View Poll Results: Tom Sawyer's Island- Should It Stay or Go?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • TSI should remain. Just improve it.

84 84.00%
  • TSI should be removed and the land used for a new attraction

16 16.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Lightbulb Tom Sawyer's Island

HI.

Tom Sawyer's Island seems to be not what it used to be. The overall conditions of the Island and the fort are subpar. Maybe it is time to say good bye to Tom. But what could the island be used for? Any ideas? Feelings about TSI?

• Rat Tat Tat.

I haven't been there for a long time...it just doesn't seem worth it to wait to get on an island with nothing to do and then have to wait in a line just to get OFF. Its a nice place to do nothing, if that's what you're looking for, but it would be nice if they build a restaraunt on it or had something to do more than self-led expeditions to get lost in tunnels. I don't think there is enough room to fit a ride...so I'm not sure how they could do anything there. Fantasmic! is on Tom Sawyer Island so that's something that's good about it...

I have never been over to the island even as a child ... I have been on the raft but my cousin and I changed our minds and left the rest of our family over there ... it was funny though b/c the CM had a puzzling look when we said we did not want to get off the raft.

• Banned User

I think it should stay. It was part of Walt’s dream that you could actually be a part of the park and that's what tom's island is. You become apart of the past when you're on that island. It's a little run down but over all it's great. Although The BTM at DLParis is awesome. They could try to do something like that. Maybe they could connect the landmass to fontierland by some sort of tunnel or bridge.

• Rat Tat Tat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirton
    They could try to do something like that. Maybe they could connect the landmass to fontierland by some sort of tunnel or bridge.
    A bridge would have to be really tall to allow the Columbia pass, unless it is a drawbride...and a tunnel would be nice...no line for one of those.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I think it should definitely stay. It's one of the few places kids can actually just run around and not get lost in crowds. As a kid, that was the first place my Dad would take us to. Of course, we just wanted to go on rides, but he made us go to TSI for an hour and let us run off that initial "we're at Disneyland, I want to go on every ride" energy and then we weren't quite so antsy when we had to wait in lines.

• That's Hawt

I think they should keep it but also create a rapids ride themed to going down the Missouri or something tied in with TSI
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• I Hug My Tapirs

I absolutely love TSI! I have had more fun playing hide-and-seek there, and exploring the caves, and taking photos... then again, I'm a 6-year-old trapped in a 22-year-old body.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

they need to get that fort reopend (fix it or take it out and build a new one) and fix up a few other places and they'll be fine

I would go crazy and wish for them to move BTMRR out there like it is in Paris but with fantasmic running out there it just isn't practical

• Shubisha

I haven't been to the island in a very long time. Certainly not since they renovated a bunch and added things. I just couldn't get myself to spend time there when I just wanted to run around the park more. The thing I didn't like as a kid was that the caves were too small. I wanted to be able to get lost in them or get through some maze-like thing.

• Minion

Welcome back JC!

My one and only real visit to TSI was in '59 and as a 13 year old I thought it was one of the highlights of my visit to the park. The pontoon bridge, suspension bridge, caves, fort and tilting rocks were a playground come alive. My cousins, sister and I still talk about how much fun we had that day. The island was a great idea for the original design and is the primary reason the RofA work so well. It's rebirth as the main stage for Fantasmic was a brilliant idea and has given pleasure to millions. The only thing I'm sorry about is the safe, friendly island it's become. When we crossed those bridges we thought we might break an ankle as children. Like crossing a log over a stream in real life or rocks, we were careful. That part of the "magic" has long vanished.

• Walt Disney Disciple

I was impressed overall with the improvements they made a few years ago. I was particularly glad they didn't turn it into a version of the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail (which I actually like, but it isn't "natural").

They need to reopen Fort Wilderness and do stuff in there (didn't they used to have a snack bar there?).

I love Tom Sawyer even without kids. It is so peaceful walking around the island.
    Kevin Crossman
    Disneyland and Disney California Adventure fan
    Disney's Animal Kingdom Fans: http://twitter.com/AnimKingdomFans

• Minion

They did used to have a snackbar in the fort. The island went downhill after the fort closed in general. I miss the guns.

• Greetings, Program!

I miss that entire fort.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

• Minion

Matt Ouimet, hear our cry. Bring back Fort Wilderness and the guns.

Speaking of guns, a revitalized Fort Wilderness (and Frontierland in general) could benefit from a revival of gunfighting stuntmen who stage mock "shootouts" to add some needed flavor to the land. The Old West was not filled with sensitive, gentle, understanding peaceful souls bent on retaining the natural environment. It was filled with insensitive, rough, violent souls bent on establishing a place for themselves on the American continent, and if that meant cutting down a forest to make a fort, or shooting a settler full of arrows and then burning his cabin, well so be it. Disneyland should be truthful to the spirit of history and present something modern Park guests rarely, if ever, see - people battling each other over a hunk of dirt.
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast