View Poll Results: Tom Sawyer's Island- Should It Stay or Go?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • TSI should remain. Just improve it.

84 84.00%
  • TSI should be removed and the land used for a new attraction

16 16.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• defm22
    Tom Sawyers Island has to stay!

We just cant loose another classic attraction!

The recent upgrades turned out great and were much needed. It would be great to see "Fort Wilderness" reopen again oneday and make the island complete.

Although we become tired of attractions after years and they seem old to us, I have a 3 year old who has spent many hours repeatedly exploring all the trails, caves, bridges, and the treehouse. He sees this as a new and fun place. I now see it as a new and fun place again through his eyes.

"That My Friend's Is The Magic Of Disneyland"

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

I wish set the cabin on fire again, that was one of the things i liked about Tom Sawyer Island.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I agree... is there nothing better to ponder? Get rid of Tom Sawyer's Island?!?? Good heavens!! Have people in here forgot that Disneyland is a "theme" park? Thats about the most richly themed acreage in the entire resort.

And nothing to do there?? Wow; whoever feels that way really does need to spend time on the Island. Of all Disneyland, TSI is the one place that can truly bring out the forgotten child in us. Just get off the raft, and "forget" you're grown up; don't worry about what anyone else thinks, just let your mind go back... and be a kid.

• CM for 4 years!

I've never seen the "burning cabin"... where exactly on the island can I see it? I'm assuming it's not still "burning"?

I went on the Island during the busy Spring Break season, and I headed to the back of the Island, where the Fort is, and to the side, there's the "original landing point" of the settlers... There's some additional caves back there that I never remembered going into. When I did, I was met in the face with a gigantic cobweb. Come on, management, for all the money spent sweeping vomit up off the floor, you could at least check the saves for spiders.

That Fort section is enough land that they could either

A) Rebuild a new Fort, because obviously the current one is DONE, or
    B) But some kind of restaurant/mall/museum/something

I don't think the shooting range should be moved!! It's original 1955 Disney! Let's keep what little original stuff is left right where it should be. :|

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    I've never seen the "burning cabin"... where exactly on the island can I see it? I'm assuming it's not still "burning"?
    Burning Cabin is on the north end of the island, usually only visible from the Mark Twain, Columbia, canoes, or DRR. It's off limits to TSI visitors. And, last time I was there, it wasn't burning. Have heard the gas line that fueled the fire broke, but it could just be a cost-cutting measure, or a measure to get a little bit better air quality and thus protect disneyland's ability to do fireworks shows.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Burning Cabin is on the north end of the island, usually only visible from the Mark Twain, Columbia, canoes, or DRR. It's off limits to TSI visitors. And, last time I was there, it wasn't burning. Have heard the gas line that fueled the fire broke, but it could just be a cost-cutting measure, or a measure to get a little bit better air quality and thus protect disneyland's ability to do fireworks shows.
    As I remember, (and memories are often flawed) the original backstory for the burning cabin was that the settlers were being run off by the Indians. You can see, with today's more sensitive attitudes, that this needed to be changed. (Arson by pirate is, apparently, still OK.) The simple solution was to turn off the flames and edit this portion of the narrative on the Mark Twain. It was an interesting effect, however. I'm sure it could return with a different explanation. Probably well down on the "to do" list for now, though.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

they should fix the burning cabin with the red lit cloth teqnique under a fan. or maybe even fiber optic red lighting, giving the effect of wood that had been buring for hours. with light smoke ( fog machine) effects giving it smokey look. as for the rest of the island it will stay. i am sure. there is no way to remove that area. it would cause the elimination of the mark twain and colunmia which are disneyland establishments. the should leave the tom sawyer themed rafts and caves. a tunnel from critter country would be nice to and the subtraction of the for plus a addition of a low profile bambi ride ride hidden in the island would be a blast. kinda like a dark ride that is acsessable from the tunnel when the rest of the island closes at dusk.

I'm suprised the fort lasted as long as it did. Being a real log fort, it is infested with termites and definately shows it's age. A new fort was on the drawing board back in 1996, but that obviously didn't happen. The food location inside the fort was closed primarily for financial reasons, and a food location is simply not feasable unless a new fort is built (then ADA access becomes an issue). In as much as I'd like to see the 'old days' return, I say it is time to bring a new experience to the space.

• Lord of the Ribs

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    As I remember, (and memories are often flawed) the original backstory for the burning cabin was that the settlers were being run off by the Indians. You can see, with today's more sensitive attitudes, that this needed to be changed. (Arson by pirate is, apparently, still OK.) The simple solution was to turn off the flames and edit this portion of the narrative on the Mark Twain. It was an interesting effect, however. I'm sure it could return with a different explanation. Probably well down on the "to do" list for now, though.
    Before they turned it off completely, they did change the story. For a while, didn't they refer to the "careless" settler who caused the fire and was putting the nearby nesting eagles in danger?

Eat meat. Your daddy sez it's good for ya.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123