Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Possible early January trip to DL and Huntington beach

I start a new job this month that gives me free hotel rooms for 12 nights a year and I was thinking about flying to California either January 2-6, or January 9-13. My friend wanted to visit WDW before she starts her spring semester of college but I don't want to deal with all the construction with the castle hub and DTD and I really would like to experience Haunted Mansion Holiday. She has never been to Disneyland and I have never gotten to go to a Disney park when it was decorated for a holiday, as I have worked in retail for the last 5 years. Will the Haunted Mansion Holiday still be open on the 9th? I'm also considering purchasing a Disney Premier passport so I can take multiple smaller trips to either resort. I would like to go back next fall to experience SM ghost galaxy. Is this pass worth the costs? I have Fridays and Saturdays off so weekend trips will be possible.

What would honestly be the best of the two weekends to go? I know I will probably do Disneyland for 2-3 days and Huntington beach for 1-2 days.
    Avid churro and Dole whip enthusiast

Re: Possible early January trip to DL and Huntington beach

I'd say anytime after the first week in January is ok. Crowds are usually light because the weather is rainy and school is back in session. Keep the weather in mind when it comes to Huntington Beach. The overlay usually comes off around the 8th so going on the 9th is cutting it close, but when the ride opens back up we should find out when it will come down.

• Tiki Dancer

I was there this past January 14-15. Haunted Mansion was still closed to take down the overlay. There were still some decorations throughout the park, notably Small World and New Orleans area. Crowds weren't too bad...busy, but not bad. Temps were in the 80s, but felt like the 90s.

• Hello

Well, the Holiday Season in the parks typically ends on 3 Kings Day. That's January 6th. So, by the ninth, I'd assume most stuff is already coming down. But at least the park crowds will be manageable.

You can either get an empty park or rad decorations, but it's hard to get both.They don't take everything down in one night, so you'll still be able to see some things.

• Perfect Insanity

Honestly if you can do it the first set up dates you have I'd suggest that if you want to get a chance to see that. Once Winter Break is over they soon after take it down over time and close HMH.
    BTW, the weather can vary year to year here. I live in HB and this last winter we had more summer like days than winter ones. While if the El Nino that I keep hearing come up happens we could get lots of rain. Our rainy season though is more Feb though. We still can get it anytime obviously though but you would really have to keep an eye on how winter weather here is.
    Princess Anna

Mom To
    Video Game Player-Noah (6/5/98)
    &
    Baseball Player, 2 times All Stars Basketball Player & All Net Champ -Kaleb (3/8/02)
    &
    Ballerina Princess Skylar (9/21/06)
    A crowded day at Disneyland beats a busy day of housework!!

etsy.com/shop/FantasyFunTutus

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Something to consider about the Southern California beaches in the winter - the water will be very cold and if you feel the need to go into the water I wouldn't do it without a wetsuit. Even in summer the water is surprisingly cold to those from out of the area who assume otherwise, and in the winter the high water temp could be as low as the mid 50s.

The beach itself is nice and tolerable for a few hours if all you want is to see the beach and maybe have a picnic. For this reason I would recommend Newport Beach over Huntington Beach as there is more to do within walking distance or a short drive From their beaches as compared with Huntington. In Newport you'd want to go the Balboa Peninsula and see the beaches near the Newport and Balboa piers, and then check out the Wedge (but don't swim there unless you are an expert). Then head a bit south to Corona del Mar and check out Little Corona State Beach where you can see beautiful rock formations and check out the tide pools. Then after that head to Fashion Island or what I call the "Rodeo Drive of OC" for some shopping and/or dinner. Newport is not much farther from Disneyland than Huntington is time-wise btw.

We've gone the past 2 yrs around Jan 13-15. In 2013 we were FREEZING!! They were having record lows. Then 2014 we were sweating because of the Santa Anas. It was so disappointing. But HM was closed but we did see IASW Holiday.

The last time we went to the beach in Dec was many years ago, and it was Huntington, and it was also freezing. It was so windy and cold, my ears hurt. We were just there to take some pics which was hard to do in the wind and we hurried so we could leave. I haven't wanted to attempt it again. Although this past Jan would have worked but we didn't have our swimsuits. Just be prepared for anything.

According to Touring Plans, crowds will be 8-10/10, depending upon the day, on the 2nd through 6th. A 10/10 is one of the busiest days at the Resort, and a 1/10 is one of the least busy.

Conversely, on the 9-13, you're looking at 2-5/10, depending upon the day.

According to Mouse Planet's weekly updates, HMH closed after the first weekend in January the last two years to remove the overlay.

As the others have said, you're either going to get a crowded park with HMH or a lightly attended park without HMH.

• Mouse Maniac

Don't go to Huntington Beach, it's dirty and full of trashy people. Go to Laguna Beach if you want a true, California beach experience.

I've always enjoyed Newport Beach. Huntington, not so much.

• Perfect Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by SteamboatMickey<3 View Post
    Don't go to Huntington Beach, it's dirty and full of trashy people. Go to Laguna Beach if you want a true, California beach experience.
    Wow!!! Sorry but I live in HB and am offended by this.
    Princess Anna

Mom To
    &
    Baseball Player, 2 times All Stars Basketball Player & All Net Champ -Kaleb (3/8/02)
    &

I'm certain they're talking about the outsiders that frequent the beaches there.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Princess View Post
    Wow!!! Sorry but I live in HB and am offended by this.
    Its ok. Venice Beach is way worse.

• Perfect Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    I'm certain they're talking about the outsiders that frequent the beaches there.
    I'm sure but that is not how that person said it and it wasn't ok considering every city has all kinds of people in it no matter what city is I have found but I would never say that about a place. Its one thing to suggest another one as DisneyIPresume did because there was great reasons why Newport might be better since it does have some more things to do right there but another to say trash and dirty. I could say that about other beaches like that myself but would never do so. Its just rude, you know?
    Princess Anna

Mom To
    &
    &

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast