• FastPass n00b

Mickey Mouse's 75th Birthday

I remember back in 1988 they threw a pretty big celebration for Mickey's 60th birthday. While someone's 60th birthday might not be a big milestone, the 75th is a huge milestone. So I calculated it out and Mickey Mouse would be 75 in 2003. Here we are in 2006 and for the life of me I can't remember even hearing a mention of Mickey's 75th at Disneyland in 2003. It seems to me that if they threw a huge bash for his birthday at 60, they should do something incredible at 75.

In 1988, there were only 3 Disney parks in the entire world and Disney didn't even have a contract with Pixar yet. It seems to me that Disney is more obsessed today with their global parks and Buzz Lightyear tie-ins than the one character Walt Disney himself told the company, in no uncertain terms, to never forget. I personally am sick of Buzz Lightyear, the character is so one dimensional (no pun intended) and relies on catchphrases and marketing. The Fab Four have been around for many decades because they have personalities, and Disney seems to be brushing them aside for Pixar's characters which I think is very wrong.

As for Mickey, there's always 2028 when he'll celebrate his 100th birthday, but will Lasseter and Jobs be around by then? The 100th birthday celebration of Walt Disney was quite amusing (in a tragic irony kind of way)...Walt Disney World, a park that Walt never even saw, got all of the attention while the one park in the world that he personally supervised, built and lived in was suffering from neglect. So hopefully Disney will have its act together for Mickey's 100th birthday.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Re: Mickey Mouse's 75th Birthday

They didn't do much. They had some merchandise but not much more.
    Mike

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Didn't they do those Mickey statues that were painted by different artists for his 75th Birthday? I remember they decorated one to be like Janet Jackson in one of her old songs from the 90's or 80's where she's wearing all black -- Rythm Nation and after the whole Super Bowl fiasco they removed that Mickey Mouse from view...here is what I found through Google...
    http://www.dcpages.com/gallery/view_...th-Anniversary

• My life is better with DL

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    Didn't they do those Mickey statues that were painted by different artists for his 75th Birthday? I remember they decorated one to be like Janet Jackson in one of her old songs from the 90's or 80's where she's wearing all black -- Rythm Nation and after the whole Super Bowl fiasco they removed that Mickey Mouse from view...here is what I found through Google...
    http://www.dcpages.com/gallery/view_...th-Anniversary
    Yeah,they had them all throughout DCA because i have a few pictures with them. They were EVERYWHERE and the coolest one had Walt Disney's face on it. But that was last January, 2005. So would they have still been up? I am not 100% positive they were for the 75th Birthday

^This is the life!

They were at the entrance to MK at WDW before they made the trip out to DCA. I personally thought they were part of the 100 years celebration but who knows.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by jgmklmhem
    They were at the entrance to MK at WDW before they made the trip out to DCA. I personally thought they were part of the 100 years celebration but who knows.
    I was just taking a guess since it mentions 75th Anniversary on it. And by these pictures I found on this link, it shows it was also somewhere outside of WDW and DCA.

• Unrepentant 60's Liberal

My wife and I went to DLR on Mickey's 75th. We got a button when entering the park. That was it. We were at least hoping for a birthday cake. There was, I believe, some sort of small private event in Toontown.

• Senior Minion

The Mickey Statues also traveled to different Disney locations around the U.S as well non-disney events.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Give Peace a Chance

I got a 75 years with Mickey fleece jacket & t-shirt. A few pins, and the afore mentioned button that was handed out. DCA had an area back in Hollywood backlot where you could have your picture taken with with Mickey and have punch and popcorn. There was also a limited edition coat that I got for DH.That was also the year they brought out the cute set of Christmas Ornaments of Mickey through the years. (got those ~ Mickey's my hero ) I don't think they're available any longer.
    ~ MickeysGirl șoș
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! șoș