View Poll Results: Tom Sawyer's Island- Should It Stay or Go?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • TSI should remain. Just improve it.

84 84.00%
  • TSI should be removed and the land used for a new attraction

16 16.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

keep the island, there's not really enough room to add a ride out there, but it's a cool place for little kids to just go roam around and hang out for a little while

• LoisAlene

Please bring back Fort Wilderness! TSI isn't the same without it.
    I love going over there to escape some of the sun. There's nothing quite like resting on a rock and watching the Mark Twain chuff by.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

A couple of years ago I attended an industry seminar where Disney's ADA man taught a course (which I was taking). He had commented that they really didn't know what to do with TSI. There are numerous compliance issues, not to mention the liability concerns. The fact that you can still go over there is somewhat amazing. It would be really great if it could be brought back to the way it was originally intended, but with the way things are today, I'm not holding my breath.

• Stay Positive

If they add the guns i thought of a cool idea
    like the shooting gallery by BTMRR, they should surrond the...surrondings with targets, add them to boats, and i would be there all the time
    "Is a man who chooses to be bad better than a man who has the good imposed on him?"
    - Anthony Burgess
    "I think what I want Disneyland to be most of all is a happy place–a place where adults and children can experience together some of the wonders of life, of adventure, and feel better because of it."
    - Walt Disney on Disneyland

I think they should take the shooting gallery from its present location and move it into the fort. Turn the current shooting gallery and trading post into a Myths of the Old West dark ride (Pecos Bill, Paul Bunyon, Johnny Appleseed, etc.). The cars would new-fangled steam-powered automatic stage coaches that go hay-wired and take you on a slightly faster version of Mr. Toad's wild ride, only this time through the mythic West.

• Minion

With Bear and NOS dependent on the scenery of RoA, plus the canoes, Columbia, and Mark Twain all circling TSI, any replacement would have to be very carefully constructed so that it doesn't detract from the theming of that whole side of the park. That's a pretty tall order.

And for what purpose? There's so much unused land in Frontierland, not to mention the sorry state of the Autopia/MBC/Subs area over on the East Side... I think they need to remember that this is a themepark, not an amusement park, and keep TSI as a richly-themed area.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Is the Island Sinking as the urban Legend is told?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    When I was 10 I went to the island. I had a lot of fun...until I realized it really was an island.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Sock Puppet

Wow,,,
    To hear this is wild. From about 4 to about 10,, TSI WAS disneyland,,,, the rest of the park was fun, but just added entertainment to tom sawyer. A giant dirt maze surrounded by water. You could climb, crawl, trawl, all you want. Bucket bridge, shoot old rifles at the canooes. I would fell more comfortable ditching small world and the castle, than to ditch TSI. Just my opinion, but it is the crown jewel of the park..... With a recent annual pass, I'm heading out to the parks more and more. TSI is the fav, for sure. No show, or ride, can touch running full speed on the banks of a river, with caes, and forts lining the path.

• Leave 'em wanting more!

Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    Wow,,,
    To hear this is wild. From about 4 to about 10,, TSI WAS disneyland,,,, the rest of the park was fun, but just added entertainment to tom sawyer. A giant dirt maze surrounded by water. You could climb, crawl, trawl, all you want. Bucket bridge, shoot old rifles at the canooes. I would fell more comfortable ditching small world and the castle, than to ditch TSI. Just my opinion, but it is the crown jewel of the park..... With a recent annual pass, I'm heading out to the parks more and more. TSI is the fav, for sure. No show, or ride, can touch running full speed on the banks of a river, with caes, and forts lining the path.
    I am soooooooo in agreement! I can't believe this is even a topic for debate. It seems like saying, Main Street: Should we improve it or remove it and put in Rockin' Roller Coaster?

Tom Sawyer's Island is part of Mouse-shwitz! It always has and it always should be!
    ~ Tasty, yet morally ambiguous! ~

• Waiting for the stork

there are only 2 choices
    1) it should remain, just improve it.
    2) Should be removed and the land should be used for a new attraction.

How about a 3rd option?
    3) Leave it alone. It's perfect just the way it is.

I vote for #3
    procrastibating

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    ... I think they need to remember that this is a themepark, not an amusement park, and keep TSI as a richly-themed area.
    Well stated! There's a lot more to the magic of Disneyland than rides. Sometimes we'll go to the park and barely ride anything at all but still have a great time just being there. Many of the most magical pleasures are the simple ones. TSI is a perfect example. Here is TOTAL immersion in another place and time. Kids love running around and playing there. Heck, so do I! Yes, do something with Fort Wilderness. Snacks would be nice, but not a shopping mall. A museum of the Old West would be interesting. (I'll bet you could get a lot of stuff cheap from Knotts ) How cool would it be to have a "Blue Bayou Style" restaurant plaza tastefully hidden on the island where you could have a leisurely meal and watch the Mark Twain chuff by?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• My arms are tired!

I agree that TSI should be refurbished, rebuild Ft. Wilderness. I remember my trips to TSI in the mid-1960s, and it was always a favorite spot, I remember peering out of the gun turrets and the pontoon bridge. I loved it! I was so sorry to read that Ft. Wilderness was left to basically crumble and is now used as a backstage area. I hope that the powers that be do restore it. It's a wonderful little spot in DL and I would visit again and enjoy it, even now with creaky knees, only lamenting I won't be able to squeeze into the caves! :-)

Cost of AP= $239
    Trips to DL= 001
    Next Trip to DL= May 6-7, 2007

• My Children's Father

I really think there is room for both .... a ride on the north end of the island and all of the caves, bridges, fort, treehouse, and everything else on the south part. A tunnel connecting the north end to Critter country and a second tunnel connecting the north end to the big thunder ranch area would do the trick ......
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

The island was just refurbished, wasn't it? It looked good the last time I went on it (a couple months back).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast