Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Do you want Oswald at Disneyland?

I really think Oswald is more of an historical curiosity than anything else, and he will remain so even after this acquisition.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

Oswald as a Smurf:

Oswald in CGI:

Oswald in a Clown Outfit:

• the F.O.D. solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin
    Back to Oswald, how about a walk thru funhouse type attraction all done in black and white themed to the 1920's?!?!?!
    A B&W Toontown expansion? I like it!

• UH..LIKE DUH..

The name Oswald is synonomous with lone gunmen, and as a character he is the "Pete Best"of the disney legacy.

• Newbie.

Yes.
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• Married and happy again!!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Ooh don't upset JessicaLover.

OK what if they do a new cartoon can they reapply for 100 years of new copyright?
    Not upset just very honest get over it.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Near the DCA animation building maybe. But a lot of people don't even know who he is...
    I agree with this. But... there's also a part of me that thinks that Oswald is still Mickey before Mickey became Mickey. I think he's interesting and I think it's cool that the Disney company owns him again, but I don't really want to see Oswald on the Disney Channel or on T shirts. He's simply the great great grandfather icon of animation. People in their 90's might want to see a new Oswald animated feature, but the rest of us sadly grew up without him and probably wouldn't get what the fuss was about.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 02-11-2006 at 08:56 PM.

Oswald's re-introduction to the American public COULD be a *huge* success. It all depends on the marketing and PR departments. I could see a "Welcome Home Oswald" campaign, coupled with commercials mentioning/showing Walt drawing Oswald. Marketing and PR would need to introduce him slowly, but I could definitely see the public falling in love with him.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

He definitely belongs somewhere in the Park. Like the previous poster said, with the right PR campaign (without putting down Universal for STEALING him in the 1920's) he could be a big boost for the Company.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

It would be cool if maybe they could have an Oswald themed TV show on the Disney Channel or ABC or something. That could help bring him into popularity.
    Do you fear death? You fear that dark abyss? All your deeds laid bail. All your sins PUNISHED.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Um... how many kids today actually "grew up" with Mickey the way you suggest people in their 90s "grew up" with Oswald? Your argument makes ZERO sense.

If that's truly the case, then get rid of the rest of those "dated" characters that wander around the park and fill it up with Kim Possible, or Disney could buy DragonballZ so we can meet them instead.

Down with History! Up with the latest Fad!

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    I agree with this. And... there's also a part of me that thinks that Oswald is still Mickey before Mickey became Mickey. I think he's interesting and I think it's cool that the Disney company owns him again, but I don't really want to see Oswald on the Disney Channel or on T shirts. He's simply the great great grandfather icon of animation. People in their 90's might want to see a new Oswald animated feature, but the rest of us sadly grew up without him and probably wouldn't get what the fuss was about.
    Last edited by speederscout; 02-11-2006 at 04:11 PM.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso11
    It is very stange how in Japan he is very well known and in the US its only us Disney fans who have any idea who he is.
    Oh I don't know, the Japanese LOVE charecters of all sorts and they are always searching for more...it doesn't suprise me Japan loves him.
    I mean they love Clarise too...and how many Americans know Clarise??

long live Oswald! he's so cute

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    I agree with this. And... there's also a part of me that thinks that Oswald is still Mickey before Mickey became Mickey. I think he's interesting and I think it's cool that the Disney company owns him again, but I don't really want to see Oswald on the Disney Channel or on T shirts. He's simply the great great grandfather icon of animation. People in their 90's might want to see a new Oswald animated feature, but the rest of us sadly grew up without him and probably wouldn't get what the fuss was about.
    Well we lived without characters from Toy Story, Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty & The Beast, Lilo & Stitch, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., etc. But when the films were released to the public, the characters became very popular. So even though we did not grow up knowing who Oswald was, that does not mean that Disney can not easily market him to todays younger audience and make him popular. I think Oswald can become a popular Disney character in his own right, but not as popular as Mickey.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    Um... how many kids today actually "grew up" with Mickey the way you suggest people in their 90s "grew up" with Oswald? Your argument makes ZERO sense.

If that's truly the case, then get rid of the rest of those "dated" characters that wander around the park and fill it up with Kim Possible, or Disney could buy DragonballZ so we can meet them instead.

Down with History! Up with the latest Fad!
    It makes sense if you're over 90! Are YOU over 90??

The only people on the PLANET who remember watching Oswald in the THEATER before they had SOUND IN MOVIES are now in their 80's or 90's. Hence, they are the only ones who probably have SOME kind of connection with this Oswald creature. Ya bassically got TWO types of people who will know Oswald from a hole in the ground: People in their 90's and animation/Disney nuts. Aside from these relatively small groups of people, the public at large won't connect with him, IMO. And, also in my subjective but humble opinion, he LOOKS kind of "old" doesn't he? His design is very...um...retro. As in 1920's retro. And before you start throwing things at me, I do believe I have a point here: We no longer use phrases like "cats meow" and "23 skidoo." Oswald was a hit when it was popular for a group from Harvard to be called "The Wiffenpoofs." I think he's a curiosity, but to try to MAKE this character contemporary ain't gonna work.

Which brings up another point. If someone WERE to work on an animated feature or a short using Oswald....what do you do for his voice? The Oswald movies were all silent, no?

Finally, who said anything about getting rid of "dated" characters? The reason EVERYONE connects with Mickey and his friends is...THEY'VE BEEN KEPT ALIVE! Oswald, on the other hand, was put in the deep freeze. He's an 80 year old cartoon character who has just been brought back out into the light of day. MAYBE someone will give him a voice and he'll be wildly popular. But....I'm not seeing it. So...give it to me. Where am I wrong?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast