• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Disneyland: Then, Now & Forever Review

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but...
    I finally got it, probably the 50th Anniversary book I was looking forward to the most. And I have to say for the historical references and old photos and great "Oh COOL!" moments, Bruce Gordon and Tim O'Day didn't dissapoint.
    Any reference to a current ride, well that is another matter.

The historical side uses old photos, many in color, many never seen before, to tell you the story of what is now...what was before...and what was before that. There are some amazing parts. The part on Holiday Hill and the Matterhorn reads as one of my favorite parts. It covers the resort from the ususal "Burbank Studio Mickey Mouse Park" to DCA.
    I especially enjoyed views of things such as Holiday Hill and Bear Country construction.

Here is my grip though, for all the old rides, attractions that are not there and such they managed to find incredible photos to use. They show the park as a real place. But for anything like Buzz, Winnie the Pooh, anything in DCA, anything recent that they had press photos for they just used those photos. They were able to use realistic, amazing photos for all these things that are no longer there, but for things they can actually just go to the park and take a photo of they used PR shots of situations that never happen with people with dumber than thou smiles on thier faces. Any new attraction just reads with the usual "PLEASE COME SEE ME" language of Harris-era tourist packets. Which really drags this book down. This isn't a book like Around the World With Disney which is for tourists, this is a Disneyland fanatic book...it should read like one.
    I give it a B+. Of the 50th Anniversary releases, I wanted it the most, but the press release-like language for some of the rides (and for DCA ) hurt it a bit. The Art of Disneyland delivered with more class.

• Small Projects Team

Re: Disneyland: Then, Now & Forever Review

Good point, you'd think that just the fact that they have to spice up the pictures would make them realize that they're doing something wrong with the actual attractions.

• Having a Grand Day!

I felt that the book for WDW's 25th Aniversary, Since the World Began, was a better book because it gave a chronological history of the Development of WDW, wheras while Then, Now and Forever has some amazing coverage of the history of Disneyland with great photo's, feels like it has been slapped together in hodgepodge order.

• Circle of Ancients

I still want to see a book all about Fantasyland in its many forms, going into detail about its history, its attractions, and its castles. I think Disney needs to do a book series along the lines of "The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" about all of their lands. Those would be very good sellers, imo.

• Banned User

I loved it. It was kinda of slapped together, but made it feel like something true to the heart of a Disneyland fan. It is casual and provides great coverage through wonderful photos of the park's history. It's not like other Disney Edition books. I also loved the section that talked about California Adventure. The author sarcastically menitoned how the park was designed with a "hip and edgy" style. The way it was worded made it seem lame. Funny, but true.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding
    I still want to see a book all about Fantasyland in its many forms, going into detail about its history, its attractions, and its castles. I think Disney needs to do a book series along the lines of "The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" about all of their lands. Those would be very good sellers, imo.
    They are coming out with a Pirates version of the book.

• Animatronic

I'm still waiting for "Seasons of the Vine: From the Disneyland Resort to Infomercial"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    They are coming out with a Pirates version of the book.
    Its already out. check for it at Disneyland or your local book store.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Yes I agree Disneyland the First 25 Years is very very good book (Mr Sklar can write) and it's all in order, all done without marketing in mind.
    I don't know if I have WDW's 25th book...(ebay time).

The Pirates book is out. That is a SUPURB book, especially since it is done about a movie I reall care to learn about.

I think the book (Then, Now, Forever) lacked order...but I didn't see it as slapped together by anymeans...it just seems that what some powers that be still viewed as "marketable" were placed in as Ads, not for the rich history.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The Haunted Mansion: From the Movies to the Magic Kingdom and its sister book Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Movies to the Magic Kingdom are my favorite Disneyland-related books of all time. They're absolutely stunning and are solid, interesting reads. My only gripe with the Pirates of the Caribbean book was that some of the art could have been enlarged a bit more. Such amazing art shouldnt be scaled down to where you can barely appreciate it. Would it hurt to add a few more pages so we could have some bigger art?

According to Wikipedia, Jason Surrell, the author of those two books is working a new book exploring all of Disney's various Mountains (to be called: Disney Mountain: Imagineering at its Peak). Should be interesting!

As for Disneyland: Then Now and Forever, I agree about and noticed the press photos when I first got the book last year. Its great book, but the use of those press photos (while the rest of the book used honest photos that werent saturated like hell) really seemed a little tacky.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 02-11-2006 at 04:10 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |