Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Vehicle rotating backward

Last place you'd want to be in an electrical failure

It's nearing the evening at Disneyland, you're hitting attractions like mad because everyone is either watching shows or going home and even the biggest rides are about a walk-on.

And then suddently, the power goes out. You can't see a dang thing. You may or may not be stuck (depending on if your vehicle is electrical powered or a boat floating along in a flume). And just when the pitch black is about to drive you insane, up come the emergency lights, illuminating everything, showing every prop and device and AA fig for what it really is.

Where in the DLR resort would you be most paniced, whether the fear is just psychological or not, if suddently the music died and the show scenes were replaced with pitch blackness?

Since I'm a coward, there's too many scenes like this for me that would be most unfortunate, but I guess the worst would be IASW, just knowing that all those children dolls are OUT THERE, watching me go by in the darkness, and probably preparing to eat me. It might be easier to tolerate in a full boat, though, just because of the chuckling and crying kids and the fact that we're all still moving. But alone, nightmares!

• Sock Puppet

Re: Last place you'd want to be in an electrical failure

Hmm...that's a good question. Any already dark ride would probably be scary just because it'd get so dark in there with NO lights.

But I think it just might be worse getting stuck upside down on Screamin'. I would not like that.

• More Than Meets The Mouse

I would think Pirates would be creepy in the pitch dark. Knowing that there are skeletons and drunk pirates around you is worse than little children things. Plus, at least on IASW you can kinda push yourself out or be pushed out, you're pretty well stuck on Pirates.

If you were on something like Space Mountain and power goes out, you're kinda stuck. That's of course assuming that they have a failsafe that locks the brakes should the power fail, until power comes back on, but even then you go flying into a brake station thats locked before the coaster gets there... that could hurt. I dont even want to think about what would happen if the brakes didnt have a failsafe... <shudder>
    Disneyland is the right of all sentient beings.

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

Probably on Screamin', I would be worried that the brakes would work and we would carreen into the vehicle in front of us. Ouch.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Braking stations in a power outage are in the same place you get stuck in an E-Stop or anything else. They're not that jolting, except maybe on the Matterhorn because it's really old. But if you've ever been to the message board of ThemeParkReview, they have a ride-through of Space Mountain at HKDL with the lights on that gets E-stopped when the cast realizes that something is wrong. It's not much worse than braking at a stop sign.

I guess there's lots of places in the Fantasyland dark rides that would be amusing/freaky to lose lights.
    "OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!" *click*

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Haunted Mansion - just cause of the spooky factor. I have way too vivid an imagination!

Bear and I have been stuck on Indy before. The last ride of the night, our jeep stopped just before the rope bridge. After 20 minutes when no one came, Bear and a guy from the back seat climbed down and helped everyone out. There was an older lady who was freaking out pretty badly. Those jeeps are a lot higher than I realized! Another jeep was stuck on the bridge but the passengers wouldn't leave, they were sure the ride would restart. We stayed together as a group and headed out. We ran into CMs in who seemed suprised we handled it so well; they said something about an electrical fire. They were taking a ladder to unload jeeps with. It was a real adventure in Adventureland !

Oh man, Snow White's Scary Adventures. If I had to walk through that dungeon part on my own, I'd pee my pants!!!

• Circle of Ancients

Just for the record ... you can't stall in the loop on screamin ... this thing called gravity.

I would have to say Sun Wheel. I'd hate to be trapped up there.

I wouldn't be scared on Pirates because of the atmosphere, but more the fact, that the locks that hold water back are controled by electricity and those would fail and there would be more water in the show room.

Soarin' is my fear-provoking thought, on one hand your stuck ??ft up, or the mechanism could fail and slides back a little too violently...

I once read , I think it was Mouse Tales, that the power went out on Pinocchio, and this little boy was in the scene that says "This is your new home now"..and he went crazy..

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

NOOOOOOOOooooooo......

I'm thinking Tower of Terror!

1) You're at the top, power dies on the way down. How do they stop this thing? What kind of braking system do they use?

2) Not like it's already spooky enough. What happens if the doors don't open?

3) Or if they open on the twilight zone floor...and it's pitch black and you have to crawl out.....at night.....

• Hooterville, USA

In hell on Mr. Toad's. Too hot for me!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Definitely Small World... those dolls are evil I tel lyou... EVIL!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    NOOOOOOOOooooooo......

1) You're at the top, power dies on the way down. How do they stop this thing? What kind of braking system do they use?

3) Or if they open on the twilight zone floor...and it's pitch black and you have to crawl out.....at night.....
    I would guess since it's being pulled down with electricity... you would break pretty well... of course it depends where youi break and how fast they can get the generators.. to get you out.. I wonder is ther an emergency area in the drop shafts?

• Married and happy again!!

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    NOOOOOOOOooooooo......

I believe it is a magnetic braking system. Hmmm That takes electricity to work that could be super bad. I would really hope there a serious back up system for that one. Any one of the coasters in the parks would bother me because the braking systems a totaly computer controlled. No power + no computer = no breakes. I really hope there are serious back ups so things like this are dealt with safely in case of this type of emergancy.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicalover
    I believe it is a magnetic braking system. Hmmm That takes electricity to work that could be super bad. I would really hope there a serious back up system for that one. Any one of the coasters in the parks would bother me because the braking systems a totaly computer controlled. No power + no computer = no breakes. I really hope there are serious back ups so things like this are dealt with safely in case of this type of emergancy.
    dont the ride =vehicles susually have some GPS computer that will activate brakes installed on some vehicles?? (special E-stop?)

otherwise.. i would be they have generators to activate magnetic or pressure breaks as soon as a power failure and a train passes.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast