Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Disneyland of the 50's, 60's, 70's, and beyond

Was Disneyland Better in the those days or today.

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland of the 50's, 60's, 70's, and beyond

I vote for the 60's/70's!

• The one, the only...

It is always hard to compare the past to the present. The past always SEEMS more pleasant since people tend to forget the unpleasant parts and remember only the best.

That having said, there was a different atmosphere when Walt was around and right afterward. That period had a certain magic. Optimism in the future, a definite feeling of quality, dedication to an ideal by cast members and the feeling that something wonderful will open next all characterized the 1960's and 1970's.

Today there are also wonderful things. Now there are many new rides that with innovative technologies which have a magic of their own. These technologies have transformed the firework show into something very special.

What I would like is to combine the best of both worlds. The optimism that there's a great big beautiful tomorrow is right around the corner with the technologies of today. That would be a great park!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I would have to say I'd have loved to see the Disneyland of the early 60s, when Walt was still alive and they were starting figure it out, I mean really figure out the magic, and how so much has stayed through now. Things like the Main Street performers, the lighting of the park...it seems that in the early 60s they "got it" and it hasnt needed to change. I'd have loved to see that.

• Super saucy pixie!

I don't know which is better being that I wasn't alive back then, but it's a question I ask people who were there frequently. Most actually say early 80s. What I wouldn't give to experience Disneyland of the past. It must be amazing for those who have been in each decade.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell
    I don't know which is better being that I wasn't alive back then, but it's a question I ask people who were there frequently. Most actually say early 80s. What I wouldn't give to experience Disneyland of the past. It must be amazing for those who have been in each decade.
    I've come close, Tink, with the first visit I remember being in the very early 60's when I was four or five.

Of course, if I vote for the Disneyland of old, you'll just write it off to the fact that this was the park I grew up in, and worked at, and that, as I like to say, I'm just an old analog guy in a young, digital world.

Having said that, I hold out hope that Disney's new management team can erase some of the mistakes of the past decade or so, and create some new excitement at DL (heck, even the old excitement is still packing the place at 60 bucks a pop, 350 bucks a year, whatever).

And DCA can still be salvaged, although I realize a lot of folks like it just like it is.

Do I prefer the Disneyland of 30 years ago to what I'm seeing now? Sadly, yes. But there is hope for its future for the first time in years.

Walt Disney's dream remains the guideline, but it's been almost 40 years since his death...and I assume he would want the current team to be inspired by his vision and not shackled by it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell
    I don't know which is better being that I wasn't alive back then, but it's a question I ask people who were there frequently. Most actually say early 80s.
    Probably because they had just finished a string of E-rides, one a year, with New Matterhorn in 77, Space in 78, and BTMRR in 79.

However, don't go any farther than summer of 1982, because it goes downhill FAST from that point! Maintenance reached sub-Pressler levels when the company was on the risk of purchase and dismantling by profiteers, and metaphorical blood was being spilled all over Burbank. All this thanks to years of inept leadership that was intent on making sure Disney produced nothing but 100% family entertainment, until Touchstone and then Eisner literally saved it all. Pretty hard to imagine Eisner as a savior, but he was pretty smart in the day.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Probably because they had just finished a string of E-rides, one a year, with New Matterhorn in 77, Space in 78, and BTMRR in 79.

However, don't go any farther than summer of 1982, because it goes downhill FAST from that point! Maintenance reached sub-Pressler levels when the company was on the risk of purchase and dismantling by profiteers, and metaphorical blood was being spilled all over Burbank. All this thanks to years of inept leadership that was intent on making sure Disney produced nothing but 100% family entertainment, until Touchstone and then Eisner literally saved it all. Pretty hard to imagine Eisner as a savior, but he was pretty smart in the day.
    Mickey, you made many excellent points. Just thought I'd point out, for the record, that Space opened in '77 and the refurbished Matterhorn in 78. A fine point, I realize. But i still have a few brain cells and memory chips workin...(LOL)
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Been through all of them. In fact I have some home movies from the late 50s, a very different place. I think maybe the 70s or early 80s were best. Some of my favorite Yesterland attractions were from then. Voyage Through Inner Space, AMerica Sings, Carousel Of Progress, Motorboats. Not to mention the good old Tuna Boat.
    Mike

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mcow1
    Been through all of them. In fact I have some home movies from the late 50s, a very different place. I think maybe the 70s or early 80s were best. Some of my favorite Yesterland attractions were from then. Voyage Through Inner Space, AMerica Sings, Carousel Of Progress, Motorboats. Not to mention the good old Tuna Boat.
    What's interesting is, that when I worked there in that 70's period, people felt like the park had been abandoned by the company (then Walt Disney Productions) basically in favor of WDW.
    And there was justifiable fear about what was going on (or not going on) at the studio.
    The opening of SM in 77 did a lot to improve employee and guest morale as well, since along with being a great attraction, it seemed to be a sign that things weren't dying there after all back then.
    At least, that's how I remember it.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry
    What's interesting is, that when I worked there in that 70's period, people felt like the park had been abandoned by the company (then Walt Disney Productions) basically in favor of WDW.
    And there was justifiable fear about what was going on (or not going on) at the studio.
    The opening of SM in 77 did a lot to improve employee and guest morale as well, since along with being a great attraction, it seemed to be a sign that things weren't dying there after all back then.
    At least, that's how I remember it.
    First, great avatar. Second, yes I think it was more or less abandoned about then. But sometimes no change is good. Especially, IMHO, with DLs track record for change. IE, Country Bears for Pooh, Mile Long bar for whatever that is now.
    Mike

Angry Re: Disneyland of the 50's, 60's, 70's, and beyond

Personaly I think Disneyland was at its height in the mid to late 70's.
    All you have to do is look at the gutted list vs. the added list

America Sings (replaced by Innoventions)
    America the Beautifull (First replaced by a que then Buzz)
    Skyway (replaced by air)
    Motor boat Cruise (replaced by sand bags)
    Fantasyland Autopia (merged with Tom Autopia)
    Tahitian Terrace (replaced by Aladin something)
    People Mover (replaced by Rocket Rods then leaves)
    Rocket Jets (replaced by space junk and turned into Dumbo 2 and artery blockage for Tland)
    House of the Future (replaced by neptunes slippery sidewalk adventure)
    Country Bear Jamboree (replaced by Poohs Honey Pot)
    Swiss Family Tree house (replaced by Tarzan)

Now for some possible upside additions

Adventure thru Inner Space (replaced by Star Tours which is now just a bumpy movey and needs to be replaced or changed)
    Haunted Mansions side yard and Bear Country's restrooms (replaced by Splash Mountain)
    Mine Train thru Natures Wonderland (replaced by "the widow maker")
    Space Mountian (replaced by .... Space Mountain)
    Back lot storage (replace by Indiana Jones) allthough this ride make me a little queezy

Jury still out

Subs (replaced by Nemo)

• Banned User

I always hear the 80's were the best times. By this era, Disneyland had a solid gold reputation and was really something everybody loved. I also hear it reached its finest point of quality and was a gold landmark. Then it headed into the 90's and everything changed not just for Disneyland, but all the theme parks. Things would never be the same.

Personally, I would have loved to been around in the late 70's when the world started seeing things like Big Thunder and Space Mountain. What a great time to see these Disneyland rides come to life.

I love the Disneyland of today, but I just wish it was something even more special to all of us and not just an Annual Pass away. I am devastated to see how Disneyland has become something so common like a visit to the mall. Annual Passes, in my opinion, have made it so less magical and meanigful to a lot of people. I don't see that "I'm going to Disneyland!" excitement anymore because "if we don't see it today, we'll be back next Friday." Another thing I just can't grow fond of these days, is the "cartoonization" of everything. We have all heard the arguments before. I just don't like how characters(mainly Pixar ones) are invading everything and attractions are dumbing down to cheap character overlays. There is hardly anything to be found that is educational and insipring to us. Just a bunch of Pixar characters. We never see attractions that look to the future and show us a wonderous future lies ahead...just a big video game.

But I could go on about that forever. I get confused with how this works so I may be wrong.

1955-65 for me because America and Americans were just better then. The so called "greatest generation" that suffered through the depression and won WWII, built the park in part as a reflection of their uniquely American values of the past and present, and hopes for the future. Their kids ate it up. But the greatest generations' downfall was by their own design. In an effort to shelter their kids from what they had to endure, those same coonskin capped prepubescent boomers (the most spoiled generation), in only a few short years rewarded their parents efforts by becoming the counter culture, hippy dippy, ungrateful 60's and 70s whining teens which by and large run the company and the country today. Even more frightening is that they are parents and grandparents now.

• Banned User

Disneyland was at its peak between the mid 80s - early 90s. Ironically that was just before Paul Pressler took over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast