "ramming" I think....

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    On any given day at Disney a gay couple could visit and unless they are holding hands or engaging in PDAs, no one would know or even give them a second look...you think other minority's have that ability to fit in if they want?
    Because they can hide, they should? Because they can remain in the closet they are less persecuted? The gay rights struggle does pale compared to racial struggles in this world's history. But that doesn't mean you can minimize the gay rights struggle just because some members of the minority can pass as the majority. It's still real inequality and it's still socially accepted in many places to consider homosexuals less than human.

  9. #159

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    173

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    Quote Originally Posted by big d View Post
    i would take 100 gay days over one single day a wdw during the national cheerleading finals.
    this.

  10. #160

    • Seed and Mulch
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    328

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    Quote Originally Posted by amyuilani View Post
    If parents find themselves at Disneyland on Gay Days and they were not aware, then use this opportunity to engage in a dialogue with their kids. Ask them what they think is different.
    What you fail to realize is that some (the vast majority?) of people don't feel like having a discussion with their kids regarding homosexuality (or any sexuality) while on vacation at Disneyland. They shouldn't be obligated to because somebody else feels like making a political statement and forcing their hands (which is exactly what Gay Day is ... a political statement on the merits of homosexuality); it's inappropriate, just like hundreds of other political topics. Those kids belong to their parents, not to you - and those parents should be able to determine what/when their kids are introduced to the topic on their own timetable.


  11. #161

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    173

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    What you fail to realize is that some (the vast majority?) of people don't feel like having a discussion with their kids regarding homosexuality (or any sexuality) while on vacation at Disneyland. They shouldn't be obligated to because somebody else feels like making a political statement and forcing their hands (which is exactly what Gay Day is ... a political statement on the merits of homosexuality); it's inappropriate, just like hundreds of other political topics. Those kids belong to their parents, not to you - and those parents should be able to determine what/when their kids are introduced to the topic on their own timetable.
    I love when people presume I know or don't know something.

    I am not suggesting using the Toy Story wait time to have this conversation. But know that you have a basis from which to jump start a conversation. I know many parents (not the "vast majority," which you cannot confirm) will not have this conversation. So be it. It's unfortunate because silence breeds ignorance.
    Last edited by amyuilani; 08-26-2014 at 10:49 AM.

  12. #162

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    148

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    A lot of comments in this thread are an example of why Gay Days are needed.

    As for people making this ABOUT THE CHILDRENZ...what do you say to them when they ask why straight couples are holding hands and kissing? Do you go into detail about every little thing? Or do you go....they like each other and that is what adults do. Instead of making it a big "political" deal when your kid asks about a gay couple just say some boys like girls and some boys like boys and vice versa. 99 out of 100 times the kid will go oh okay and move on with life. Because it is the adults making into a "nonfamily friendly" situation, not the kids.

  13. #163

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ozark MO
    Posts
    118

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    Gay Days coincided with one of the Halloween parties a few years ago. It happened to be the day I was taking my daughter and I was not aware. No big deal though. There were a couple of shirts that had questionable stuff on them, but that seems to be the norm any more.The few guest that I could distinctly tell were there for gay days were polite and respectful.

  14. #164

    • Seed and Mulch
    • Online

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    328

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    Quote Originally Posted by amyuilani View Post
    It's unfortunate because silence breeds ignorance.
    Maybe, maybe not. But that is their decision to make, not yours. People go to Disneyland to escape the real world and for a family friendly atmosphere (aka, the place strives to be appropriate for those of all ages), not to be inundated with politics.


  15. #165

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    92

    Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

    Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    People go to Disneyland to escape the real world and for a family friendly atmosphere (aka, the place strives to be appropriate for those of all ages), not to be inundated with politics.
    People holding hands and wearing red shirts is not appropriate for all ages?

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What are you wearing to Gay Days?
    By Princess Buttercup in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 10-10-2007, 09:23 AM
  2. Re: What are you wearing to Gay Days? (Shirt for sale)
    By thereviewer in forum Community Outpost
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 11:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •