• Circle of Ancients

Your Favorite Song from "America Sings"

Share your favorite songs and/or renditions of songs from this great Disney musical of Yesterland.

Personally, I really enjoy how "Yankee Doodle" is the song that takes us through the history of American music. But my favorites are, and there are many of them, the following in order of appearance:

1) The Birmingham Jail--- The way that he says "Birmingham" makes me laugh everytime
    2) "Who Shot the Hole in My Sombrero" --- An amazing voice talent that fits the song perfectly
    3) "Ballad of Billy the Kid" --- The voices fit beautifully with the song and the pipe organ in the background.
    4) "Home on the Range" --- I love the coyote in the background. It cracks me up everytime. I get the vision of the coyote chasing after the deer and the antelope, and how that howl just contrasts with "Seldom is heard a discouraging word".
    5) "Down in the Liscensed Saloon"
    6) "Sweet Adeline" --- I love the quartet backing up this "terrible singer"
    7) "She Ain't What She Used to Be" --- The Old Lady's voice makes me laugh and so does her commentary.
    8) "Ta Ra Ra Boom De Ay" --- It's just so uplifting and happy
    9) "Joy to the World" --- It makes the perfect finale song for America to sing
    10) Sam's Final "Yankee Doodle"
    11) The Finale
    12) And of course "Pop goes the Weasle"!

I never got to see this show and was first introduced to its soundtrack through the Disneyland 50th CD collection. It is awesome! Burl Ives (voice of Sam) makes the perfect narrator. I would so much like to see it. I hope that someday Disneyland will resurrect it. So share your favorites and any memories of this classic Disneyland attraction.

• Northwest Disneyphile

Re: Your Favorite Song from "America Sings"

"Who Shot the Hole in My Sombrero" And "Ballad of Billy the Kid" take tha cake! not a big fan Pop goes the Weasle
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do

• Sock Puppet

I love the musical version at the end of the attraction, of Stars and Stripes.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

My Old Kentucky Home (Because I live in Kentucky )

The one about Saddlesore Swanson

Who Shot a Hole in my Sombrero

Ain't Nothin but a Hounddog

Home on the Range

"Ta Ra Ra Boom De Ay"

Ta Ra Ra Boom De Ay, I'll take your pants away,

Why are you standing there? I'll take your underwear.

Damn - I feel really bad, seeing how much you obviously love the music, that you never saw the show. It was always one of my favorites and I'm still upset they removed it, then replaced it with a Circuit City MANY years later. It was such a unique attraction.

And trust me, you'd love it a million times more if you had seen it.

Thanks for bring back memories of each song. I loved them all, but always thought the "transitions" were cool.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Great thread idea! For me, it wasn't "song" it was "songs."

I REEEEEALLY MISS America Sings! I LOVED the barbershop geese, and coincidentally was trying to photoshop them into another setting recently. If someone knows where I can buy the disney concept art for the geese in the barbershop, I'm dying to have it. I checked at Disneyana and at the art display on top of Pirates, and they don't have it.

Here's what I did so far. I still need to mess with colors and lighting and all, and I'm still rather new to photoshop. The geese image is from my palm pilot taken in the 50th display in the opera house. (Someday, I'll have the real thing.)

The big finale' to the Gay 90's section; "Ta Ra Ra Boom De Ay!" That was always my favorite part of the ride, with everyone coming back onstage to sing and the can-can girls flailing away, and the chickens on unicycles rolling out and the bird in the gilded cage gliding back out over the audience. Talk about drama!

Man, that was a great ride.

I can't think of the name of it but it is the one that ends....Lord I wish i was a single girl again.

Pop Goes the Weasel-- heehehehehehe !

Picking a favorite AS song is like a parent picking a favorite child. It cannot justifiably be done.

I really like the Birmingham jail segment, and I annoyed my sister greatly with it when we were waiting in line at WDW last December. I took great care to emmulate his voice, and it drove her nuts. He He! Theres a really good video of America Sings at Visionsfantastic.com. I recommend it to everybody. I watch it all of the time, it really was a great attraction.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Niyxstyx
    Theres a really good video of America Sings at Visionsfantastic.com. I recommend it to everybody. I watch it all of the time, it really was a great attraction.
    Great! I have been looking for a good quality video of it. I wasn't sure if VF would have it, but now I know. Thanks! I will have to go check it out!

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Excellent thread!

"Who Shot that Hole in My Sombrero" cracks me up every time.

I loved, loved that attraction, and can't tell you what joy it was to finally hear the soundtrack again after all those years (same with Carousel of Progress!). I swear I can feel my desk chair sway to the left every time the transition of Yankee Doodle comes up! Magical!

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

I don't remember the ride. I was too young to enjoy it and remember it.