Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How to Improve the FastPass System

What possible adjustments (aside from eliminating or curtailing usage) do you think the FastPass system needs in order for it to work better?

• Basking in birthday love

Re: How to Improve the FastPass System

Ideally I think enforcing the time window would be the best way to optimize the system, but logistically they can't really do that. Even barring the sort of things that can keep you from returning to the attraction within your window, if you get there with active FastPasses and the attraction is down, you shouldn't be penalized. And leaving it up to the discretion of the CM at greeter/merge is just a bad idea, because a consistant policy is necessary.

I think the biggest thing is to recognize which attractions actually need it and which don't. FP belongs on medium-high capacity (1500-2000 guests/hour) dispatch attractions, and that's it. That basically puts it on the coasters: Space, Splash, Indy, BTMRR (though that one's not seeing the capacity to merit FP lately, which is why it won't run there on slow days) and maybe Autopia (I don't get over there enough to judge accurately) at DL, and Screamin' and Grizzly at DCA. (I personally would keep it at Soarin' as well even though that ride doesn't meet the requirements I outlined above, just because it's the most popular ride at DCA and guests would revolt if it didn't offer an FP option.) ToT can go either way (it's another one that shuts off the system on slow days), but it should definitely be taken off Buzz. I definitely extend my congratulations to TDA/WDI for recognizing that Monsters has no need for FastPass.

Also, they need to pull the Star Tours distro area. It's an eyesore, and Star Tours hasn't run its FP in, what, a year? Get rid of it already.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

First and foremost, I, myself, would like to see made identical the stand-by wait time and the FastPass wait time.

Most attractions currently defer to the stand-by guests, but, in so doing, these locations cause the problems that occur from having guests stray farther and farther away from the area.

These attractions need to offer more FastPass tickets per hour so that the wait times decrease.

Secondly, I'd like to see dispensers in more locations. For example, Central Plaza has the potential to provide a centrally-located FastPass distribution point for guests before they enter the realms. Similarly, the entrance to D.C.A. could do the same for its FastPass attractions.

In my opinion, there is too much space devoted to existing FastPass distribution areas and there are probably too many dispensers at these locations, as well. Having people wait a little longer in queues to obtain FastPass tickets does make some sense. And, having more distribution points makes a great deal of sense.

Other possible locations might be near the exits of the Disneyland Railroad stations, as well as near the center of each realm.

Thirdly, I'd like to see the FastPass process fictionalized so that it becomes part of the show.

For example, some guests might be issued boarding passes for Star Tours while others receive invitations to The Haunted Mansion.

• Basking in birthday love

See, I disagree: I think the tradeoff for getting to go through the shorter FP queue is having to go to the ride twice. Plus, FP machines in the Central Plaza would be difficult, if not impossible, to integrate into the theming of the area, and would be a major crowd flow issue, especially during entertainment. But I do think that cutting each distro area from 6 machines to 4 has its benefits.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Secondly, I'd like to see dispensers in more locations. For example, Central Plaza has the potential to provide a centrally-located FastPass distribution point for guests before they enter the realms. Similarly, the entrance to D.C.A. could do the same for its FastPass attractions.

In my opinion, there is too much space devoted to existing FastPass distribution areas and there are probably too many dispensers at these locations, as well. Having people wait a little longer in queues to obtain FastPass tickets does make some sense. And, having more distribution points makes a great deal of sense.

Other possible locations might be near the exits of the Disneyland Railroad stations, as well as near the center of each realm.
    Positioning dispensers of FastPass tickets for nearby attractions at the exits of other FastPass attractions would be convenient, too.

• Classic Animation

I would like to see an unlimited fastpass ticket sold. In 2003 we had one of the AAA tickets with unlimited fastpass. In the middle of July it was a blessing. I was actually able to hold fastpasses for all attractions at one time with a carefully planned trip around the park.

PragmaticIdealist,

Wow. I think I disagree 100% with every single one of your ideas. The whole thing about fastpass is that it's a trade-off. You get a shorter wait in LINE, but you have to actually wait longer than if you stood in standby. Otherwise, what's the point of using the standby line?

Also, increasing fastpasses available per hour can only serve to make the standby line longer -- it's simple math.

Finally, I would hate to see those machines all over the park in centralized areas. Right now, they're usually either tucked away in the attraction or they're at least themed properly. And if they put them in different parts of the park, the average non-AP guest would get extremely confused if they had to go to one end of the park to get a fastpass for an attraction somewhere else -- it's already confusing enough to people who aren't familiar with it.

Keep it the way it is or get rid of it altogether. Personally, I prefer the latter.

• white and nerdy

I like it the way it is. Go ahead and insult me all you want, but I enjoy it.

I may update the software so that mistakes are not made as often, but that's all I'd do.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Vehicle rotating backward

Other than say "eliminate it?" Drat.

Well, it would help if they could do something to get rid of the people standing in line with dozens of passes to run through the machines.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Well, it would help if they could do something to get rid of the people standing in line with dozens of passes to run through the machines.
    I know when I'm there with a large group, one person will take all passes and run them through the machine for everyone, thus making for less of a crowd at the fastpass machines.

The alternative to that would be to have dozens of people, each with their own pass . . .

That sounds even less appealing.

• Animatronic

I'd make the fastpass machines take credit cards and charge $20 per fastpass. The money collected could be used to build another much better ride to reduce the popularity of the one with the fastpass machine.

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    First and foremost, I, myself, would like to see made identical the stand-by wait time and the FastPass wait time.
    Why beat around the bush this way? You want to get rid of fastpass.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Minion

I think that Fastpass is a great way to save your spot in line while you go do something else and then come back to the attraction. Its the people that get multiple Fastpasses at a time that are creating capacity issues. Also, there are many attractions, stated above, that can do well without Fastpass.
    Jeff Wayne

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast