Thread: AP discounts?

• i believe in faeries.

AP discounts?

Hi there! So, although I live in Canada, I'm toying with the idea of getting an AP, since I will be coming to Disneyland twice this year. I was looking at the deluxe, but I would need to come on a blackout day and purchase a tickets anyway, I might as well get the premium. The website says select shops and restaurants have discounts, and I do remember being asked if I was an AP holder on my last vacation... just wondering if it's worth me getting the premium, or if it would end up costing me extra money, trying to save money.

Re: AP discounts?

The Premium pass discount at some shops and some restaurants is 15% (vs 10% with the Deluxe). So you'd need to do the math yourself on how much you were already planning on spending at those places and if it'd wash out for you. If you're going on what would be a Deluxe blackout day, then it's probably worth it to not buy that separate ticket but only you know your plans, so you'll have to price it out. On Disneyland's website each restaurant's page specifies if it has an AP discount or not, so that should help you assess.

It looks like a 15% vs 10% discount for most things. Plus don't forget the free parking for Premium. I've attempted to add a link to the discount page on the Disney site

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/pas...s/restaurants/
    "A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference." Eeyore

I have a Deluxe, and a couple weeks ago at Flo's diner, I got 15% off with my AP. Not sure why...

• Certified DL Addict

If you are looking to come on a blackout day it's pretty much worth it to upgrade to Premium since they no longer sell black-out tickets and you would have to buy a full priced ticket. Plus the higher discounts and parking is nice
    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
    *~2014- Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*
    *~2015- Disney Parks Premier Passholder~*

• i believe in faeries.

thanks for the responses. i think i'm going to go with an AP, it just seems to be the best option with discounts and going twice in 2015. and hey, maybe i'll add another trip before it expires next year (to get my money's worth)!

I remember a few years back, I was given 50% off my entire meal at the Jazz Kitchen with just my deluxe pass. I was surprised, but happy. They must have thought I was an employee, or something.

• Chief Troublemaker

Kinda OTT question. Is my AP discount (deluxe) valid on a blockout day? I may be going (1 day quick trip as I'll be in the LA area for another function) and my pass won't be valid on the day we can go, but it'd be nice if I still got my discount.

I know the cost of upgrade vs a one day hopper. Not upgrading.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Wait, if you don't have an AP already and are planning on going on a blockout day, you could always just buy a ticket and then when you leave for the day use it to upgrade to an AP. That should work, yes? You just won't get any AP discounts on that first day.
    I'd rather be at DISNEYLAND!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Kinda OTT question. Is my AP discount (deluxe) valid on a blockout day? I may be going (1 day quick trip as I'll be in the LA area for another function) and my pass won't be valid on the day we can go, but it'd be nice if I still got my discount.

I know the cost of upgrade vs a one day hopper. Not upgrading.
    I don't think it would be a problem. I remember going on a Blockout day and still getting a restaurant discount, but this was a while back. It never hurts to ask a Cast Member first.
    "A little consideration, a little thought for others, makes all the difference." Eeyore

Quote Originally Posted by emthejedichic View Post
    Wait, if you don't have an AP already and are planning on going on a blockout day, you could always just buy a ticket and then when you leave for the day use it to upgrade to an AP. That should work, yes? You just won't get any AP discounts on that first day.
    Only if the blackout day is the first day of her first trip, though, right?

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by emthejedichic View Post
    I have a deluxe already. Not upgrading to premium.

I've never understood waiting til the end of the day to upgrade. Does it extend your AP? I always thought if you upgraded using a ticket it was backdated to your first date of entry on that ticket. For example, I have a 3 day, enter on Wednesday. Upgrade on Friday to AP. I was under the impression that my AP would be backdated to Wednesay. No?

Quote Originally Posted by DebG View Post
    I don't think it would be a problem. I remember going on a Blockout day and still getting a restaurant discount, but this was a while back. It never hurts to ask a Cast Member first.
    Thanks. I'm definitely going to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by lalolovesme View Post
    Only if the blackout day is the first day of her first trip, though, right?
    When we upgraded to an AP from a 5 day hopper, we did it the first day so we could get the blockout ticket for that day. Come to think of it, I DO think we got the AP discount that day, even though it was technically a blockout day. I just can't remember.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"