Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would You...

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Lightbulb Would You...

There is an awful lot of grumbling going around recently about a possible strike when the Attractions contract expires in March . I don't forsee it happening however; mostly because as a former CM I believe the Attractions Union at Disneyland will fold like an umbrella under management pressure. I will say that there are a lot of legitimate (and maybe not so legitimate) CM concerns which is leading to some unhappy working conditions.
    Now many of us on here are Annual Passholders so my question is...
    • If there was an attractions strike at Disneyland would you cross the picket line to visit the park?
    My answer in case your interested is No, I would not. Your thoughts ?
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

Re: Would You...

I would stay @ home and let it tide over....But similar to the Albertsons strike.....If I go I go.....

I would not let it affect my travel plans.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I'm with Disneyphile, if I go, I go, not going to make a point of going to cross a line, but if I happen to feel like going it won't stop me.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Circle of Ancients

Personally I feel that Union's (and for that matter strikes) should be reserved for those in "Specialty" positions. Mine Workers, Police, Fire, Nurses, etc.

IMO Supermarket Workers, Food Workers and yes, attraction workers at DL should not be in unions.

So yes, I would cross the lines and have a great day at DL.

Plus it will probably be a good time to go because alot of people would not cross the lines.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I would go. I'm not a big fan of unions.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Banned User

I would not cross the lines, unions have done wonders for those in them ( I come from a huge union town) but again my plane ticket is bought, my park ticket cost me mucho grande, and my motel is paid, would I cross, I would have to seriously think about this, maybe I would just go to the beach or knotts

• Life is Great!

while I would want to support the workers, if it went on long enough i would end up crossing it just because i can only go so long without the mouse
    {:
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    I would not cross the lines, unions have done wonders for those in them ( I come from a huge union town) but again my plane ticket is bought, my park ticket cost me mucho grande, and my motel is paid, would I cross, I would have to seriously think about this, maybe I would just go to the beach or knotts
    I would say unions have done wonders for some workers, but not Disneyland CM's. In fact, I talked to a 14 year CM last week who said her union was a complete waste of dues and just made a bunch of union fat cats fatter.

I respect workers who strike for employee safety or patient safety, for example. When workers who get decent (although not great) compensation, good benefits and work in a safe environment decide to strike, I just think, "Whaaaaa". Yes if Disneyland CM's strike next month, I'd go to Disneyland without hesitation.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I completely support the CMs, and my friends who are CMs. But their union is a joke. If it wasn't then why isn't one of their main concerns wages?!? The stories I've heard and read regarding their union reps make me want to scream. That dues money is going someplace, but it sure isn't going to help the members. I almost feel the CMs should follow the lead of some of their peers and vote OUT the union. When it no longer serves it's purpose, or the actual needs of the membership, then it has outlived itself.

Stand up, CMs!

• Hooterville, USA

Before anyone else bash a union, do your homework. Because of the unions, workers are paid better and work conditions are better too! But, your union is only as strong as the membership. In my opinion, not enough CMs are even remotely interested in what their union stands for. And for anyone else that doesn't already know, the union is just people like you and me teaming up to have a voice in our work place. And one more thing, when you cross a picket line, you are hurting regular people who are trying to make a living. Honor their line, and the strike will be settled quicker. Ok, rant is over with.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

If I didn't have an AP I would not cross the line. But, having already paid to enter via the AP I would go in. Druggas is right, if not for the unions people would not get decent pay, overtime pay or any benefits whatsoever.
    Mike

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    I completely support the CMs, and my friends who are CMs. But their union is a joke. If it wasn't then why isn't one of their main concerns wages?!? The stories I've heard and read regarding their union reps make me want to scream. That dues money is going someplace, but it sure isn't going to help the members. I almost feel the CMs should follow the lead of some of their peers and vote OUT the union. When it no longer serves it's purpose, or the actual needs of the membership, then it has outlived itself.

Stand up, CMs!
    Here, here!

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Before anyone else bash a union, do your homework. Because of the unions, workers are paid better and work conditions are better too! But, your union is only as strong as the membership. In my opinion, not enough CMs are even remotely interested in what their union stands for. And for anyone else that doesn't already know, the union is just people like you and me teaming up to have a voice in our work place. And one more thing, when you cross a picket line, you are hurting regular people who are trying to make a living. Honor their line, and the strike will be settled quicker. Ok, rant is over with.
    While I respect your rant, I would say the facts are against you. Because of unions, many workers are paid more, but not "better". This is because all too often the higher wages force jobs overseas or, worse, force the elimination of jobs altogether (see Ford and GM).

Too many union people are interested only in money and the power that comes with it. Sorry, those people are not like me. Refusing to cross a Disneyland picket line only enables an inept union and does not really help the CMs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast