Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Monsanto House of the Future,Info Please!

Who is Monsanto? I never knew that the House of the Future was Monsanto, I just thought that the microscope ride was. (I cannot think of the name of it.) I loved going throught the microscope and looking at that huge eye. I also really believed that we were shrinking. I think it must have been the last time I rode it before they took it out that I actually figured out what happened. Wish that I didn't, it would be great to still wonder how they did it .

Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92
    Who is Monsanto? I never knew that the House of the Future was Monsanto, I just thought that the microscope ride was. (I cannot think of the name of it.) I loved going throught the microscope and looking at that huge eye. I also really believed that we were shrinking. I think it must have been the last time I rode it before they took it out that I actually figured out what happened. Wish that I didn't, it would be great to still wonder how they did it .

"Adventures Thru Inner Space"...

Monsanto was/is a chemical company.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by TTFN92

Dang, Nazz beat me to answering your question. Nevermind!

• Give Peace a Chance

[quote=NWRREngineer]I'd heard the same thing from very reliable sources: tour guides, disney archives, yesterland, E-ticket, etc.

When I first saw the above picture (first one in my previous post) I got suspicious so I did some research to try to track down the source of the original demolition story. The earliest mention of the demolition comes from a Monsanto report from back in 1967, and it includes the story of the wrecking ball and the eventual demolition using hacksaws. They didn't mention the big crane excavator crunching through the roof like the picture shows.

Too bad they couldn't have lifted the whole thing off the foundation in one piece and moved it somewhere else so it could still be around.[/QUOTE]

Could that be what is meant in part by pulled off the main core by (with?)cables? Couldn't they have used the "jaws" at that time to cut into it?

Actually, I have read one story where it was mentioned that a wrecking ball was used, bounced off, and a few weeks later the entire house was lifted off it's foundation and taken to whereabouts unknown.
    That one was supposed to be from an employee at the time it happened, made little sense to me.
    I've been to the Monsanto site but can find nothing there. Going to have to do some more research!

I also spoke with my FIL who was a building inspector for years (including parts of DCA) he states that from a construction viewpoint it would not make sense to use a wrecking ball because it would bounce off and that Monsanto would have known that. But did Monsanto take down the house? Or did Disney just hire a local contractor?

edit: Can't figure out what is going wrong with the quote, it's doing it's own thing! eek!
    Last edited by MickeysGirl; 02-09-2006 at 05:11 PM.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Nazz Nomad
    "Adventures Thru Inner Space"...

Monsanto was/is a chemical company.
    Thanx. I actually found the answer to who Monsanto is when my parents came for dinner tonight, but when I asked them about the name of the ride, they didn't know either. They had always just called it the Monsanto. Too bad they can't come up with something like that but just updated for TL. They need to get those Imagineers imagining. How could the old ones come up with all these new ideas and everyone loved it, and now with all this technology, they can't come up with anything creative? It just doesn't make sense to me .

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

MOTF is one place I would have loved to have seen. I never had the chance because we didn't go to DL until 1969. I would love to see a floor plan and interior shots. I wonder if any one could replicate it today. I would think it would a good posibility for hurricane prone areas if the walls were strong enough. The shape would help the wind flow around it and the raised pedestal would help protect it from storm surge.

• Super saucy pixie!

Ahhh yes. Behold the days when Tomorrowland used to be about tomorrow. Now it's more like "Well, we'll think about doing something to fix it tomorrow."

• Drunk On Disney

I wish they would re-build the exterior and make it a restuarant or a store or something. It's a really cool looking building and would really give tomorrowland a tomorrow-feel.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I've never seen any decent pictures of the inside of the House of the Future, always the exterior shot.

• Minion

I remember reading somewhere that another home from the same plans was built in the desert somewhere at the time (this was all prefab) - - I wonder if the twin still exists. Anyone???

• Drunk On Disney

There is a 12 minute documentary all about Monsanto's House of the Future included as a bonus on the DVD "Home Movie" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...133393-1085465
    BTW: Home Movie is a documentary about unusual houses.

The 12 minute HOF doc is also released by the Extinct Attractions Club http://www.extinct-attractions-club.com/, but without the Home Movie feature.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Sambo, you are the greatest! Where in the world did you find those?

• Married and happy again!!

This is one I also would have love to have seen in person but sadly I wasn't born until the 70's. I want to thank everyone who posted pics or links to sites it really helped me to learn more about an older attraction that has always be an interest to me. THANK
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Thanks for the photos! I remember going through the house several times. Since I was a teenager at the time, it wasn't the most exciting attraction in Disneyland... but it was still interesting. Today, it would probably be amusing as a retro thing. One very important function it served, however, was being a view of "Tomorrow" that didn't have anything to do with space travel. That's sorely lacking in Tomorrowland these days. (To its credit... Innoventions tries, but fails.)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by bejeweledcat
    Sambo, you are the greatest! Where in the world did you find those?
    I'm a Disneyland collector/packrat.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast