Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Disney Fanatic

New Simba Parking Structure

Jim Hill is reporting that a parking structure on the Simba parking lot is rumored to be happening soon.

This contradicts what everyone else has been saying with Pumba the next in line to become a parking structure.

Where Disneyland almost was (and what's now in the works for the Happiest Place on Earth)

And given that I had been spending so much time on this trip visiting the places where the Happiest Place on Earth was almost built, I felt it was time that I actually looked at the Disneyland Resort itself. Which is why I found myself walking the perimeter of this piece of property yesterday afternoon.

I know that a lot of people weren't all that happy with the original version of Disney's California Adventure theme park. But you have to admit that the reimagining / reconfiguring all of the land around the Disneyland Resort as this lush garden district worked out beautifully. That -- for the most part -- all of those ugly electric power towers that used to march straight across Disneyland's old parking lot are now largely hidden in plain sight by some artful use of greenery.

And speaking of parking lots I have been hearing increasing rumbling from within Disney Parks & Resorts that the Simba parking lot (You know. The one that backs up against Katella & Walnut?) may soon be closing so that construction can then begin on this massive multi-story parking structure. That -- it is hoped -- will then help the Resort address its increasingly serious we-don't-have-enough-room-for-our-Day-Guests-and-their-cars-on-our-busy-busy-days problem.

Mind you, the upside of this pending parking structure construction (which -- admittedly -- will seriously disrupt things around the Resort for 18 months to two years) is that it will then allow The Walt Disney Company to seriously increase capacity at Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park, allowing them to add lots of new rides, shows and attractions. Not to mention finally getting serious about possibly turning the nearby Toy Story parking lot into a third theme park for the Disneyland Resort.

But hey, you didn't hear that from me
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
    -Aristotle

Next Trip in 2012 to see the final product

Re: New Simba Parking Structure

The Pumbaa lot structure will be used to replace the Toy Story lot when they get around to work on a 3rd park (way way down the line, imo).

The Simba lot structure sounds like a way to spread parking out, alleviate some of the overcrowding and allow for future increase of guests for new attractions at DL/DCA.

I wonder if they will name each level after lion king or go off some more mickey and friends characters. ..id love to be on the clarabelle level

• Queen Elsa

How about the Snow White Parking lot. First lot like Chip & Dale would be Snow White. 2nd level be Doc,3rd leavel Bashful,4th Grumpy,5TH Happy,6 Dopey. As for Sneezy & Sleepy they could be the Pinchhio verison of that parking lot.

Oh I like that idea

A parking structure at Simba would be great! They would not only increase the parking capacity, but would enable DLR to try and start to phase out the Toy Story Lot, which could then be a third gate. The Pinocchio lot should also get a structure.

• Queen Elsa

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer45 View Post
    A parking structure at Simba would be great! They would not only increase the parking capacity, but would enable DLR to try and start to phase out the Toy Story Lot, which could then be a third gate. The Pinocchio lot should also get a structure.
    No the Pinocchio will have to stay as is for all the buses and big trucks that's why Pinocchio is like it is.

I wonder what the state of the other rumored parking structure is in.

• Hello

Well it is about time. I wonder if this new structure will come with its own tram service, or will it just force the guests to walk through Downtown Disney? Exciting times, if indeed true.

I'd prefer to walk through Downtown Disney, but wonder how much the traffic would increase?

• Future Imagineer

How about using a People Mover type system to transport guest to DTD (possibly near the House of Blues)

If you park in Simba now, it's a walk thru DTD, no tram, unless you stop at the Monorail stop. I'm not sure if they added a structure where the lot is now that'd change. I mean, I get it'd be a larger volume of people, but I'm having a tricky time imaging what space they'd grab to put in a tram route a la M&F. It's way too close for shuttle buses like TS.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Ear View Post
    How about using a People Mover type system to transport guest to DTD (possibly near the House of Blues)
    People movers are all fun and games until one little thing goes wrong and the whole system is down. Trams don't have that problem.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Minion

When my family parked in Simba, we walked through the Grand Californian and entered DCA through the side entrance.

I have to say that that is my least favorite lot. I used to get off on Ball from the 57S to go into M&F. About one out of every ten trips it'd be closed off and we would be redirected to this lot. It's not so bad to walk in from there, as it seems to be the only official Disney lot without a shuttle. But when you have to go the bathroom, it's not fun. And after a long day, it's not fun to walk all the way back there.

However, this entrance makes sense from Disney's perspective, as it forces all the people who would normally be bused in on the east side of the esplanade to walk through Disney's retail district. Even now, when I park there, unless it is before opening, it's almost never worth it to take the Monorail, as the line is crazy. So you are going to have a lot of people forced to walk past more retail to and from their cars.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast