Question Copyright for Custom Personal Items

I am quite interested in making some clothing/misc. items for myself. What I am unsure about is how Disney will react to the items I make. I will admit that Legends of Frontierland has me hooked , and I was considering a T-Shirt for myself that has Rainbow Ridge badge in the front, with LOF in the back and another one on the sleeve. Should I make something like that for myself or will I get into trouble for using likeness and such?

Re: Copyright for Custom Personal Items

You can't copyright a word or name. One could have such things trademarked. Images, depends on what it is.

If you are not trying to sell Rainbow Ridge merch, or in some way market yourself as a purveyor or Rainbod Ridge (or LOF) stuff, then they should have no issue with you. If you set up an Etsy shop (or otherwise) to sell such a shirt, you might get shut down.

I was pretty jealous that some Legends had custom items and I was curious about designing my own. I had turned my bandana into a long flag (had to shorten it by security's request), and then into a handheld flag.

• Closed Account

You should be just fine! I've seen several other people create their own unique Disney shirts. As long as you aren't trying to sell them, I say go right ahead!

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

if you did this you would be in violation of copy-rite laws. It does not matter if you do it for profit or not. The real question should be will I get caught if I do this. thy answer should be, Probably not, but you still would be breaking the law.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Bear Trap, other people have already made RR shirts, I don't see why you couldn't. And I want one of your shirts!

Rootin Tootin

• Master Gracey's Music Man

I've been making custom disney shirts for a few years now and have never had a problem. Granted I never sold any of them either.
    You should be fine as long as you dont generate a profit from it.
    Des douze coups de minuit aux matines sonnantes,
    Nous valserons ensemble, macabre débutante.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54 View Post
    if you did this you would be in violation of copy-rite laws. It does not matter if you do it for profit or not. The real question should be will I get caught if I do this. thy answer should be, Probably not, but you still would be breaking the law.
    Not true. There are protected uses under DMCA. Fair use allows for derivative works for one thing.

If you are making a tshirt for yourself and no one else, for your own personal enjoyment, then you will be fine. Try not to use official logos and you'll be fine just using names and such.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

If you make it yourself, don't sell them and the other things previous posters have said, you should be fine. I will point out that many online shops that make custom items (Zazzle, Spreadshirt, etc.) won't print many designs due to fear of Disney coming after them, even if you are just making one for yourself.

I was able to get through a design for shirts for my husband and I that use my own drawing of a stylized PeopleMover.

• Done with MC.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMatt View Post
    I will point out that many online shops that make custom items (Zazzle, Spreadshirt, etc.) won't print many designs due to fear of Disney coming after them, even if you are just making one for yourself.

That's because they would be making a profit by making it and selling it to an individual.

• Tony Baxter Fan Club

I will concur with what others have said above - if you make a shirt or other items for yourself and not to sell openly to others you will be fine.

I have made many unique Disney themed t-shirts with my own artwork for many years now, both by hand and by professional print companies.
    I enjoy making up something special and unique to wear to the Parks and always receive many reactions and compliments from both Cast Members and Guests alike.
    Many ask me where i bought them, or if i sell them...one CM even suggested i send photos to Disney and suggest they market them.

I don't sell my shirts despite the many requests i receive primarily because i know that it is just not 'right' to do so.
    Doing so would go against my artist principles in some respects, but i do appreciate the positive responses people have given me over the years to the shirts that i have made.

It's up to you, but i would not make such things up with the intention to sell openly to other fans.
    Keep it just for you...and get creative...and have fun...and ENJOY, Partners !