• șoș Tom șoș

Pirates of the South Pacific

Been thinking a lot recently about the suggestion that has been made multiple times in this forum to build a sister ride to Pirates but set in the South Pacific...@ DCA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially considering the villian of the third POTC film, Captain Sao Feng (Chow Yun Fat) is part of the SouthEast Dutch India trading company, which had a presense off the coast of California in the Pacific.

I would love a ride that picked up where the 3rd movie left off, a ride about pirates in the pacific, different plot but same basic elements. Built underground, with a loading area queue in or around the Whorf. A true classic E-Ticket. Thoughts?
    Last edited by ah schucks; 02-20-2006 at 10:26 PM.

Re: Pirates of the South Pacific

Your idea was stolen in the past by Cory Doctorow for his book, Down And Out in the Magic Kingdom.

She'd leveraged her success into a deal with the Adventureland ad-hocs to rehab the Pirates of the Caribbean, and their backstage areas were piled high with reference: treasure chests and cutlasses and bowsprits. It was terrifying to walk through; the Pirates was the last ride Walt personally supervised, and we'd thought it was sacrosanct. But Debra had built a Pirates sim in Beijing, based on Chend I Sao, the XIXth century Chinese pirate queen, which was credited with rescuing the Park from obscurity and ruin. The Florida iteration would incorporate the best aspects of its Chinese cousin -- the AI-driven sims that communicated with each other and with the guests, greeting them by name each time they rode and spinning age-appropriate tales of piracy on the high seas; the spectacular fly-through of the aquatic necropolis of rotting junks on the sea-floor; the thrilling pitch and yaw of the sim as it weathered a violent, breath-taking storm -- but with Western themes: wafts of Jamaican pepper sauce crackling through the air; liquid Afro-Caribbean accents; and swordfights conducted in the manner of the pirates who plied the blue waters of the New World. Identical sims would stack like cordwood in the space currently occupied by the bulky ride-apparatus and dioramas, quintupling capacity and halving load-time.
    It's a free download, and a good book too

It would be interesting attraction and it would be amazing if they used a water coaster track. Similiar to what they have been experimenting with for Hong Kong. I would not mind seeing a similair attraction at DCA but with a diferent theme that does not revolve around pirates.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo
    It would be interesting attraction and it would be amazing if they used a water coaster track. Similiar to what they have been experimenting with for Hong Kong.
    When I began reading this thread, I immediately thought of Hong Kong. While I haven't been there, and won't for a few months yet, I think that every park needs to have its own unique 'something'. Given that HKD is yet to build a POTC, it would be a perfect opportunity to completely remodel the ride with a whole lot of different features, rather than simply 'reinventing the wheel' as it were.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

It'd be cool...but I'd still prefer to see DCA try to expand the west/northwest feel. Why do another Pirate ride...why not try WRE and start a new franchise maybe?

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    It'd be cool...but I'd still prefer to see DCA try to expand the west/northwest feel. Why do another Pirate ride...why not try WRE and start a new franchise maybe?
    I suppose I just love POTC sooo much I would love to see another ride on that scale in DCA as a way to bring in an audience...imagine the promos

"Come see the ride that picks up where the last POTC movie leaves off...
    Come ride the unique water coaster- Pirates of the South Pacific"

If that isn't a bankable ride to bring in increased attendence to DCA, I don't know what is!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Although I love POTC, I think that the only way that DCA is going to stand on its own is for the park to become forward thinking and make and develop rides and attractions that can set itself apart from DL. Disney took on quite a challenge building a park right across from the original and hoping that it could fare by comparison. With that said, and the fact that I'm not trying to spin this into a DCA lovers/haters thread, I feel that in the best interest of DCA they would be best to cut the threads and make rides that are unique onto itself. Spinning of POTC into DCA would only spark more debate about how DCA cannot stand on its own.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by DLandFansAZ
    Although I love POTC, I think that the only way that DCA is going to stand on its own is for the park to become forward thinking and make and develop rides and attractions that can set itself apart from DL. Disney took on quite a challenge building a park right across from the original and hoping that it could fare by comparison. With that said, and the fact that I'm not trying to spin this into a DCA lovers/haters thread, I feel that in the best interest of DCA they would be best to cut the threads and make rides that are unique onto itself. Spinning of POTC into DCA would only spark more debate about how DCA cannot stand on its own.
    Agreed.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by woxel1
    Your idea was stolen in the past by Cory Doctorow for his book, Down And Out in the Magic Kingdom.

It's a free download, and a good book too
    It's a fun, great book. Well worth your time to read.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

"THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A DAAAAAAAAAAME....NOTHING IN THE WORLD!
    THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN NAAAAAME THAT IS... AAAAAAAAAA......."

"SHUT UP! I TOLD YOU NO SINGING!"

"EVERYONE RUN! HE'S GOT THE WHIP!"
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 02-22-2006 at 01:53 PM.

• What have I done?

I say we go for the Western River Expedition idea!

"This guy!"