Ghost Galaxy "Scary"?

Hi

My son is now big enough to ride Space Mountain, and we happen to be visiting Halloween week. He's a tough kid, but I'm curious about how far Ghost Galaxy goes on the scariness scale

thanks!

• MaliBOOMer

Re: Ghost Galaxy "Scary"?

Quote Originally Posted by CanaDuh View Post
    Hi

My son is now big enough to ride Space Mountain, and we happen to be visiting Halloween week. He's a tough kid, but I'm curious about how far Ghost Galaxy goes on the scariness scale

thanks!
    It's not as scary as a haunted house. I suggest watching a YouTube video. I see a lot of kids do it fine. Others not so much. It's only video projections so it's not terribly scary.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

Thanks! I guess I'm just wondering what the images project. If it's bloody corpses, we might stay away. If it's less scary stuff that goes "boo", not so bad.

Close enough to the DLR to keep me satisfied.

Thanks! I guess I'm just wondering what the images project. If it's bloody corpses, we might stay away. If it's less scary stuff that goes "boo", not so bad.
    There's nothing violent about it. It kind of looks like fire in the shape of a demony thing. Really just Google Image it and you'll get an idea of what it's like. Also keep it mind it's primarily projected on the walls and thus flat in the actual ride.

To be completely honest, if it is a problem, you can just close your eyes, since it's not like you can see the track or anything else in the ride anyway.
    And heed this warning: The spirits will materialize only if you remain quietly seated at all times and stop taking flash pictures, you moron.

• I'm a fiddle player......

My daughter is 4 and did it for the first time last weekend and she was fine. But all kids are different. The music can be intense and the fire demon image follows you around. Like someone else said show him the image first and gauge his reaction from there.

I was wondering the same thing for my son, who is six. I pulled up a youtube clip and honestly.. it's not bad at all.

• Grim Grinning

There are a few youtube videos of it if you want to check it out. It's not super scary since it's all just projected on the walls.

The only thing that could possibly make it "scary" is the music or loud sounds, but you can see that on any YT video beforehand. The projections are fairly harmless.
    Need help planning your Disneyland Resort vacation? Follow this link and I'll give you all the help you need!

• DMTNT

The scariest part is at the very end of the ride and it's not really scary. Just unexpected. It's really just loud noises combined the "alien" projections.

It's not very scary, and is barely scarier than normal Space Mountain.

OP did not mention the age of the boy but if he is less than 7 or 8, I would not recommend. Certainly don't force him or pressure him. Let him decide for himself.

I think it totally depends on the child. Though my son is six, I'd have no problem with him going on it. His favorite part of Matterhorn is the "snow man". Last year, when he had just turned six, he rode CA Screamin, repeatedly and TOT without any issues. Some kids are daredevils for things like this and some are not.. there's a lot of variables and you, of course, know your child the best.

Explain it to him in this manner: the "ghost" galaxy is so far away that you can plainly see the entirety of the galaxy, which means that, even if it were real, which it's not, it would be so incredibly far away from your little "ship" that it would pose absolutely zero threat to him, at all.

Ghost Galaxy is a pretty stupid idea, honestly, when you take that into account. Something that far away has no chance, at all, at being able to see one little ship flying around at that distance, let alone consider it a threat enough to attack wildly, despite the attacks still falling short by immeasurable light years of distance, since you can fully see the attacks from a GALAXY.

So, yeah, it's fake, and once you get that into his head, there is nothing for him to fear. If I were to venture an opinion, I'd have to state that the only thing that isn't stupid about the Ghost Galaxy overlay is the light and sound effects outside the attraction. Everything inside the attraction is incredibly stupid, once you realize how far away the ghost galaxy would have to be in order to see the thing in full.

Reading over this points at the argument being incredibly one-sided. It is. Educating a child about what is going on, and the reality of the situation might diminish the magic slightly, but if you're worried about him being afraid of the attraction overlay, diminishing the magic could go a long way towards having him enjoy the ride.
    Last edited by The Real McDuck; 09-17-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: One sided explanation needs explanation

Hi

thanks!
    You didn't even say how old he is.... only you can make a real estimation... I can say that my 8 year old daughter was scared the first time she road it, in part because of the sound effects along with the projected images... That said she wanted to ride it again after we got off. So it really is hard to say how he might react... I can say of all the ride the 8 year old will not ride tower of terror again or the California Scream'n... All other ride including the Space Mountain overlay are not a problem... So that's the view of a 8 year old girl...

It looks like a spaghetti monster