Page 1 of 25 123411 ... LastLast

• Donald's #1 Fan

What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

First of all -can we try and not turn this into a X / Y / Z bashing thing, please?

Here's the thing. I sincerely don't understand Gay Days, and would not want to attend the park during them.

Wait. Before you start the personal attacks, etc., hear me out on this one.

I think of Disneyland as a family friendly place. As such, I see no reason why I'd want to associate the park with anything other than family friendly events. Rallies, get togethers, birthdays - no big deal.

The thing about Gay Days is that it feels to me sort of an event based on sexual preferences - and I see no reason whatsoever why such a thing should happen at Disneyland. Yes. That also means I'd never go to DL during, say, Straight Days. Or Bi Days. Or Alcohol Drinkers Days. Or PotHead Nights. Or Black Power Afternoons. Or White Dawns. Or.. you get the idea...

So - I have no clue why anyone would want to celebrate a day devoted to gay people. At school, my son is taught by openly gay teachers, straight teachers, etc. and he has been shown to openly embrace anyone without thinking about sexual preference, race, etc. Somehow, Gay Days feels so out of place at DL I can't believe it's being held.

Opinions?

• The Tomorrowland One

Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

You are fine with rallies at the park yet have issues when this rally is held by a bunch of people who are very open about their sexual orientation? Yes, it has gotten large and there are some who are very, erm, boisterous about it. But I personally do not see any issues with an outside organization using a public space to hold their event.

I could see why someone may not understand why it means something to a group of people. But here's one (possible) reason as to why it works.

Well first, let me say that there seems to be some sort of subtextual implication that Gay Days is not yet family friendly, but yet it is. It's about "openly embracing" anyone and everyone, regardless of sexual orientation. It's about tolerance. What's more family friendly than that?

And second of all, we all have personal connections to the park, which is why we're here. We all care about it for different reasons. Even though this sort of societal change which is growing more and more accepting of "alternative lifestyles" is relatively recent, coming "out of the closet" is still a process. However, Disneyland has long been the place where being yourself is okay. Ideally, a place without judgment and a safe haven from the prejudices of reality. So Gay Days can be seen as a celebration of safety, happiness, and the nostalgia of being able to be yourself, if only for one day.

Well you already said you wouldn't go when they are happening so why does it affect you if they have it or not? And I don't see why it wouldn't be considered family friendly.

• formerly very helpful

What's not family friendly about celebrating love, which often leads to families?

• ~

Quote Originally Posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
    Well first, let me say that there seems to be some sort of subtextual implication that Gay Days is not yet family friendly, but yet it is. It's about "openly embracing" anyone and everyone, regardless of sexual orientation. It's about tolerance. What's more family friendly than that?

[...] However, Disneyland has long been the place where being yourself is okay. Ideally, a place without judgment and a safe haven from the prejudices of reality. So Gay Days can be seen as a celebration of safety, happiness, and the nostalgia of being able to be yourself, if only for one day.
    All of this. Well said. Gay Days isn't just about "sexual preferences," it's about coming together to a place to celebrate love, representation, families, and being yourself—in a way, to fight against the mentality that gay pride is overtly sexual and not family friendly. Lindsay Ellis (of That Guy with the Glasses fame) and Rantasmo collaborated on a video about the LGBT community and representation in Disney in which they briefly covered Gay Days and expressed everything better than I can:

"The Disney Parks have, in part from their own encouragement, become something of a safe space for the gay community, a community which by in large already pretty found products. But why Disney? Really, why not? One answer, the answer that you'll get from any gay political organization, is that more gay couples have children. And, yeah, maybe they aren't into the flashiness of Pride. It's reassuring to be able to come to a place and see that your family isn't that unusual. There are lots of families like yours. On top of that, a Gay Day at the Magic Kingdom shows Joanne and Cletus, our Midwestern straw men, that many gays just want to ride a roller coaster with their partner, just like any other couple."
    Full link for those are interested, this portion is pulled from about 12:30 to 13:15.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

At the risk of getting labeled, from my prospective I believe the OP's point is that society has taken leaps and bounds towards accepting people as they come. So there seems to be less of a need for special days only for a particular sexual orientation.

As for Disneyland being a place of respite, keep in mind that Disneyland had restrictions in the past, keeping male guests with long hair out. (Disneyland had quite a restrictive dress code for guests and workers). And I think it was only in recent years that male cast members could have facial hair. I can remember in the early '80's, they kept out a family friend's daughter who had a dyed Mohawk. Not to mention they would not hire overweight folks for years because they were hiring a "role" and size mattered for it. It's nice that The company got with the times eventually so that everyone is acceptable
    Last edited by Acpisme; 08-24-2014 at 08:40 PM.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• The doctor is in

I unknowingly attended during a "Gay Day" a couple years ago and all I noticed was a lot of guests being a little more flamboyant just because they could be. A lot of them had kids with them and I didn't notice anyone exercising any inappropriate PDA or anything like that. I saw a lot of rainbow Mickey pins and whatnot but nothing to be overly distracting.

One thing to remember is the special days that certain groups have adopted aren't official Disney events. They are organized among the groups and if the days catch on then great for the group. It's not like you walk down Main Street and see rainbow flags lined along the buildings or anything like that.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Disneyland is supposed to be "The Happiest Place on Earth".
    When I see gay couples walking arm in arm or holding hands as they walk through Disneyland, feeling free to show the same kind of affection that straight couples regularly do - without anyone harassing them in any manner, no one calling them names, trying to beat them up, none of the BS that gay friends and family have had to deal with for years, and still do some places today - they seem pretty happy, and I am very happy for them!
    Why not have a special day to celebrate this freedom from oppression at this happy place?

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Arrow Re: What's your position on Gay Days? I find them rather puzzling...

As a gay man, I find Gay Days to be insulting and hypocritical. Supposedly we (gays) want to be treated as equals, yet "the community" continues to do things which do not serve that purpose. If Gay Days were truly about just loving EVERYBODY and not just a select group, then the event wouldn't be called GAY Days. It would be called Love & Harmony Days. I'm not going to get overly political here, as that is best suited for elsewhere on MiceChat, but if the gay populous on Earth want to be treated as equals, they need to start acting like equals. Certain things had their time and place in the past, but as times change, so should the mindset and actions of those demanding equality, be they gay, straight, black, white, short, tall, thin, fat, Catholic, Jewish, American, Iranian, etc.
    Last edited by Quacky4Donald; 08-24-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Clarification

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Furthermore, I go to Disneyland to escape reality. I don't want to see political or social issues flung in my face when I'm at the parks. If I wanted to deal with gay rights, I'd go to a gay rights meeting at The Castro in San Francisco. Disneyland is not the time, nor the place, to be forcing one's beliefs on LGBT(Q) issues in everybody's faces.

• world class bilge rat

I have nothing whatsoever against gays, but I don't think they (or anyone else) should have a special day at DL.

If they have a special day, then any other group should have one too.

I've spent 40 years in the heavy construction trades, how about a construction worker day. Since we're generally looked down upon, maybe it'd be the one day a year that every ride would be a walk-on......lol.

Seriously, even though it's not an officially sanctioned event, I just don't see the validity of having it.

I think there's just a lot of misinformation out there. The LGBT community is just as big a part of "family" as anyone else. They belong to families, they have families, they have friends who are straight and gay, who also have families. There is nothing at all that doesn't fit in with Disney family friendliness. I don't think Disney sanctions Gay Days, but I'm sure they're totally fine with it. Anything that brings in a group of people, their families, their friends and families... and their money, is a-ok with Disney!

On the other hand, and without putting words into anyone's mouth, I feel like this is the point the OP was trying to make: it seems like one of the big goals of the Gay community or any minority group, is to be accepted, to fit in, to be tolerated, to not be judged, to not be singled out, etc. But an event like Gay Days is doing the opposite. It's saying "look, we're singling ourselves out here, we want to have a special day just for us". I'm not saying this is *their* reason, but this is how it looks from the outside. I think the main reason for having Gay Days is to celebrate the community. But I don't see why they can't do that every day of the year. Invite your friends, gay or straight. Invite them every day of the year. Celebrate community every day of the year.

One other thing I might note: no matter what peoples' opinions on the subject, having Gay Days might turn a lot of guests away, not because they are bigots, but because they might actually think these are days *just* for gays.

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    Furthermore, I go to Disneyland to escape reality. I don't want to see political or social issues flung in my face when I'm at the parks.
    Now this part I do agree with. I guess it depends on how overt a political message is being conveyed. Example: Can you imagine being a Cuban-American whose family escaped Castro and walking through the parks seeing someone wearing what they think is a cool Che Guevara shirt?
    I've seen other political shirts (sometimes with surprisingly gruesome images) that people go to the park wearing (and surprisingly are allowed in) ...

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by Quacky4Donald View Post
    As a gay man, I find Gay Days to be insulting and hypocritical. Supposedly we (gays) want to be treated as equals, yet "the community" continues to do things which do not serve that purpose. If Gay Days were truly about just loving EVERYBODY and not just a select group, then the event wouldn't be called GAY Days. It would be called Love & Harmony Days. I'm not going to get overly political here, as that is best suited for elsewhere on MiceChat, but if the gay populous on Earth want to be treated as equals, they need to start acting like equals. Certain things had their time and place in the past, but as times change, so should the mindset and actions of those demanding equality, be they gay, straight, black, white, short, tall, thin, fat, Catholic, Jewish, American, Iranian, etc.
    Yes because trying to act as equals has worked out so well for basically every minority in US history.

Page 1 of 25 123411 ... LastLast