Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Married and happy again!!

Re: Do you want Oswald at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by America Stings
    Yes. But do it right.
    I'd have to agree with is to. I believe Oswald has his place (not only at Disneyland but all the parks). People do need to be reinterduced so to speek to Oswald. I hope they will deal with it in the correct manner.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    I still believe that letting the obscure J. Audubon Woodlore and Humphrey the Bear serve as unofficial ambassadors for the new park makes the most sense, though.
    From before day 1 at DCA, I was hoping that Humphrey would be a regular around Grizzly Peak! What a perfect fit! Put him in a revise Country Bear Jamboree with "Pickin' up the Trash"! Some Imagineers were smart enough to give him a place (a small one, but at least a place) in The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail" on the Fire Danger sign. NOW it's time to make him more visible in GRR!

Back to Oswald, how about a walk thru funhouse type attraction all done in black and white themed to the 1920's?!?!?!

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by jepple
    Mickey Mouse would no longer be the first Disney character. Oswald outdates him.
    but Oswald is a Disney charactor!

• The one, the only...

I think that it would be a terrible idea to do anything with Oswald.

1) Oswald is an UNKNOWN to nearly 100% of the public. He would have to have a major PR campaign to bring awareness to the character.

2) Any resurrection of the character will immediately remind the public of Bugs Bunny. They will confuse Oswald with that character.

4) Oswald is the name of the person who assassinated THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! There is no redemption for that name. It is like bringing back a character called Hitler or Ted Bundy. The public would not understand the selection of the name.

5) Under the US copyright law, a company can have control over the likeness of a character for 100 years. After that, any company can reproduce the image. (It used to be 75 years, but when Mickey was about to turn that age, Disney petitioned the congress to raise it to 100 years.) Oswald is older than Mickey so will fall out of copyright sooner. Why spend all this money promoting a character that will soon become public domain?

6) Mickey is the star for Walt, not Oswald. Once Mickey was around, Walt never looked back. I see them a rivals not friends. I personally vote for Mickey over Oswald any day!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    2) Any resurrection of the character will immediately remind the public of Bugs Bunny. They will confuse Oswald with that character.

Hmm... I'm not sure where a confusion would be...

Did people confuse Bugs with this rabbit too?

-Tim

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Anyone want to speculate on what Walt Disney would say?

• Huh?

Oh... about the other points:

1) Oswald is an UNKNOWN to nearly 100% of the public. He would have to have a major PR campaign to bring awareness to the character.
    So, is it inconceivable to bring him back as even a fairly minor, but marketable character? Should we just ignore the existence of Claribelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar?

4) Oswald is the name of the person who assassinated THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES! There is no redemption for that name. It is like bringing back a character called Hitler or Ted Bundy. The public would not understand the selection of the name.
    John Wilkes Booth assassinated Abraham Lincoln... which is EXACTLY what I think of when I see John Smith with Pocahontas. Ted Bundy? Reminds me of Theodore of Alvin and the Chipmunks...

5) Under the US copyright law, a company can have control over the likeness of a character for 100 years. After that, any company can reproduce the image. (It used to be 75 years, but when Mickey was about to turn that age, Disney petitioned the congress to raise it to 100 years.) Oswald is older than Mickey so will fall out of copyright sooner. Why spend all this money promoting a character that will soon become public domain?
    Should Disney just forget about spending any more money on Mickey Mouse? Why spend more money when they have less than 25 years to go?

6) Mickey is the star for Walt, not Oswald. Once Mickey was around, Walt never looked back. I see them a rivals not friends. I personally vote for Mickey over Oswald any day!
    Oswald haunted Walt... I'm sure he would've gladly brought Oswald back if he could. They're not rivals -- they do share a common rival, though: Pete.
    -Tim

Cool Re: Do you want Oswald at Disneyland?

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    From before day 1 at DCA, I was hoping that Humphrey would be a regular around Grizzly Peak! What a perfect fit! Put him in a revise Country Bear Jamboree with "Pickin' up the Trash"! Some Imagineers were smart enough to give him a place (a small one, but at least a place) in The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail" on the Fire Danger sign. NOW it's time to make him more visible in GRR!

Back to Oswald, how about a walk thru funhouse type attraction all done in black and white themed to the 1920's?!?!?!
    I love the funhouse idea! That would be very cool. As poor old Humphrey Your right they need to do some thing with him. I use to just love the antics of good old Humphrey. He made me laugh so hard as a kid.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I think that it would be a terrible idea to do anything with Oswald.

You are so wrong about people not knowing who Oswald The Lucky Rabbit. All true fans Of Walt know who he is. An Walt most certainly did not ever forget or stop caring about the lost of him either. Have you even listened to what the family has had to say about this? Your right in saying Mickey is the star and he always will be. That in no way takes away from what Oswald means in the history Disney animation or even the evoloution of Mickey himself. If not for the loss of Oswald there simply would not a Mickey Mouse. Like wise he may have never moved on in doing animation at all. An that would have ment a loss of countless hours of family entertainment and all the family parks that have developed because of the mouse. So give credit where credit is due if not for the loss of Oswald none of this would be. So he definetly does have a place now that he has been returned. By the way there is now way to confuse Oswald with Bugs Bunny! Did they confuse Roger Rabbit with Bugs? NO. You reasoning not to do any thing with him based on the name Oswald being the same as a man who "assassinated" (if you really believe he was alone) a US president is just crazy. What if his name was Mickey? Would you still trully try to use this lame argument. Yes he will become public domaine sooner than Mickey so what. The bottem line Mickey will too and soon enough ,why not see what the company can do with Oswald? Give it a chance and see what happens.

• Man O Lantern

I have no clue who Oswald is....ack!

I google imaged him...so now I've seen pics, but I still have no clue who he is.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    I'd like to see the shorts added to the Main Street Cinema. Then we'll see how it goes.
    Yes! Let us all remember it really all started with a screwy rabbit.

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

Memo to me: Get stinkerbell a Walt Disney Biography book ASAP.

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Ooh don't upset JessicaLover.

OK what if they do a new cartoon can they reapply for 100 years of new copyright?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

PS An Oswald movie at DCA would be a great way to give it that Walt coming to California vision they were considering... and he could kind of serve as DCA's mascot where Mickey is more Disneyland's King.

• Animatronic

I don't think Disney is in danger of loosing Mickey since they use him like a trademark and trademarks can go forever.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast