Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Turtle Talk With Crush

OK... how is it done?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Re: Turtle Talk With Crush

Magic.

• I'm your huckleberry.

There was an article about it in the last issue of Disney Magazine, told how it was done.

Spoiler
    My synopsis of the article is that there is someone off stage with a microphone who actually answers the questions and interacts with the kids. Then a computer changes the voice to sound like Crush, and the image on the screen is changed to reflect that.

I'm sure there is a better way to explain it, but if you can get a hold of that copy of Disney Magazine, its pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Thanks for the info. It's pretty obvious there's a guy offstage. There are a couple of small windows on either side of the "window to the Pacific" that probably contain the cameras he looks through. I guess my main question is: How is the manipulation of Crush accomplished exactly. It's all so very fluid and seemingly spontaneous that the idea of using a keyboard to call up an expression or movement seems "clunky." I've wondered if there's a "motion capture" element... a la Andy Sirkus/Gollum.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Defeats the Huns

Spoiler
    There is a person offstage who does the Crush voice. The voice is not manipulated. He holds a Playstation-like controller to control Crush's actions. the next time you go and watch Crush, pay attention to when he asks the kids what their name is. Say it's Bob. and then Crush says "Bodacious Bob!" well.. there's a little bit of lag time before he actually says Bodacious Bob. that's cuz the computer is recognizing the actor's voice and then transferring it into the screen so that his mouth moves to the words.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Isn't this the Same as Talk to Stitch in Innoventions? I don't know if they still have it, last time I went inside that place was 2 years ago, but it was a lot of fun talking with Stitch though.

Stitch was amazing. To my knowledge, that attraction's been quietly removed.

• Banned User

I love the turtle show. I've only been three times (yeah out of how many millions of times at the park??) and I'm really getting into it now. Last week I asked him what the meaning of life was. I almost had the guy stumped lol.

• Banned User

You think the actor actually knows alot of facts about sea turtles? I think I might look up some obscure facts and stump him.

• Minion

Im sure that he must remember a lot of basic questions in case someone tries too stump him.

The turtle is rendered in real time with computers using a system that is, or LIKE the Henson Digital Performance Studio. I have seen this system work myself and its VERY VERY similar to Turtle Talk. It takes 2-3 people to act out Crush. 1 acter to do the voice and facial expressions, 1 to do his general movements, and 1 optional to control the enviornment. Its all done live behind the stage and out of view.

I do 3D animation myself for TV shows.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

As for the movement: There's a base set of locations that Crush can appear on the screen. Then, there are transition animations that allow for the 3D character to move around, and get from Point A to Point 2. Basically, the Actor's can call (X animation), and the computer automatically figures out the transition from one location to the other. If we've got any Sims players reading, it sorta works the same way. There's a set of animations, and then transition animations, to the next specific task. Sometimes the computer does goof, and there is a somewhat ackward transitions, but the CMs now know what specific movements/animations look the best, and use them in specific orders.
    -Monorail Man

• What, where am i?

you mean its not really CRUSH??? [smilie=3,26,4] [smilie=3,16,14]
    If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. Then find someone who's life has given them vodka and have a party.

I look at you and I see 2 men. The man you are and the man you ought to be. One day those 2 will meet and should make for one hell of a football player!

If this is torture, chain me to the wall

Are you there God? It's me Jesus.

Locke and Jack are to busy worrying about Locke and Jack.

The best kind of Prize is a surprise! Hehehe

The sun never sets on the Disney Empire.

• Island Paradise

Our family interacted with Crush for the first time a few weeks ago.
    My kids were mesmerized and they're not an easy group to please. They picked both of my kids to talk to, then went out into the audience to speak with my hubby and I. We noticed a bit of lag time in the voice to character response. Overall it's pretty fluid.

Totalllllllllyyyyyy cute, dudes!

i love this attraction. It blew me away! i actually was really close to believeing this really is magic, until i saw it the 2nd time and crush's voice was a pitch higher

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by woxel1
    Stitch was amazing. To my knowledge, that attraction's been quietly removed.
    Awww what a bummer. Now there's really nothing for me to see in Innoventions. I saw Stitch twice. First time was so hilarious--went to DLR in '02 when they had a victory parade for the Angels after they won the World Series. I don't know if anyone went to that, but they gave out those thunder sticks to everyone who went inside DLR...so here I am toting mine around & I go see Stitch's thing...he asked me what they were and I told him and he was sooooo shocked and intrigued! Oohhh thunder...LOL but he insisted that they were Salami sticks. Second time I went almost 2 years ago when I began dating my then-b/f. We got our picture taken at the end and he spruced it up a little bit with Photo Shop I believe...

But back on subject--I too enjoyed Crush. Cute how he interacted with all the little kids that were sitting on the floor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast