Lightbulb Photograph Ideas for Pixie Hollow

I haven't been there yet, but as I understand it, Pixie Hollow is presently based on the premise that Guests "shrink down to pixie size" when walking into it, so that they are temporarily the same size as Tink & friends. Hence photos show same-size Ps & Gs.

I've sent suggestions to Disneyland for two other techniques, either of which could either replace or just be an additional option:

(1) In the recent films The Lord of the Rings, full-size actors appeared to be Hobbit-size by the construction of special sets which were built with a carefully distorted depth portion. Thus in Frodo's home Gandalf stood, sat, and walked in the front section, while Frodo was in the back section. To the camera's eye, the two actors appeared to be in the same room, talking directly to one another, with Frodo half the size of Gandalf. A similar device was used to show a "half-sized" Frodo apparently sitting "beside" Gandalf on the seat of a horse-cart.

One or more similarly-fashioned photographic sets in PH would result in full-size Gs standing together with a reduced-sized P. This wouldn't get the Ps down to Peter Pan size, of course, but it would still be dramatic.

(2) Another option would be to have one or more special sets where your personal P poses, while you the G pose in another. The two photos are then merged into a final composite, which is what the G can purchase. In this merger the P is indeed reduced to Peter Pan size, and appears standing in the palm of your hand, or perhaps sitting on your shoulder, or hovering in the air beside your head. It is of course the same P you met live in PH, not a standardized actor or cartoon,smiling righ back at you. The idea is that while PH magically shrinks humans down to P-size for visits, cameras are not so affected, and so photographs show everyone in their normal size.

This kind of composite photography is not all that difficult. At Siegfried & Roy's Enchanted Garden at the Mirage in Vegas, for instance, you can get a photo taken against a blue background. When you pick up the print, you're standing in a lush jungle surrounded by friendly lions and tigers.

Option #2 also offers some fun possibilities. Tink [and her fellow Ps] is famously not all sweetness-and-light. So:

(a) A G stands with an outstretched arm and pinched fingers. When he picks up his photo, he's holding Captain Hook's brass lantern, with an angry Tink [or other P] sitting inside.

(b) If you are a gentleman visiting PH with your "Wendy-Bird", you're standing there beaming at the camera, while your lady has a less-pleasant expression on her face, because a strand of her hair is being tugged by a pouty, jealous Tink flying by her.

... and etc.
    ______
    Rachane

Re: Photograph Ideas for Pixie Hollow

The problem I see (and I may not be totally envisioning what your describing in each scenario), the trouble is the experience for the children visiting.

Yes, we get a clever photo and that will probably last longer than specific memories (that's why photographers run rampant over some weddings with the couple's approval), but a child may have difficulty understanding why they're not actually hugging Tink, like they can now.
    Or why they have to stand in a different spot after hugging Tink and getting an autograph.

Just a thought.

Will G

Smile Re: Photograph Ideas for Pixie Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Will G View Post
    The problem I see, the trouble is the experience for the children visiting.
    Point well-taken. Below a certain [indefinite] age, children meeting any Disney character at the Park are going to consider it "spontaneous", so indeed any kind of fancy photo-setup could be confusing.

The only suggestion I might offer here would be to have the "trick" photography as an option, mostly for teens & adults, leaving little kids with the present straightforward encounter. Then again, even introducing a trick-photo option could dispel the Pixie Hollow "magic" atmosphere. I think we're heading in the direction of "If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it!"
    ______
    Rachane

• Minion

If you've sent your ideas to Disney their is literally 0% of it happening.

I'm not too sure how well your ideas will work in a meet and greet environment but they are some good and different ideas.

If they did this, why not just use animated pixies?

Smile Re: Photograph Ideas for Pixie Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by Torreyrad View Post
    If they did this, why not just use animated pixies?
    Part of the idea was that the "trick" photo would include the pixie you personally meet. The photo would just reduce him/her to pixie-size, sitting on your shoulder or etc.

But, as previously above, I'm not sure that such a photographic setup wouldn't compromise the "magic of the meeting" for little kids, turning it more into an adult-staged procedure. I gather that Pixie Hollow, and indeed the M&G operation as a whole, is intended as a "little kids fantasy encounter".

It occurs to me that Disneyland might be missing a bet by not having a separate attraction where you get your photo taken and then merged into a Disney movie scene of choice, enabling you to take hom a photo of you dining on the Nautilus with Captain Nemo [or helping to fight the giant squid], dancing with Mary Poppins, or marching along as one of the 7 Dwarfs. Girls and ladies might like to see themselves as Ariel, or perhaps Jessica Rabbit? Or, for that matter, get yourself miniaturized into a pixie for a photo showing you sitting on your kid's shoulder.
    ______
    Rachane

• Vidia's Minion

They have 'magic shots' they can do outside of PH for the illusion.

Name:  41181990208.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  162.0 KB

Or you could just photoshop it yourself. As seen on flickr:
    Name:  4091638219_7dc4c4bf61_m.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  59.8 KB

Last week while walking by Pixie Hollow, I noticed it was empty. Shortly, Tinkerbell and Rosetta opened the "Teacup" door and I took a series of photos. After looking at the results I thought one image of Tinkerbell looked like she could be flying. I then edited the photos to shrink Tinkerbell.

Disney could build a set to make the Tinkerbell you meet shrink in a Photopass Photo.

Last edited by Disneyland 1951; 09-09-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Talking Re: Photograph Ideas for Pixie Hollow

These last two posts above gave me a laugh, because I'd forgotten how omnipotent today's youngsters are on their smartphones & computers: Photoshop, etc. Back in the '50s when I was a kid, you got a wooden paddle with a rubber ball attached to the center of it by a big rubber band, and you could hit it back and forth. Today kids the same age control just about everything with keyboards and mice!
    ______
    Rachane