Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Will Steve Jobs and George Lucas Update StarTours?

Do you think the Lucasfilm-Pixar-Apple-Disney connection will finally be enough to get George Lucas to greenlight the long awaited Star Tours II?

• Banned User

Re: Will Steve Jobs and George Lucas Update StarTours?

I thought they already planned this!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The first incarnation of the ride appeared in Tomorrowland at Disneyland in 1987, replacing the previous attraction, Adventure Thru Inner Space. So 2007 would be the 20th anniversary and 2012 is the 25th anniversary. Either would be a good time to re launch the ride so to speak.

When /if they do they should make 6 different movies to give re-ride value to the attraction! just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by symbolic
    When /if they do they should make 6 different movies to give re-ride value to the attraction! just a thought!
    When Star Tours first opened, the creators had intended for the attraction to continually offer new flights to different destinations in the Star Wars galaxy.

Star Tours was among the first in a plan to create software-based attractions that would have unlimited life cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    Do you think the Lucasfilm-Pixar-Apple-Disney connection will finally be enough to get George Lucas to greenlight the long awaited Star Tours II?
    It would be awesome, but honestly- its been a trillion years since the ride has been old. If something was going to happen, it would have.

Of course who would have figured the Pixar and Oswald buying, so maybe pessism isn't as good a prognosticator as it used to be?
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

It's gunna happen - Lucas has already said it would (& recently too!) Sit tight on this one but I am quietly confident it is set to be one of DL's next big projects (alongside of HISTA's replacement & my giant moving walkway)
    I'm just a bit more than Just Really Nice!

Yes, apparently, Robert Iger sincerely wants to restore good relations with George Lucas, so the new Disney C.E.O. has, reportedly, been quite amenable to Lucas' desires regarding "the ultimate Star Wars experience".

George Lucas was among several people who swore that they would never work with Walt Disney again as long as Michael Eisner was in charge of the company. So, I am sure that even before Eisner's resignation, Iger was arranging for the reinvigoration of Star Tours.

• Old Timer

It has a lot of potential to use something of a continuing saga after episode 6.

Hopefully Iger,Jobs and Lassiter can get Disney out of its "time warp" like the way WDW is stuck in the 70's.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by symbolic
    I think this is a cool idea. However, the problem that might arise is that one film may be better than all the others and then there'd be a huge long wait for that one ride film. Because you know Disney nerds like me would find out which one is best, longest, most fun, etc.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    I think this is a cool idea. However, the problem that might arise is that one film may be better than all the others and then there'd be a huge long wait for that one ride film. Because you know Disney nerds like me would find out which one is best, longest, most fun, etc.
    The solution? Random generation. Just like when Clue was in movie theaters -- that movie had 3 random endings and nobody knew which one they'd get until the end.

I'm sure it would be much easier with digital projection than it was way back then. Just sync up REX to the random video and it should work right. Hopefully though, it doesn't go out of Sync and REX starts describing the cold, snowy dunes of Hoth when what you're looking at the hot, sandy dunes of Tatooine.
    -Tim

• e komo mai

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    The solution? Random generation. Just like when Clue was in movie theaters -- that movie had 3 random endings and nobody knew which one they'd get until the end.
    Can you imagine if that were the case?
    'Excuse me, you there Cast Member, my family and I have driven halfway across the country to come to Disneyland and my son wants to go to Hoth. But everytime we ride this ride, we go to Degobah. My son hates Degobah. Can you arrange it that we go to Hoth? We're not standing in that line again. Did I mention I am a Annual Passholder?'

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    Can you imagine if that were the case?
    'Excuse me, you there Cast Member, my family and I have driven halfway across the country to come to Disneyland and my son wants to go to Hoth. But everytime we ride this ride, we go to Degobah. My son hates Degobah. Can you arrange it that we go to Hoth? We're not standing in that line again. Did I mention I am a Annual Passholder?'
    I think it is a possibility but no likely. Right now the Tower of Terror in WDW which has a random drop sequence. Before that it had four different sequences. I have to say no one was disappointed that they did not get their favorite. I see the above disappointed which an extremely small number of people might have only spurring them on to ride it again, precisely the reason for the random generation.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by mrmainstreet
    It would be awesome, but honestly- its been a trillion years since the ride has been old. If something was going to happen, it would have.
    Lucas and Eisner got along as about as well as Jobs and Eisner did. I think that the odds are much better now.

I have a sneaking suspicion that if they updated Star Tours, we'd be wishing for the old one back.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast