Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

On the News-CM Costumes in Larger Sizes

I just heard this story on the news, literally, two seconds ago, about how the Disney company has had to increase their women's costume ranges-a size 2 to a 30, and men's trousers going up to a 58. Apparently Disney made comments about having to up the sizes because of America's decreasing health habits. The news program was showing Disneyland footage from...oh...I'd say the 60's. I just thought it was odd that they would present a story like this. Any thoughts?

• I'm your huckleberry.

Re: On the News-CM Costumes in Larger Sizes

Overweight people are among the last group that society still thinks its okay to bash.

$50 says we have someone saying something ugly about it by tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• That's Hawt

I think it's a good move on Disney's part! I mean, I don't think that it should have been shown on the news because someone's waist size isn't news-worthy but it is a smart thing for DisCo to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

oh i agree! i'm glad they're making clothes that will fit the masses. however, why did they need to put it on the news? did Disney pay for the spot just so they'd get some prime-time attention that wasn't 50th related?

I was a model for Disney a few years ago (photo shoots for print advertising; fit-modeling for costume development; fashion shows; etc.), and there is something to be said for expecting the cast that appears on stage to maintain body sizes that fit within the range Disney uses to design its costumes.

The wardrobe department develops costumes for the operational cast by creating two prototypes of each style.

The first prototype is designed for the very middle of the size range. And, the second is designed for the middle of the upper third of the size range.

Obviously, a costume has to look good on a variety of body types, so the two prototypes give the designers and management a sense of the way in which the Disneyland show will be visualized once the costumes actually come into use on stage.

The greater range of sizes there is, though, increases the difficulty the designer has to make each costume look decent.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 02-09-2006 at 11:45 PM.

• Animatronic

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine
    Disney made comments about having to up the sizes because of America's decreasing health habits... Any thoughts?
    I could take the bait and point out that Disney shouldn't complain about some extra pounds when they sell junk food nearly everywhere in the park but the soon to be retired Bengal BBQ, but I won't go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    I could take the bait and point out that Disney shouldn't complain about some extra pounds when they sell junk food nearly everywhere in the park but the soon to be retired Bengal BBQ, but I won't go there.
    You're absolutely right.

Disney needs to also change the menus at the commissaries for the cast and crew.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

-Monorail Man

It's about time that Disney also make some sort of workplace-convenient gym available to Disneyland personnel.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    makes sense...since i saw it on ktla which is on the wb which is time warner aol....jeez.

• My life is better with DL

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    True. How can they be expected to stay fit with Pizza port and Dole whips everywhere?

...But honestly...Why was this news worthy? I guess we should be grateful that's the biggest thing happening in out country right now.

^This is the life!

• Super saucy pixie!

Frankly, I'm built quite thin and I don't put weight on easily, but during my time at Disneyland, I had some extra weight on me I couldn't get off. The food in the CM areas is really unhealthy. Sometimes all you have time for is some vending machine food, and besides the small pack of... shall I call it crudite?... there was nothing healthy at all.
    After I moved on from Disney, the weight came off instantly. They absolutely do need to offer healthier foods there if they'd like to try to get the "Disney Look" of old back in the park. Matter of fact, I might even go out on a limb here and say the food the guests get seems to be healthier than what the CMs get. I couldn't count how many times the other CMs in line in front of me smothered just about everything with cheese.

• Banned User

Disneyland seriously needs a huge overhaul on its food programs. They need more restaurants with high quality foods and healthy menus as well. All these stupid fat foods they keep selling around the park is rediculous. Dole Whips actually are not very fatning at all.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I don't expect to get the warmest response from this, but I wonder if increasing waist sizes could equal slowed reaction times in times of emergency such as fire evactuation, e-stopping an attraction, or any other urgent situations that require quick manuevering. Could America's obesity be not only harming those who are obese but put others around them at risk for harm/danger in places like theme parks?

I don't mean this in a cruel or derrogatory way. Hell, I'm not the healthiest person and am a little overweight, and my brother is getting to be on the obese side. Its just an honest question/concern...

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    ....but I wonder if increasing waist sizes could equal slowed reaction times in times of emergency such as fire evactuation, e-stopping an attraction, or any other urgent situations that require quick manuevering
    Well, I can at least offer my experience with that. I'm the head emergency and evac coordinator for the 150+ people in my office. I'm quicker than the majority of the people, and I can get up and down those stairs with no problem, faster than most of 'em too. I have two entire floors to evacuate and inspect. And, if you've seen me, you'll know I could be the album cover model for an all-new "larger" mix of "Baby Got Back". I've also been able to out-hike a friend of mine who is fairly thin. A person's fitness level is not always determined by their size.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast