Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Re: An upgrade for Harold?

I have the answer in a book somewhere, but this is a common misconception. The first tubular steel roller coaster was somewhere in France. When I get back home from this trip, I will give the book title, and try to scan a picture of the ride.

The second tubular steel coaster is NOT Space in WDW. I am not sure what it is, but the mine train coaster at six flags over texas was built in 1966, and Space Mountain was built in 1975 (I think)

Quote Originally Posted by jawnjarvis
    The Matterhorn was the first "Rollercoaster" in Disneyland. AND if i'm not mistaken, was the first "Rollercoaster" EVER to be on a steel tubular track.

The Second rollercoaster ever to be on a steel tubular track would be Space Mountain in WDW. Disneyland's was such a huge hit they built the same style ride, placed it in a building and called it "space mountain". You sit the same in a two car train and it even has two interweaving tracks. Space Mountain in WDW is just as "bumpy". The same things could be fixed. It does have "better" banked curves though.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by FLtoCali
    Honestly, I LOVE MAtterhorn, especially since its one of those rides that growing up near WDW I only ever heard about and finally got to know and love when I moved to LA. But I think it's nearing time for a full redo. Don't blast me, I am not talking a reconceptualization with loops and stuff, just a Space Mountain-like rebuild to make it fast, smooth and way cool (updated effects) That would include a new Harold I think.
    As the FIRST Steel Tube Track Roller Coaster ® in the Amusement Industry The Matterhorn should NEVER be changed. Refurbish the track, smooth out the run, sure, I'm right there with on that one. Update the funky Yeti Stuff (personally I long for the old days of the tram cars flying though a fugly empty mountain...but that's just me)? Sure, it's already there but actually change an inch of the run? No, PLEASE.

It's one of the few exceptions in the park to the rule "not all change is bad." That sucker almost belongs in the Smithsonian it's such a national treasure. If you want to be thrown around faster, higher or harder ask 'em to build a new coaster before you start asking 'em to change one of the most iconic Roller Coasters on the planet.

Just my humble opinion, and we all know what those are worth on the open market

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian
    I have the answer in a book somewhere, but this is a common misconception. The first tubular steel roller coaster was somewhere in France. When I get back home from this trip, I will give the book title, and try to scan a picture of the ride.

You sure?

The ride was opened in 1959 as one of six new major attractions for Tomorrowland. In the 1970s, it was officially made a Fantasyland attraction. It is recognized as the first tubular steel roller coaster in the world, and was built by coaster builder Arrow Dynamics and WED Imagineering.

In 1978, the Matterhorn received a major refurbishment. Upgrades included Audio-Animatronic yetis, or Abominable Snowmen, which have been nicknamed Harold; an ice crystal cavern at the top of the lift hill; the caves at the beginning of the downhill run were given an icy, crystal blue look; the bobsleds were completely changed and instead of being 1 car were now 2 cars joined, which basically doubled the attraction's capacity.
    The track design of the attraction appears very similar to that of the Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain. However, the track designs are quite different from each other even though both attractions feature bobsled like trains. When Space Mountain appeared at Disneyland, it was built with just one track and with a completely different design, to fit the smaller confines of the Californian Tomorrowland.

• Grand Opening: June 14, 1959
    • Designers: WED Enterprises, Arrow Dynamics
    • Mountain Height: 147'
    • Track Height: 80'
    • Length: A) 2,037' B) 2,134'
    • Scale to real Matterhorn: 1/100th
    • Time: A) 2:07 B) 2:26
    • Top Speed: 18 mph; 16 feet per second
    • Height Requirement: 35"
    • Required Ticket: "E"
    • Ride System: Roller Coaster
    Source: Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matterhorn_Bobsleds