Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How the heck?

• Hooterville, USA

How the heck?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I was waiting in line for Space Mountain , and I noticed that there was a car sitting off to the side with people in it. It only had track under it and somehow before I got to see how they did it, it made its way onto the main track. Magic? Don't think so, but how?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Re: How the heck?

There are three places or "slots" where track can be - one on the left (where handicapped guests board, what you saw), one in the center where trains normally go, and one on the right where the empty track can stay while the handicapped track is in use. There are two pieces of track - one normally off to the left for handicapped people to board (with the train on it), and another piece of track in the center for normal trains to ride on. Basically, when a handicapped train is ready to go, the normally center track slides off to the right along with the left track, allowing the handicapped train to move forward into the ride.

Sorry if it's so compicated; if anyone has a photo or GIF, post it (remember, a picture is worth a thousand words!)
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Up is Down

That would be the new and nice quick and easy load and unload station for people that may take a little longer to get in.... if they are in a wheelchair or something. So the load the people on the side then when they are clear to do so the track moves over and they are set to go....
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

While I don't know all the technical terms, we were fortunate enough to see this 'swap' done a few weeks back! They have a car sitting there for special assistance riders so they can load them without having to stop the ride and the people don't have to be rushed. Then they let an empty car go through and swap the empty car, stretch of track and all. It really is awesome! After they come back, they do it again. I'm sure someone else can explain it much better than I, but I do think it's an awesome thing to see - the things they come up with now!

Kinda like what the subs are gonna have.
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Up is Down

if the sub are going to use the same type of system that would be.... interesting.

• Hooterville, USA

Thanks, now I understand. Both pieces move. The main piece as well as the handicap piece.

• Up is Down

yes both shift over....

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I hate to break it to you, but while I think this is a brilliant addition on Space Mountain... um... there's a big attraction near the middle of the park called the Matterhorn. Ever heard of it? The same system has been sitting in front of your face since 1959.

Adapting it for use for handicapped guests, however, is a stroke of genius. But geez, people... how can you be a Disney geek if you don't open your eyes?

• Up is Down

it maybe thats the case but I have never seen it done on that ride but, everytime I have gone on space in the last 3 months I have seen it on there.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam
    That would be the new and nice quick and easy load and unload station for people that may take a little longer to get in.... if they are in a wheelchair or something. So the load the people on the side then when they are clear to do so the track moves over and they are set to go....
    My wife is legaly blind so we used that car, it works great as it takes the wife a little bit longer to get in and out of the car. it is a big help for people who need it. one cool side effect of this it feels more like a real launching, than the normal loading area, you are off to the side then slide over to the launching area and then you are on your way to space.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    I hate to break it to you, but while I think this is a brilliant addition on Space Mountain... um... there's a big attraction near the middle of the park called the Matterhorn. Ever heard of it? The same system has been sitting in front of your face since 1959.

Adapting it for use for handicapped guests, however, is a stroke of genius. But geez, people... how can you be a Disney geek if you don't open your eyes?
    That's why I asked the question. I couldn't figure it out. I'm not that smart to understand that there is 2 tracks? The SM and Matterhorn? Let digest the SM one first.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

They also make REEEALLY tall people get in the disability access cars as well. I sat there, even though I'm 6'3, and we sat there for quite some time before being shifted over onto the main track. There's one of these load tracks up front, and another behind to move additional cars on as the line gets longer.

• Stay Positive

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout

i know about that
    my friends and i were riding it, and they swapped our vehicle for the handicapped on, we were there for like 10 minutes, and they were gonna unboard us, so i was like "can we have a free ride cause you let us wait for so long, the cm's looked at eachother and were like "sure no problem" and they let us ride it again
    "Is a man who chooses to be bad better than a man who has the good imposed on him?"
    - Anthony Burgess
    "I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place–a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it."
    - Walt Disney on Disneyland

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfanatic
    i know about that
    my friends and i were riding it, and they swapped our vehicle for the handicapped on, we were there for like 10 minutes, and they were gonna unboard us, so i was like "can we have a free ride cause you let us wait for so long, the cm's looked at eachother and were like "sure no problem" and they let us ride it again
    Wow you had to ask? I thought it was policy that if you were in the train that for some reason or another got pushed to the side (handicapped or to let the release of trains catch back up if it gets backed up) that they gave you a free ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast