Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: How do you survive I-5 ?

Quote Originally Posted by amyuilani View Post
    I like audiobooks or podcasts, but I will zone out on them after a while.
    Similar thing just happened to me...

We put in a 'Chronicles of Narnia' Audio CD, for the kids to listen to, while we were driving through the Grapevine (on the way home).

I totally zoned-out, while listening to the story, and as we exited the mountains, I somehow ended-up on the 99, instead of the I5. Drove all the way to Bakersfield, before I realized I wasn't on the I5!

Quote Originally Posted by DebG View Post
    For many of us a trip to Disneyland means that long dull drive down Interstate 5. I swear I've done it a hundred times,some trips were great,others not so much. So I thought I'd put it out there. How do you get through the drive with your sanity intact. Are there places you like to stop? (Santa Nella for us) More importantly are there places you NEVER-EVER stop? Any funny stories would be great too.
    P.S. This is the first thread I've ever started, so if I've made any mistakes let me know.
    Thanks!!
    We live in Northern CA and we do this drive about 2-5 times a year.

We used to always stop at Hwy 41 to eat at In n' Out, but that is usually so busy we don't anymore. Hwy 198 has become a better play to stop now. We always stop and get gas before going over the Grapevine at Laval Road and that is now the BEST place to stop along I-5; there is a Starbucks, Subway, Chiptole, In n' Out, McDonalds and I can feed my entire family even if they all want something different.

Word of advice -- never take I-5 on a busy travel day. For example, last year on the Sunday after Thanksgiving I-5 north was a parking lot from the 99 split all the way to the 580 split. I was lucky enough that I was looking at my traffic app on my phone at the Laval Road stop and saw red the entire length of I-5; so we took the 99 and we had no traffic issues at all.

If we are doing the drive at night/dark we now take the 99. Driving the 5 at night in the pitch black can be rough and very, very boring. When I drive the 99 at night at least I have some city lights to see and can count off the towns that we pass through. As long as the construction on 99 is not that bad then it is our preferred way to go now. 15 years ago I would never have taken the 99, but there are a number of places that have 3 lanes and that makes all the difference when there are trucks on the road.

My pet peeve about driving on the I-5 is traffic when people are trying to pass trucks -- I can't stand how people race up the right lane and cut over into the left to pass the truck and then brakes are slammed on in the left lane so we don't all hit each other --- it totally stresses me out and ticks me off too.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDee View Post
    We also skirted around Sacramento, and stopped at the Yolo Fruit Stand, and got a pile of nuts and fresh fruit. It was worth the extra 30 minutes off the I-5, as they had the best fruit I've ever seen! (and cheap local nuts).
    That place is great, its only 15 miles from I-5, west on I-80 great prices, very good stuff sold there. A friend of mine works there....
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

If you're coming down from northern California, my recommendation is to take the 405 when you get out of the valley and then cut east on 105. It's a little longer in miles but you'll miss most of the super snarly downtown traffic. This is how we always went to Disneyland when we lived in West LA.

I find the best way for me to survive I-5 is looking down on it from 12,000 ft. and waving at it as I go by at 350 mph.

Live next to it and use it for a 10 min trip to get to Disneyland

• -

Quote Originally Posted by DebG View Post
    How do you get through the drive with your sanity intact.
    I keep a bottle of scotch in my cupholder.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Somewhere along the valley part of the 5 there's a ranch that also has a huge restaurant. I can't remember the name of it, but they specialized in prime rib. That's a pretty sweet place to stop because you can get a hearty meal in with nice, relaxing ambiance. The whole place has a country/southwest motif so it's cool to walk around and just kinda hang out. I'm pretty sure they also have hotel rooms but we just ate there. Other than that driving up the 5 for a long trip is a total nightmare and I never want to do it again.

• I'm really at the Met.

How do I survive it?

Carpool lane.

Funny to see Buttonwillow mentioned so many times. We already have reservations to stay over night there on our way to Disneyland this year. It's a nice place to stay the night and wake up refreshed to make that last little stretch before spending the day at Disneyland.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda949 View Post
    Somewhere along the valley part of the 5 there's a ranch that also has a huge restaurant. I can't remember the name of it, but they specialized in prime rib. That's a pretty sweet place to stop because you can get a hearty meal in with nice, relaxing ambiance. The whole place has a country/southwest motif so it's cool to walk around and just kinda hang out. I'm pretty sure they also have hotel rooms but we just ate there. Other than that driving up the 5 for a long trip is a total nightmare and I never want to do it again.
    Harris Ranch. We stop there all the time for fuel and the best steaks around.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    Harris Ranch. We stop there all the time for fuel and the best steaks around.
    Just keep the windows rolled up and shut off the vents to the outside as you approach.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I saw the subject, "How do you survive the I-5" and I thought of the traffic between 10/5 split and Buena Park where the fwy expansion opens up.

Oh man, that can seriously impact my plans to drop in with my AP.

But then I read the responses and realized that even when I get a truly miserable 2hr + drive from Northridge to Anaheim, there are much worse drives to Disneyland out there.

I will try to think of this thread and say a prayer for you guys the next time I'm frustrated with the volume of traffic. And put my typical 1.5hr torment into perspective.

Will G

• formerly very helpful

Lots of Disney music, and do your best to avoid rush hour, even if it means leaving at 0-Dark-thirty in the morning.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Just keep the windows rolled up and shut off the vents to the outside as you approach.
    No, you can smell how fresh your steak is going to be. The true meaning
    of Farm to Table.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast