Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Clearing my Calendar

Pleasurable Experience at the Park(s)?

Okay, I'm inspired. There's been (it seems) several threads recently pertaining to negative things happening at the parks. So I thought I would bring up an experience that has stayed with me since it happened last Feb.

My husband and I were in the stand-by line for Soarin'. It wasn't a long wait, we walked into the main hangar right away. I was looking at all the pictures and everything. When we passed the picture of the Columbia crew (I'm pretty sure it was Columbia) a little boy starts tapping on my husband's arm .

My husband turns which prompts my attention to look at the little one. He was quite adorable! He was probably 6 or so and had cute little round glasses and a nice head of longer hair.

Anyway, he starts talking about how some of the members of the crew had come to his school and how he loved that day when he got to see them. He said he remembered the day was a Friday because they served spaghetti (I think) at lunch, which he followed with an exuberant "Yuck! I hate spaghetti!"

He was really charming. His mom said she was sorry that he disturbed us but we told her we were interested in his stories. He went on to entertain us for the duration of the wait, all the way into the ride itself.

We talked about him for months after getting home. Just how nice it was to meet him.

I often wonder if he isn't someone's little devil off the boards? Hmm? What a thought!

Anyone else have such experiences?
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Re: Pleasurable Experience at the Park(s)?

Hmm I find it sad that this thread isn't 50 pages long like the negative Dland experiences thread.

I have one. I'm waiting for the Parade of Dreams and I'm sitting on the ground. A nice young couple come and stand next to me. It gets more crowded. The girl in this couple scoots in front of her BF to make more room for me and my stroller because both were getting pushed aside quickly. Then the boy in this couple complimented my son. They were really nice.

It was heart-warming to see young people act with class and poise.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

AHA! I have another one!

It was right after the Drawn the Magic Animation show and the characters came down to sign books and pictures. I waited in the line for Peter Pan that awkwardly formed. I didn't push or shove my way through like some were doing. My son also waited patiently for Peter too.

Well, Peter took notice of my son and I waiting while others were just butting in. Then Peter said "Ok now that little boy is next.." Pointing to my son. And we got the best picture of Peter with his arm around my son

I see that Peter Pan regulary each time I see this Animation Show. And I think of that incident every time I see him.

• Needs the smell of summer

Some of the funnest times I have at Disneyland is finding other people to talk to in line. It makes the line seem like no wait at all, and you make a lot of new friends, even if it is for less than an hour. I have tons of great experiences at Disneyland, and I am sure everyone else does. I go to Disneyland and expect to have the time of my life. I guess thats why the bad experiences stick out more sometimes. Everything is supposed to be perfect, and the one thing is not.......I dunno, maybe thats just me

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

I had a really nice time in line for Splash once. There was this really nice Australian women who struck up a conversation and it carried us all the way to the loading area. We talked about differences between Australian and Canadian culture, and differences between the way our governments are structured (fascinating, I know). I wanted to get her e-mail, but she walked into the other line at the seperation point and I didn't have time .

• Where's Push?

Quote Originally Posted by TraceCub
    Okay, I'm inspired. There's been (it seems) several threads recently pertaining to negative things happening at the parks. So I thought I would bring up an experience that has stayed with me since it happened last Feb.

My husband and I were in the stand-by line for Soarin'. It wasn't a long wait, we walked into the main hangar right away. I was looking at all the pictures and everything. When we passed the picture of the Columbia crew (I'm pretty sure it was Columbia) a little boy starts tapping on my husband's arm .

My husband turns which prompts my attention to look at the little one. He was quite adorable! He was probably 6 or so and had cute little round glasses and a nice head of longer hair.

Anyway, he starts talking about how some of the members of the crew had come to his school and how he loved that day when he got to see them. He said he remembered the day was a Friday because they served spaghetti (I think) at lunch, which he followed with an exuberant "Yuck! I hate spaghetti!"

He was really charming. His mom said she was sorry that he disturbed us but we told her we were interested in his stories. He went on to entertain us for the duration of the wait, all the way into the ride itself.

We talked about him for months after getting home. Just how nice it was to meet him.

I often wonder if he isn't someone's little devil off the boards? Hmm? What a thought!

Anyone else have such experiences?
    This is not my little guy but my nephew always goes up to random people at Disneyland and just starts talking there heads off. I feel bad sometimes.. But its good for him.
    Take Care,

Brenda

• e komo mai

I read somewhere that if you have an unpleasant experience at a customer service oriented place that you are likely to tell 15 people about it. And if you had a pleasant experience somewhere you only tell about 5 people or so. I guess bad experiences stay with you and the good ones fade quick?

I had lots and lots of great moments at Disneyland. Countless. It's the bad ones that stick out ruining my groove.

Let's see...
    I always have a great time watching the face characters at Disneyland. They are always on the money. They add such great elements to the atmosphere.

ie. A friend of mine got singled out by the Evil Queen when we watched her from a crowd. He loudly said something like, 'Oh, she's pretty but not as pretty as some.' And she turned to him and said something like, 'Who is this person who is prettier than I?' And he said something like, 'Oh, she's prettier and nicer, too. We hear you're kinda mean.' And she said, 'Who has been spreading vicious rumors about me?' Then he said, 'Oh, well. Gotta run.' And she said to the crowd, 'He should try one of my apples...'

Nice.

• Clearing my Calendar

It's nice feeling all bubbly isn't it?

I'm reminded of a time when I was in high school. Around Spring Break, I had informed my lunch buddies that my family was going to Disney World for the break. One of my buddies proclaimed her mother and she were going as well! We made plans to meet up, blah blah.

So we met up the first day of my trip (the last of hers). My family took my sister to Fantasyland and I went with my friend and her mom to Splash Mountain. Once there, the standby was around 2 hours (it's the end of the day!). So we grab fast passes but then my friend chickens out when it comes time to ride.

So her mom and I go through the fast pass line, talking about how it's a shame she won't go on and now we have an extra fast pass. A CM over hears and gives us two more fastpasses. He says, "Ride it now. Then, go grab your friend and make her go on! She can't miss this ride!"

It was so awesome! We were laughing when we finally met up with her again and told her a really cute guy (he was!) demanded to see her but she had to go through the line and ride because he was at the loading area.

It worked and she got to ride with us. It was so fun because the sun was setting and it was.. magical. She was so glad the CM stuck up for her ride rights!
    and the stars come out,

• Rally Time!

i'm glad you started this thread. i've read about the negative stuff at the park lately (mostly on another board) and just . i think its just most people have very high expectations at the Happiest Place on Earth, and if even one negative thing happens, it dominates and ruins their whole experience.

we live in Arizona but make a lot of multiple day trips there. I always have big plans to do and see everything - each trip i take my two girls and to the 3 of us, DLR is so much fun!!! But with two little kids slowly tiring by running around the park from open-to-close for 3 days, and interacting with lots of people, there are set backs each day - we're all human, machines do break down, and sometimes schedules don't fit. yeah, but it beats the real world!

just count the joy and happy parts each day you are there, which far outweigh the bad luck. it is a very pleasurable experince to visit DLR on the whole. just be prepared for some minor setbacks, and that helps a lot with your frame of mind.
    a friend of Walt.

• Clearing my Calendar

Now I wanna go back.
    and the stars come out,

• Life is Great!

a few weeks ago we had a sitter for the baby and took Max all by himself and when we got to the partners statue hubby took a few pics and we then noticed Jessie had arrived to the hub(Max stopped saying "cheese" and started saying "Woody" - he's two and doesnt know all their names yet, at least he had the right movie, hehehee) so we took Max over and got in line(there was only 2 people waiting) when Max was next in line a group walked up and tried to cut and Jessie motioned for that it was Max's turn and made them wait. hubby took a pic of me and max and jessie and we said to say goodbye and he said "bye jessie" ever since he now knows her name!

• Down Pluto!

I like the stories of interacting with other guests, and I especially like the positive interactions with CM's. There are so many CM's that have taken that moment extra to make my experience magical, that there should be a whole thread for them. This story is of the former category...

Last October my kids and I (19 & 23) decided that since we were tired we'd hop on a train and take a relaxing ride around the park. At the next stop a couple with a girl of about 2 get in and sit next to us - my daughter was closest to them. Their little girl standing next to her on the seat turns and looks at my daughter (who had her bangs dyed in a rainbow pattern) and smiled, leaned over and stroked her multi-colored patch of hair. My daughter leaned toward her, and she bumped heads. The little girl slides down and curls up on my daughters lap, places her thumb in her mouth and falls right asleep!

The parents who were a bit surprised started to take her off, but my daughter said no, it was alright. A conversation ensued, and two cycles around the park later, they got off at Main Street, and took their now "out cold" daughter off and into a stroller to continue the nap.

Sometimes it's the commonality of the human experience that form the lasting memories. Where else but in Disneyland?

• Let's get dangerous!

Great idea for a thread! Even if people are more vocal about negative experiences, I'm sure there's been many more positive ones. I've got a few assorted memories, some old, and some more recent.

- The Monorail Cafe! I always loved eating there, and it was nice to have the Monorail right next to it. I was heartbroken when they took it out.
    - There was one guy in particular that played Darkwing during the 1996-1997 season (so I was 7-8), and since I'm completely obsessed with him, I was really happy to see him walking around Tomorrowland. I got an autograph and picture with him, and the next time we came to Disneyland (whenever it was that huge character parade), that same guy was there as DWD in the parade! He went over to me, and he started dancing with me before going back into the parade. One of my very favorite Disneyland memories.
    - Going to the 50th celebration in November. The decorations are so cool, and I was really itching to ride the new Space Mountain. Thankfully, I wasn't disappointed! The Reindeer Round-Up at Big Thunder Ranch was also something that I'll definitely do again, even if I'm over the general age of kids that participate in it.

We had just watched the 2nd Fantasmic (This was on our last day at the park) and wanted to ride Indy before heading back to the hotel. There were 4 of us and we had 2 fastpasses. Needless to say, fastpasses were long sold out, the standby line was long and it was after 11:00 PM!

So we were trying to figure out who would get to go when out of the crowd a gentleman appears and gives us 2 fastpasses!!

Wishes do come true!

That same trip, also late, I had a fistfull od Splash Mtn fastpasses (collected from the extended family that had chosen to go back to the hotel). Same story, long standby line and fast passes long sold out. I had a great time giving them away!

• It's a dead man's party!

A few months ago I went with a bunch of family to DL. We had a group of kids who wanted to go on big rides and we had a few little ones who wanted to go on smaller rides (I'm sure a lot of you know how that goes). So, of course, our group split apart.

Later we had found out that my five-year old cousin threw a fit and started crying bloody murder because she didn't want to go on Snow White because it was scary. While she was crying, Pinnocchio was walking by. He saw her and immediately went over to her and wiped her tears.

I wish I would have been there to see it!
    Ghost Mickey Popcorn Bucket Mission? 10/14/10 SUCCESS! FINALLY!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast