Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• madaboutdisney

First time ToT goer

So in a few days i'm going to california adventure and i'm getting scared just thinking about the tower of terror! I guess my biggest concern is what exactly you are gonna feel when you are dropping? Like how is your stomach gonna feel?? I'm not scared about heights or anything but i can't stand that "butterfly" feeling you get in your stomach when you are dropping down splash mountain or somthing and it feels like your stomach does flips. is it the same feeling? or is it different since the ride is sort of a freefall. ahhh i am determined to ride it but the thought of my tummy feeling that way drives me nuts. I can't stand those turbulent airplane rides that make you feel that way or when you're in a bouncy elevator that bounces you back up when you hit the next floor.
    would you be able to compare the feeling to that?

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: First time ToT goer

I think you'll do fine. It's the CA one, so random drops aren't in yet and most people will probably have it figured out in their heads and give fair notice about when the drop is about to begin. Sure, you'll feel nervous getting into the car but let the pre-drop effects calm you down. I don't think I'd do it myself, though, I hate that "flying out of your seat" feeling one gets from a sudden uphill climb in the middle of a roller coaster, and I think TOT is probably all about that. It simply would be uncomfortable for me. Not scary so much as nausea-inducing.

But really, you're strapped in tight and running a ride at the Mouse House that does it's thing about a hundred times a day. Why worry? And if you do, wait until a pretty girl/guy/whatever your thing is gets in line and get behind him/her. It's what I'd do. That way, even if I didn't enjoy it I got to spend a few minutes sitting next to a pretty girl!

• Omnimover Groover

If the butterfly in the stomach effect doesn't rest well with you, then this one's gonna test your mettle. Good luck.
    People aren't successful because they have never failed.....they are successful because failing hasn't stopped them.

• Banned User

well I did it, 3 times. but it is that feeling of butterflys . I am not sure I will do it my next trip, I am scared just thinking about it now!! its a weird feeling and a free fall, scared me to death! but what a rush when you get off LOL! besides, you get a great pictures of it when you get off the ride
    Of cvourse I never did get one, some idiots keep flipping off the camer and if that happens you do not get it

• Pirate Girl

Hi weirdbutlovable,

Good luck. I hate that free-fall feeling too. And that is just what you get on DCA's Tower Of Terror. My Dad loves that ride so I ride it for him occasionally. The coolest parts of the ride are before that anyway. Pay attention to the building, the cool Rod Serling impression on the Twilight Zone on tv, the ghostly impression/photo of you all in your seats. Tighten your lap belt as far as you can and make sure you are in a seat with both handles. It does go rather quickly and will be over before you know it. I shudder just to think of riding it again. But I am glad you have an open enough mind to ride it. How will you know if you don't? I had a friend who would never ride Splash Mtn. I still can't understand. How do you KNOW if you don't try it?

Aprille :-)

• Sshhh, being very quiet

My TOT First time story:

I went alone..yes..ALONE. My sister was at DCA with me but we had my infant son, so she stayed with my son while I rode alone. I waited about 20 minutes.
    Oh BTW the Decor is WONDERFUL! I have SO many pictures of the details and such. Check out my MiceSpace or my Livejournal for pics.

Anyway, waited about 20 minutes. Then got on. This ride is pretty intense. The storyline and visuals are great. The dropping..well. Let me just say it is pretty intense.

I got of and my hands were shaking...they didn't stop shaking for about an hour..no kidding. I have never been that terrified in my ENTIRE life!

That was about a year ago, I have since ridden it about 150 times (I'm an AP holder) and one time rode it 4 times in a row, got off..got right back on. I couldn't do more than that as I started to get nauseated.

Good luck!

• madaboutdisney

yeah, a part of me is saying "TRY IT! you'll never know if you don't try" but i know a part of me is going to be so scared! i hear the cast members get you nervous too. somthing i definently DON'T need. lol. but yeah, i guess i could stand at least 30 seconds of gut wrenching drops. lol if i like it, maybe i'll ride it again. but right now, i'm determined to ride it just once! lol

i kind of had this same fear before going on splash mountain a long time ago. but then i ended up loving it! so hopefully this turns out the same way! wish me luck! lol

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wierdbutloveable, edited for order
    1. So in a few days i'm going to california adventure and i'm getting scared just thinking about the tower of terror!
    2. I guess my biggest concern is what exactly you are gonna feel when you are dropping?
    3. Like how is your stomach gonna feel??
    4. I'm not scared about heights or anything but i can't stand that "butterfly" feeling you get in your stomach when you are dropping down splash mountain or somthing and it feels like your stomach does flips. is it the same feeling?
    5. or is it different since the ride is sort of a freefall. ahhh i am determined to ride it but the thought of my tummy feeling that way drives me nuts. I can't stand those turbulent airplane rides that make you feel that way or when you're in a bouncy elevator that bounces you back up when you hit the next floor. would you be able to compare the feeling to that?
    1. Being scared is a perfectly cromulent feeling. It's called life. It was built precisely for this purpose: to conquer fear. And to have fun. And to try to increase DCA attendance. (2 out of 3 ain't bad.)
    2. You will feel as if you are dropping. Sorry to give it away.
    3. It's pretty uncomfortable, but it's controlled and it will be over soon. With a plane, you never know.
    4. Gravity is pretty constant, though the story is that you get pulled down (force greater than gravity) on the ToT.
    5. Yes, it feels as if you are dropping. It all feels the same to me. Difference is that you don't like it, but I find it amusing.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by wierdbutloveable
    i hear the cast members get you nervous too. somthing i definently DON'T need. lol.

Hmm..well all they really do is play the part VERY well. I had one CM who was actually wearing the dark makeup with circles under his eyes to look like Buddy the Bellhop in the commercials. And then when the doors opened after the ride, he screamed "boo!" and flashed the light on this girl who screamed..it was great.

I think the BEST TOT memory for me...a wife and her hubby were on the ride. She was so nervous and screaming the whole time...when the ride ended, she yelled to her hubby "I *enter the F explicit here* hate you!" It was rather funny and got the whole car laughing.

• madaboutdisney

Does anyone know the drop sequence for the DCA version. I keep hearing about a random drop sequence but is that only at WDW?

As far as I know, the WDW has random drops..the DCA one doesn't. I can give you the drops and when they happen..but I believe the element of surprise might work better for you.

• Minion

I HATE 0 gravity rides, and free falls
    But TOT is my favorite ride, ever. It is amazing, iv been on it 100 + times and last time i went on it 6 times in a row. Its awsome, i love it, Try it and if you like it stay with it/

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by wierdbutloveable
    So in a few days i'm going to california adventure and i'm getting scared just thinking about the tower of terror! I guess my biggest concern is what exactly you are gonna feel when you are dropping? Like how is your stomach gonna feel?? I'm not scared about heights or anything but i can't stand that "butterfly" feeling you get in your stomach when you are dropping down splash mountain or somthing and it feels like your stomach does flips. is it the same feeling? or is it different since the ride is sort of a freefall. ahhh i am determined to ride it but the thought of my tummy feeling that way drives me nuts. I can't stand those turbulent airplane rides that make you feel that way or when you're in a bouncy elevator that bounces you back up when you hit the next floor.
    would you be able to compare the feeling to that?
    You'll do fine on the TOT.. yes your stomache has this butterfly feeling.. but this ride is so awesome.. I am scared to death of heights.. but I JUST LOVE THIS RIDE

Friends for life

• Banned User

I totally loved the maliboomer better, weird I know but being out side was sooo much better for me.
    And Sediment, last time I went to California our plane dropped and wow was that freaky! we were going along fine, then bam we dropped big time and then we dropped again. scared me yet it was like tot and I was really wanting to scream "wooooo hoooooooo ride em " but I caught my self just in time. but I had this huge grin on my face.the pilot told the stewardesses to buckle up, I was like what" then we dropped, then again, I will never forget that.

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

I am afraid of heights but get a kick out of TOT anyways. I think the thing that amazes me is how smooth the ride is. You don't feel like you've been beat to death when you get off. I say try it once; if you don't like it, you never have to do it again. However, you might be suprised and like it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast