Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    138

    If you could open a new theme park for DL what would it be?

    So, if you could open a new theme park for DL what would it be?

  2. #2

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    35
    Disney's World Adventure.

    Take all the best of World Showcase in Epcot, the restaurants, the stores, and the immersive environments, then add a bit more Disney character touch and one E ticket ride themed to each participating country, with smaller D, C and B tickets mixed in. Limit the movie-based attractions, and don't be afraid to Disnify the rides in the pavilions: Lion King in Africa, Hunchback in France, Mulan in China, etc. Play to your strengths.

    Disneyland is the best of America, so the perfect counterpoint in Anaheim would be the best of the rest of the world. Something more extensive than the original planned World Showcase section of Westcot, with more national individuality than the "regional" pavilions planned for that park.

    Why not just ask for Westcot, you might ask? Because I don't think Disney has it in them to maintain a forward-looking land of the future anymore. Focus on the timeless World Showcase theme, but make it fun for families, and you have a perpetual winner.

  3. #3

    • șoș Tom șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Posts
    3,600
    Quote Originally Posted by crankypage
    Disney's World Adventure.

    Take all the best of World Showcase in Epcot, the restaurants, the stores, and the immersive environments, then add a bit more Disney character touch and one E ticket ride themed to each participating country, with smaller D, C and B tickets mixed in. Limit the movie-based attractions, and don't be afraid to Disnify the rides in the pavilions: Lion King in Africa, Hunchback in France, Mulan in China, etc. Play to your strengths.

    Disneyland is the best of America, so the perfect counterpoint in Anaheim would be the best of the rest of the world. Something more extensive than the original planned World Showcase section of Westcot, with more national individuality than the "regional" pavilions planned for that park.

    Why not just ask for Westcot, you might ask? Because I don't think Disney has it in them to maintain a forward-looking land of the future anymore. Focus on the timeless World Showcase theme, but make it fun for families, and you have a perpetual winner.
    Mod Hotter and I have been discussing this possibility in a seperate thread http://www.micechat.com/showthread.p...highlight=gate

    His idea, which I support- is to focus less on countries but on myths and legends. Sort of a showcase of the worlds love for oral tradition, which inspired many of the Disney classics. Check it out, I created a few visuals.
    I have another idea but I am still working it out, I will share it when I can figure out how to best articulate it.







  4. #4

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    Mod Hotter and I have been discussing this possibility in a seperate thread http://www.micechat.com/showthread.p...highlight=gate

    His idea, which I support- is to focus less on countries but on myths and legends. Sort of a showcase of the worlds love for oral tradition, which inspired many of the Disney classics. Check it out, I created a few visuals.
    I have another idea but I am still working it out, I will share it when I can figure out how to best articulate it.
    I like that thread a lot - and that's a neat idea for a park. My major issue would be that it's not Disney enough! Every time they open a park that's going to be hip, or less "Mickey Mouse", they have to backtrack and shoehorn the characters in, because that's what the public wants from Disney. (See: EPCOT, DCA, DAK.) I think you have to design the classic Disney characters in right from the start to have a winning park. That's the Walt Disney Company's strength!

    ModHatter is thinking more about avoiding Disney characters...avoiding Hercules, or the Sword in the Stone. I respectfully disagree, and think that a successful new Disney park has to embrace the Disney legacy, not avoid it.

  5. #5

    • șoș Tom șoș
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Carlsbad
    Posts
    3,600
    Quote Originally Posted by crankypage
    I like that thread a lot - and that's a neat idea for a park. My major issue would be that it's not Disney enough! Every time they open a park that's going to be hip, or less "Mickey Mouse", they have to backtrack and shoehorn the characters in, because that's what the public wants from Disney. (See: EPCOT, DCA, DAK.) I think you have to design the classic Disney characters in right from the start to have a winning park. That's the Walt Disney Company's strength!

    ModHatter is thinking more about avoiding Disney characters...avoiding Hercules, or the Sword in the Stone. I respectfully disagree, and think that a successful new Disney park has to embrace the Disney legacy, not avoid it.
    You have strong points but aren't you just creating Disneyland 2.0 by gunning for the characters from the start. My suggestion is to find a balance, seek C-class dark rides for the kids like Pooh, Mr. Toads Buzz, D-class immersive dark rides for all ages that focus on more realistic myth in the same vain as POTC or HM. Top them off with a series of adventurous new E-tickets like water coasters in the Viking area or a Carpet Ride in Persia or Pyrmid ride, etc...Then fill in the basic area with shows an attractions. Its important not to completly pander to the classic animation department, it needs to have a reason for more than kids to come, adults should want to see this because it respects them and the legends we love.







  6. #6

    • no flash photography...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my own little world..
    Posts
    13,287
    I would ooen a villians park....ok maybe just in part of the park...but it would be a dark creepy land and for halloween it would go all out with decorations and entertainment.

    oh, and one ride would be a coaster type, but it would go fast and slow in parts andthen shoot off in other parts. The premise would be the fight to rescue sleeping buaty...complete with a huge dragon that breathes fire. The coaster woule slow at this point and then shoot fast past it..

  7. #7

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,889
    I've often said it needs to be an Epcot/DisneySeas hybrid park

    do a word showcase with an island in the middle

    on that island you would have a aqua colored future sphere (perhaps with a roller coaster based on TCP/IP packets on the internet ) it could also have Stormchasers and eventualy another science based ride (basicaly discovery island) at night the Aquasphere could have a glob projection on it to show all the contenats and they could all spin around it like the earth is rotating

    the world showcase would steal ideas from DisneySea in that rather then using educational movies and pravilian type strucutres it would only feature country's and locations that have exciting attractions, it would have Sinbad and Maelstrom to pin down darkride elements for the park (both of these being successes in their own parks) it would of course have plenty of leeway for a Lady and the Tramp themed ride along with Mulan and maybe Hercules

    eventualy it could even expand out and recieve it's own Expedition Everest ride

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Within 78 miles of WDW...
    Posts
    8,864
    Disney's Magical Mountain.. Home to the Best World Class Coasters in the World.. all themed and beautifully done.. and this time each ride is open every day....

    The centerpice would be a Volcano.... what wouldn't be anything like Volcano at Paramount's Kings dominion.... I Swear (*hides Volcano's blueprints*)

  9. #9

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Back in California BABY!
    Posts
    6,593
    I agree with the Villains park. A darker, creepier, but really beautiful and fantastical place. Not mega scary, just creepy. Like Disneyland is the old Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and the new villains park is the new version with Johnny Depp. That kind of difference. Maybe Tim Burton could even sign on to design some of the attractions and architecture!
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson



  10. #10

    • Vehicle rotating backward
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    4,623
    Basically a Yesterland of sorts. But rather than just try and be retro by dragging a bunch of rides out of mothballs, you'd get the quality rides, updated for today's technology and safety.

    Think of what Adventures Thru Inner Space would look like if it were made today. Of course, I guess today it would look rather cheap, but think OLC budgets here, not Disney budgets. Heh.

  11. #11

    • Metal Head
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    159
    Metal Land.....\m/ :devil: \m/

    Judas Priest area-- Gods of Metal Land
    Attractions:
    Screaming for Vengeance- Coaster
    Riding on the Wind-Moving theatre attraction simulating riding a Harley cross country
    Turbo Lover--Drag race style mini car ride
    Green Manalishi-Horror attraction

    Black Sabbath area--Sabbath Bloody Sabbath land
    Attractions:
    Mob Rules-- Bumper cars
    War Pigs--Nerf Ball battleground
    Supernaut-- Space based dark ride
    Am I going Insane-tea cup style ride with extra spinning power
    Tomorrows Dream...Science and discovery area
    Neon Knights-Futuristic meets medieval/Gothic Castle with Labyrinthian Dungeons to explore

    Iron Maiden Area--Eddie land
    Attractions:
    Run to the Hills--Outdoor, midwestern themed exploration
    Flight of Icarus--Theatrical ride simulating Icarus' flight to the sun
    2 Minutes to Midnight-- Dogfighter interactive simulation
    Number of The Beast--Dark ride journey through demonic realms

    Newer Metal area---Heirs to Metal Land
    Attractions:
    Mountain Song-- Water Ride based on Janes addiction song. begining with the worlds longest water fall as Perry belts out" COMING DOWN THE MOUNTAIN"
    The Sickness--Based on Disturbed song. The most twisted violent coaster possible without causing harm. Guaranteed to make anyone dizzy
    Rattle Head--Based on Megadeth song. Jerky tour bus dark ride

    Entrance with shops and restaurants--Sunset Strip
    resplendant with simulated winos, wanna be metal heads,street entertainers and really bad food IE pizza, burgers,am/pm hot dogs
    How much longer will it take
    For the world to see.
    We should learn to live
    And simply let it be.
    Bloodstone, bloodstone.

  12. #12

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    You have strong points but aren't you just creating Disneyland 2.0 by gunning for the characters from the start.
    Yes Yes Yes! What could be better than Disneyland 2.0?

    Seriously, I understand your point, but I think you need to draw people in with pre-sold attractions, then expand to novel ideas. A Disney park with no Disney attractions is a tough sell.

    Every time I walk around World Showcase in Florida and see them trying to appeal to kids with stampable "passports," I wish there was more appeal for all ages in that park. That largely means Disney characters. Homer Simpson said it best: "It's even boring to fly over!"

    Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    My suggestion is to find a balance, seek C-class dark rides for the kids like Pooh, Mr. Toads Buzz, D-class immersive dark rides for all ages that focus on more realistic myth in the same vain as POTC or HM. Top them off with a series of adventurous new E-tickets like water coasters in the Viking area or a Carpet Ride in Persia or Pyrmid ride, etc...Then fill in the basic area with shows an attractions. Its important not to completly pander to the classic animation department, it needs to have a reason for more than kids to come, adults should want to see this because it respects them and the legends we love.
    Yikes! POTC and HM are D-tickets now? I largely agree with your other sentiments, though. I'll give you an example: when I read about DisneySea the ride that most interests me is Sinbad. Stormrider - Eh, I've been on simulators. Journey to the Center of the Earth- looks like Indiana Jones crossed with Test Track. But Sinbad is a chance to see what Disney can do in the 21 century with an original water-based animatronic story attraction, the kind we all love, and I'd love to see it in person. I'd love to see it cloned elsewhere!

    So, are you studying to be an imagineer? Your ideas are really interesting.

  13. #13

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    74
    I would do a park devoted strictly to movies (but no repeats like POTC or HM). You could have different areas like Animation (maybe relocate Toon Town to this 3rd gate and expand it), Scary Movies (but not too scary), Comedies, etc. Give it between 4 and 6 "lands" with much better names than I've come up with. Imagine a roller coaster-type ride in the comedy area - it wouldn't just be a California Screamin' type of coaster either. It would tie in to a movie or the comedy genre in general. Maybe the main theme for scary movies would be that the whole place looks like Halloween Town, but with rides/shows devoted to scary movies. There could be a real push to keep this park fresh by having it keep up with movies as they're released. When a new movie is released, close the oldest ride in the appropriate area and replace it with something to tie into the new movie.

    Talk about synergy. The whole place would be a marketing gimmick, but I also think that it would work if done properly. The rides would have to be a good mix of A-E tickets (heavy on D tickets, with 4-6 E tickets), and they would have to be well thought out.

  14. #14

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,069
    Well, just to clarify... I think some character tie-ins are going to happen. For instance, rather than have yet ANOTHER Mickey and Minnie meet and greet, you would round up other, less utilized members of the Disney family, that actually fit the theme. Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, Johnny Appleseed, for this particular park. But there's a difference between letting the Disney stable have a presence, and letting them plow into every ride, store, ODV, and every available inch of space.

    Seriously, how many E tickets in ANY of the parks are based on Disney animated characters? The only one I can think of is Splash Mountain -- based on a movie people haven't been able to see in almost 20 years. And up until that time, I'm also hard-pressed to think of any animated characters having any rides outside of Fantasyland

    I don't legitimately think it's a case of giving the people what they want, as it is denying people what they really want and appeasing them with something Disney can deliver cheap.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

    "There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

    "A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

    -- Walt Disney

  15. #15

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,069
    Meanwhile, back to the topic...

    Since I've droned on and on about my ideal third gate, ImagiNations (featuring Figment) and close runner-ups like Land of Legends... I'll start to sketch out my ideas for the elusive Fourth Gate. It actually borrows a bit from Legoland and DMGM, but in a funky way.

    The triky part is the park entrance. You cou
    d have a bypass entrance, but guests wou
    d be encouraged to immediatey board a PeopeMover. But, as we soon discover, this PeopeMover is actuay comprised of revamped AtomMobies. You ride through a modernized ATIS, but as you near the end, you encounter a mafunction. They can't return you to fu size. However, throughout the day, you wi eventuay grow back to fu size, though unti your moecues are stabe, you may shrink and expand throughout the day. Then you exit the ride into something ike the HISTKids play area. All things Bug's Life can migrate to this park. Rides will focus on Tinkerbell's Flight, the Rescuers Swamp Boats, and so on.

    And of course, the further you go into the park, the more you "recover" your size. Maybe you get to meet Darby O'Gill and the Little People face to face. And eventually, you shoot past full-sized and become a giant. and tour an area like Legoland's Miniland. See the house from Mickey and the Beanstock the way the Giant saw it. Just make it all extremely playful and show visitors different ways they can see their world that they don't get to see every day.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

    "There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

    "A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

    -- Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Six Flags to open Qatar theme park in 2012
    By ALIASd in forum Six Flags
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 01:09 PM
  2. Universal Studios to Open Theme Park in South Korea by 2012
    By disneytim in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2007, 10:14 PM
  3. Dickens Theme Park to Open
    By composerboy in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2007, 06:37 PM
  4. Hard Rock to open theme park in Myrtle Beach
    By Mr. Lightyear999 in forum Other Destinations
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 03:32 PM
  5. Disney to Open Shanghai Theme Park in 2012 - Bloomberg, 8/1/05
    By Darkbeer in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 06:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •