Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Small Projects Team

Marty's Retirement

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet. I might recall reading it somewhere else...but today at work I heard mention of the upcoming retirement party of Marty Sklar, Vice-Chairman of Walt Disney Imagineering. Thought I'd mention the news, if it is indeed news, sorry I don't have any details.

• time to go

Re: Marty's Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by mattjbhs
    I don't know if it's been mentioned yet. I might recall reading it somewhere else...but today at work I heard mention of the upcoming retirement party of Marty Sklar, Vice-Chairman of Walt Disney Imagineering. Thought I'd mention the news, if it is indeed news, sorry I don't have any details.
    Marty will now become the "Imagineering Ambassador," according to a statement issued by Jay Rasulo's office today.

LaughingPlace and Jim Hill's discussion boards have posted the announcement.
    "Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Small Projects Team

Well at least I'm the first to mention it on this site.
    Last edited by mattjbhs; 02-15-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Sad news I think Marty will be missed by a lot of imagineers. At least he is not totally gone. One more link to Walt that is fading......

• Omnimover Groover

Too bad. I am a Marty fan.
    Here's to Mr. Sklar - all good things to him in the future.
    People aren't successful because they have never failed.....they are successful because failing hasn't stopped them.

• Small Projects Team

What does it mean to be an imagineering ambassador? Does that mean he's a consultant like most former imagineers?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Hopefully it means that if John Lasseter is going to head up or oversee Imagineering, that he sees the value in someone like Mr. Sklar and if he is leaving at least they will keep him on as a good faith consultant that knows the old ropes. I hope, and am pretty sure (personal opinion) that Mr. Lasseter, as a former CM in attractions, understands that keeping in touch with those who actually cared about the park are important to it's future.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• time to go

What does it mean to be an imagineering ambassador?
    Who the heck knows. Everyone's makin' it up as they go along.

From what I can tell, "Imagineering Ambassador" is just a fancy term for "Imagineer Emeritus."

Marty is about to become the Roy E. Disney of Glendale.

• I'm your huckleberry.

What does it mean to be an imagineering ambassador? Does that mean he's a consultant like most former imagineers?
    I'm guessing it might be something like a "professor emeritus" at a University. An honorary position, someone who gets to be a guest speaker at events and is trotted out to impress board members.

I hope Mr. Sklar's position is more than that though. It would be a shame to loose such a font of genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I'm guessing it might be something like a "professor emeritus" at a University. An honorary position, someone who gets to be a guest speaker at events and is trotted out to impress board members.
    I thought I just said that.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    I thought I just said that.
    I guess I missed that. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• The one, the only...

I think that all this is positive news. Marty Sklar had wanted to stay with Disney even after his 75th birthday. But his contributions to Imagineering have been limited lately. It is great that there can be a "clean slate" for Lasseter. Sklar's old position will not be filled. I wish him the best in the new ceremonial position and look forward to Lasseter moving Imagineering in the right direction.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

This is good and bad news. Yes this means WDI is cleaning out at the top of the house as opposed to just firing the guys down below who have to do all the work. Maybe Goodman and Fitzgerald are following him soon...but at the same time, I've been a fan of Marty Sklar. He's played his games, hes survived, and I refuse to see how he has forgotten what Walt wanted. He was Walt's book and Speech writer back in the day, and was still a living link in WDI to Walt. But at the same time, even with that things like the layoffs are happening. So...
    Hopefully he still gets to use this figurehead position in a positive way. He's a Disney Legend after all and shouldn't just be pushed out completely.
    Don Goodman and Tom Fitzgerald might not be so lucky to get a figurehead position, and you know they can always go join old Barry somewhere. I mean Harris joined Pressler...they travel in packs.
    Hopefully Tony Baxter and Eric Jacobson and Joe Rhode start getting more support again.

• disney dreamer

Disney's Sklar exits Imagineering job for parks post

Reuters News - February 16, 2006
    By Sheigh Crabtree

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The executive shake-ups continued at the Walt Disney Co. Wednesday as the company adjusts to its recent $7.4 billion acquisition of Pixar Animation Studios.

Marty Sklar, a 50-year veteran at Disney, stepped down as vice chairman and principal creative exec for Walt Disney Imagineering in the wake of Pixar executive vp John Lasseter being named principal creative adviser of the theme park division. In his new position, Lasseter reports to Disney CEO Robert Iger, bypassing parks and resorts management. Sklar will serve as Walt Disney parks and resorts Imagineering ambassador, a role as yet undefined.

"I knew that as my 72nd birthday and my 50th Disney anniversary approached, I would look for new challenges," Sklar wrote in a memo to Disney employees. "So when Jay Rasulo (chairman of Walt Disney parks and resorts) asked me to talk about the future, I was 'all ears' to a challenging proposal Jay made. It not only seems to be one of those ideas that is overdue, but it was clear to me that I am the perfect casting (perhaps the only candidate) capable of originating and organizing this assignment."

Describing the new assignment as a "blank sheet of paper," Sklar wrote that he planned to recruit new talent at colleges and universities, develop traveling exhibitions to promote the talents -- present and past -- of Imagineering and speak at conferences and conventions.
    Sklar's former position is not expected to be filled, according to an Imagineering spokesperson.

"This has been in the works for some time," the spokesperson said. "We have a very strong creative team in place. For the past 10 years we have been working with Pixar as we take the stories from their films and bring them to our theme parks. We have had a very strong creative relationship with Pixar."

When Lasseter and Ed Catmull, the newly appointed president of Pixar and Disney animation studios, toured the Walt Disney Co. divisions after last month's acquisition announcement, the two visited briefly with Imagineering staff.

In a memo to WDI staff regarding Sklar's new position, Rasulo emphasized the talents of the group's creative leadership, noting that they all "look forward to the energy and insight Imagineering will get from John Lasseter in his new role as principal creative adviser."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
    Genie, I wish for your freedom!

• Banned User

from what i have heard he wasn't doing alot at WDI. he is 75? It's time for new people to take over the helm I am sure he will be replaced eventually unless WDI ceases to exist. OF course anything is possible, they could fold the whole unit into another division. I hope that isn't going to happen thought. I wish marty well. His contributions won't be forgotten.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast