Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Ursus H. Bear, ESQ

If Walt were still alive and had....

Taken out the Tiki Room, and put in a Restaurant.

Or overlayed Pirates with the Movie figures like they are doing right now...

Or realized the potential of the new CGI technology and changed the feature animation department to start making CGI features films instead of hand drawn ones...

Or taken out your favorite ride to put in something you didnt like as much.

Would anyone be upset by this?

If it was Walts decision does that make it a better one?

Personally, I think Walt was all about change and updating, he tore out things to put in better things, and I think he would have moved over to CGI Features a LONG time ago because he would have seen the potential of a crowd pleasing artform (especially in the wake of some failed hand drawn films).

Also, he just liked to explore new things (ie Audio animatronics, Theme parks...Stuff that people hand'nt heard of)

I think its silly to get upset about change, because thats exactly what Walt was about.

What do you think?
    "Trap Toad will they? HA HA NEVER!"

"Get Hip, Don't get the Dip!"

Re: If Walt were still alive and had....

Interesting question, but there are a few errors in your logic...

Quote Originally Posted by s8ntmark
    I think its silly to get upset about change, because thats exactly what Walt was about.
    Taken out the Tiki Room, and put in a Restaurant.

It's not silly if the changes are not good, which is what these examples are. If Walt made these decisions, I'd be upset. But I DOUBT he would do these things.

Granted, people on this forum are hyper sensitive in comparison to the general public. I don't believe for a second, however, that Walt would have run DL as it's been run the last 15 years.

Also, he just liked to explore new things (ie Audio animatronics, Theme parks...Stuff that people hand'nt heard of)
    What new things has the people who run DL explored in a LONG time? That's the problem. Pooh replaces something unique with technology from many many years ago. Splash Mt. - how about the Log Ride at Knott's. They did it with Indy, but had outside help...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by socal05
    Granted, people on this forum are hyper sensitive in comparison to the general public. I don't believe for a second, however, that Walt would have run DL as it's been run the last 15 years.
    Like, creating a gigantic monster of a pricing scheme.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Resident DL'er

I feel that by now, Walt would have greatly updated/replaced rides like IaSW, HM, Pirates, and many of the dark rides that have been there for 30-50 years now. Sure these rides are still great, but they aren't up to par with today's technologies. So again, by now, I strongly feel that Walt would have replaced or severely updated all of them.

It's really a testament to the quality of work done in the 50s-60s that these rides can still entertain so well this many decades later. But in today's world of expansive technological possibilities, the standards should be far higher than even what classics like Pirates and HM bring to the table in 2006.
    Last edited by scorsese; 02-17-2006 at 03:32 PM.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

What do you think?
    I think that walt would be 105 years old. With the things he said in the past, he would rather have us look where we are going and not where we have been.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

"Taken out the Tiki Room, and put in a Restaurant. " s8ntmark posting

Well It Walt Disney time the Tiki Room was going be a Restaurant and Shows.
    the blue prints for the building show it is a "restaurant and show."

That why there are restroom and the chairs in the show room area.

Walt Drop the Restaurant idea and add One bird to the show.
    the bird who starts the show. He was going be on the outside to bring the people in.

the center is made to open and have napken and forks, knife,
    Spoon and cups.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Minion

I think Walt would have changed a lot about Disneyland. He would have tried to hit a HOME RUN every time! Second best was not Walt. So we would have not seen some of the stuff we saw. DCA would have much more of a personal touch instead of laying it out the way they did. Maybe the Tower of Terror would have looked a whole lot different than its clone in Florida. In the last 40 years with out Walt did they live up to his perfection? Was EPCOT ever what he wanted??? Would Walt Had done DCA?? I can not believe its almost been 40 years since his death....wow.
    Jason

• Vehicle rotating backward

Except Walt spent his life battling people who weren't interested in long-term investments because they want their stock to go up right NOW. Nobody else in the business after Walt has been willing to face down the investors like that.

It's why this Iger/Lasseter renaissance won't last very long. They'll do just enough to get the message out that they're doing better, and then people who want to reap windfall profits tomorrow will demand they do nothing more, because they can milk what little they have done for all it's worth.

• The one, the only...

I agree that Walt would have changed and improved many of the rides and shows. He would not have let them just be. In fact, I think that the Tiki room would have been updated and changed. I also believe that what exactly would have happened will never be known.

I also know that it is true what MickeyMania said. There is a greater pressure for companies to look short term and milk every dime out of every project. Of course, it is also true that CEO's earn HUGE amounts of money today. They have to supply those hundreds of millions a year some way.

Eisner, and now Iger, earn bonuses annually bigger than their salary. When did most of us ever get a bonus like that?

Walt in his lifetime did not earn what Iger earns in one year. He would have put any extra income back into Disneyland.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Minion

Walt was all about Synergy. Disneyland was basically a vehicle for Walt to promote his films and vice versa. The Pirates overlay would have happened a long time ago.

Or realized the potential of the new CGI technology and changed the feature animation department to start making CGI features films instead of hand drawn ones...
    I don't think Walt would have totally ditched traditional animation. the problem with the current Disney is that they've forgotten how important story is. A great story will sell no matter what format is used to create it. Walt would have used all of animation's resources together.
    Or taken out your favorite ride to put in something you didnt like as much.

I agree. It's sad that some of his most devout fans have forgotten that.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by socal05
    It's not silly if the changes are not good, which is what these examples are. If Walt made these decisions, I'd be upset. But I DOUBT he would do these things.
    WHOAH, you rode the new Pirates already? How was it?

We should let the overlay be started on before we bash it...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redsix
    I think Walt would have changed a lot about Disneyland. He would have tried to hit a HOME RUN every time! Second best was not Walt. So we would have not seen some of the stuff we saw. DCA would have much more of a personal touch instead of laying it out the way they did. Maybe the Tower of Terror would have looked a whole lot different than its clone in Florida. In the last 40 years with out Walt did they live up to his perfection? Was EPCOT ever what he wanted??? Would Walt Had done DCA?? I can not believe its almost been 40 years since his death....wow.

Good post! DCA would have broken his heart. Walt was first and foremost a great STORY TELLER! He was so EXCITED to lay out the story for pirates as seen on the POC DVD. There's no way in the world he would have approved a movie based on the ride (even though it made...um... 600 million dollars.) Sequels would have been baned. According to Walt
    "You can't beat pigs with pigs." The key word there is "beat." He was always trying to look for something better, something NEW. THIS concept is what has been missing from the boardroom and from the imagineers. What we have had for the past 15 years or so has been "What is cheap and what will make us the greatest amount of money."

As for CGI, I think Walt would have encorporated it into traditional 2D animation, but I don't think he would have dropped 2D entirely. If he had gone with CGI, you can bet that movies would not have made it to the screen until they looked incredible. I still say the STORY is what makes animated features great. Movies like "Home on the Range" would never have made it out the door.

Finally, there is no way on God's green earth that Walt would have closed down studios and shipped animation jobs over seas.

• Huh?

You know....

If Walt were alive today and doing these changes, we'd probably say that 105 is a bit too old for him to be working there -- he's getting old and senile and it's time for him to step down and let his successor take over the biz.

Besides, if he were to do CGI instead, I'm sure the character design would've looked a LOT different. As much as he liked change, he did have a sense of conformity to it in order for the Disney style to be preserved and recognizable.
    -Tim

• Animatronic

Walt simply found the best people and let them make the best product. With the purchase of Pixer, perhaps talented people will want to work at Disney again and perhaps they will allowed to do their best. In the end, that's very much what Walt would have done.

Now Walt was a story teller and a futurist, and what would have caught his fancy had he seen the past 40 years is hard to say. Perhaps we would have a Disney movie starring the popular Olsen twins about a pair of clones. Perhaps the Wonderful World of Disney would take us into an idealized future where everyone lives forever and Disneyland adds a Z-Ticket attraction every month. Perhaps EPCOT would have been the Silicon Valley of the East and the largest manuafacturer of robotic servants. Perhaps Walt's enthusiasm, films, and attractions would have spurred the development of alternative fuels and there would be no need for oil or gas today. One can only speculate, but one thing is certain, Walt would be pushing for things to be better.

• Resident DL'er

With the creation of EPCOT to its full and realized potential, there is no doubt that the world as we know it today would be impacted greatly if Walt had lived another 10-20 years. People in general are afraid to take great risks, to be bold and take that important first step. EPCOT would have been that vital first step, and I believe it would have made a universe of difference in community planning and the technological efforts of many major corporations. The EPCOT we currently have in Florida, in my opinion, shouldn't even be titled as such. I have no doubt that Disneyland as well would be a much different place. It's really impossible to predict anything accurately with so many factors involved, but when we're speaking theoretically, like in this thread, we can assume that the Walt that would be making the decisions would be the Walt we have known up until age 65.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast