Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Disneyland Fanatic

My 1st Trip report, Presidents Day weekend trip DAYS ONE & TWO

Hi guys!
    This is my first ever trip report, it’s long but I know I’ve enjoyed reading these kind of reports in the past, so here is mine

Trip report 2/17/06 to 2/20/06

Cast: DH, 7 yr old DD and me.

I want to start by saying this is my 6th time at DL in the last 5 years, but I never “knew” the Fastpass details, so it was a COMPLETELY NEW experience. Before this trip, we almost never did FP because it was such a pain to have to come back to the ride in that “window” of time. Now, we had time to literally stop and smell the flowers, take in the scenery, all the wonderful details of DL, and enjoy our trip without rushing from one side of the park to the other. Please don’t flame it, I know some of your hate the way FP works for crowds later in the day, but for a family like ours that only makes it to DL once or twice a year it makes a huge difference in the enjoyment level!

Thanks to all who have posted food tips in the past! Our family got to experience a lot of wonderful “FIRSTS” in this trip. (including our very first Dole Whip, I’m already craving one)

Now here is my trip report, sorry that it’s so long , I’ll break it up by days.

Friday February 17, 2006.

Leave San Francisco at 6:30 am. The trip was a surprise for DD, she knew we were going somewhere for the weekend but she thought it was Santa Cruz or Monterey. We got her in the car and I took her gold Mickey ears and told her: “you are going to need these!” Weather was rainy but thankfully traffic was not bad at all. Smooth sailing all the way until we hit LA at about noon. OMG I have never been in that kind of traffic. I live in the Bay Area but LA traffic is just crazy! I know, I should have know it was a getaway Friday but I figured if we get there by noon people are still at work (wrong)

We made it to our hotel (Park Place Inn) at 2:45, had a quick and pleasant check-in as usual. I love this hotel! We quickly unloaded the car, got situated in our room and went to eat a late lunch at IHOP. I had decided not to stop given the bad traffic so we had all survived on water, sodas, fruit and chex-mix. We were starving! After a quick meal we walked over to the ticket booths to get our passes. The lines were long but moving quickly. Got our 4 day hoppers and we were in the park by 4:30. So exciting!

DD decided she wants to go on Space Mountain 1st…mmh, let’s see what the line looks like. 50 min wait. Not too bad, we think, we need to digest our food a little anyway. So we get fastpasses for Buzz (SM FP had a return time of 11:00, I knew we wouldn’t make it) and get in line. After about 30 minutes we are told the ride is “experiencing difficulties” and it will be about 10 minutes wait. We wait for another 15 and since the line is sill not moving we give up since DD is getting antsy to go on other rides. We rode Buzz, TMRR, Pirates and finally Indy. We had a quick Bengal BBQ dinner and a Dole Whip for dessert (first time eating both of these, what a treat and thanks for the recomntdation). We head back to Tomorrowland, we ride Matterhorn (30 min wait), Star Tours (10 min) and Buzz (25 min) again. By now we are exhausted but exhilarated to be here and happy that we got to do so much. The rain is starting to come down and it’s late, so we call it a night and we are back at our room by 9:30pm. The bad news: our room is “connectable” and the people in the other room have loud, screaming, crying kids, we can hear them through the connecting door and DH is not happy. We try to sleep hoping the kids will settle down…no luck. We call the Front Desk and ask if they could nicely call them and ask them to keep it down; the call seems to have no effect. I finally walked to the front desk at 11:00pm and asked them if we could have another room in the morning. They said we could (another reason I love this place, good front desk staff and customer service). The only bummer is we have to pack all our stuff and check out and then wait until 3:00pm for a new room. Oh well, better to repack than 2 more nights of bad sleep.

Saturday February 18, 2006
    BIG DAY

It’s EE day. We really tried to be at DL by 7:00 but after the night we had it wasn’t easy. After a quick McDonalds breakfast, we grab our ponchos (it was raining very lightly) and we make it to the front gate by 8:15. Alice and the band are out, DD gets to dance with them, visits with the Mad Hatter, Mr. Rabbit, Queen of Hearts, etc. she’s so happy!

We catch a ride in a wagon (first time ever) and head over to Space Mountain. Get FP and then get on the stand by line. Finally get to ride it and it’s awesome! We ride Buzz again and then head over to Fantasyland while it’s still early enough. We ride Snow White, Pinocchio and Mr. Toad.

We head to Toontown to see Mickey, he was so great, he danced with DD and signed her book “to my best dancing partner ever” PURE MAGIC!

By now it’s time to get another FP so we go to Indy and again get to ride it (this is probably our “family” favorite ride, a really close second to Splash Mountain). We do Pirates, Splash and Winnie the Pooh. We also stand in line to see Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore. We go to the candy store to get Tigger Tails (another first, yummy!... reading the boards makes for a whole new food experience at DL). We save them for after lunch since we were eating lunch at Hungry Bear. The lines were long but it was wonderful to sit overlooking the water, watching the ducks and the canoes, I can’t believe we had never done this before either! We went on Pirates (again!) and walked back to the hotel at about 2:30.

DH wanted to take a nap and we needed to check into our new room. I took DD swimming (the rain had let up) and I sat in the hot tub for a while. We rested a little in the room, showered and got dressed. We had 6:20 reservations for Ariel’s Grotto but I wanted to see the BPB parade. We got into DCA at about 5:15, perfect timing! DD and I watched the parade at Sunshine Plaza while DH went to get FP for Soarin’ and then stood in line for coffees (almost 25 mins!).

We took a stroll down the Wharf, listened to the mariachis while we drank our coffees, and then walked over to Ariel’s Grotto. We were 15 minutes early so they told us to come back. We rode the Carousel and then came back to be seated. It was a little chilly but we wanted to sit outside by the water. We had a heater right over our table, and there was only one other family out there. The views were incredible, the characters got to spend a lot of time with us since it was so dead out there, it was great! The meals were yummy, we were so stuffed after dessert, we just sat there and drank more coffee and hot chocolate for DD. She was energized after visiting with all her favorite princesses. I was ecstatic that I didn’t have to chase them around the castle anymore . Our server Letty was wonderful. All in all, this was our favority dining experience ever.

We strolled (or rolled more like it) over to Soarin’ used our FP and were out of DCA back to DL at about 8:50. We found a spot to watch the fireworks by the train station. It was great. What a magical day/night we had. We used our FP from earlier and rode Indy, Jungle Cruise (which we had never done at night, it was cool, DD had forgotten about the piranhas from last year and she jumped out of her seat!) TMRR,Buzz and Space Mountain. We had FP for Splash but could not use them, the ride was breaking on and off throughout our whole stay. We did the Tikki Room and had another Dole Whip in the middle of the rainstorm (DD had never been in the Tiki Room and she thought the storm was real! more magic!) By then, it was midnight and, like Cinderella, we felt sad the spell had to be broken. We were in bed by 12:30, a little wet and exhausted but happy.

…To Be Continued…

• Dreams do come true

Re: My 1st Trip report, Presidents Day weekend trip DAYS ONE & TWO

Great trip report so far, thanks for sharing, I cannot wait for more.

• Banned User

awsome report!! more/ more!!!

Great. Keep it coming.

• NOT at Disneyland...

I love the Park Place Inn also. I agree about the staff! Jan the reservation sales manager is great and they are starting to remember me and greet me by name! Can't get closer to the parks!

Great report, thanks for posting!
    MEGADISNEY
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member
    Disneyland Premium Annual PassholderEXPIRED

• Artsy Fartsy

Oh wow!! sounds like you all had a great time. Loved the trip report. Thanks.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• Disneyland Fanatic

OK, I'm glad you guys liked the first part...I'll continue with day 3:

Sunday February 19,2006

We drag our butts out of bed, have a quick breakfast and head to DL at about 9:30. We come in and we realize it must be late because we don’t see any characters at the entrance. But just as we pass the bank we spot Wendy! DD runs to get her autograph, asks her where is Peter? And she points towards the Opera House. We had NEVER seen Peter Pan so needless to say DD goes nuts. He was great, had my daughter laughing and I took some awesome pictures of them. We went over to Frontierland, to ride the Mark Twain (for the first time) and that was wonderful! Again, it was nice to just relax and take in the sights of DL on a Sunday morning. After that, we went to see Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at 11:00am (another first). Awesome show!

We stayed around NOS because we had lunch reservations for Blue Bayou (can you guess? Another first LOL) We’ve been wanting to eat here forever and it’s never happened for one reason or another. I guess the anticipation and the hype were all too much because we were so disappointed. First of all, we are in line to check in, and the lady in front of us WITHOUT PS asks what the wait time is for 2 people. They tell her less than 15 mins for parties of 4 or less (remember, we have a party of 3). So she comes in and waits along with us. They sit her and her husband almost immediately. We wait for about 15 minutes, and when I asked if we could get closer to the water we are rudely told that would be AT LEAST another 30 or 45 minutes for that. Understandable, but the CM didn't have to scuff like I had just asked the stupidest question in the planet, did she? I was also getting kind of peeved because the couple that came in right before us had a really nice table. NOT on the water but better that the one we ended up with: We were at the very first table when you come in, right next to the bathrooms and clancking of the silverware. Needless to say, the ambiance was ruined, people were streaming by us from the waiting area, we could even hear the chitchatting of the servers standing right by the wall. By the way, not ONE of them came to see if we needed water, bread or anything. (but I got to find out about their date last night). Our server Ryan took our order and we never saw him again until bill paying time. I had ordered a child’s activity book and it never came. I had to ask to have it removed from my check. All in all, the WORST dining experience we’ve had. (the food was good, that the only good thing I have to say, the Montecristos live up to their reputations and my jambalaya was super hot like I like it). I guess we were just really unlucky, the way everybody raves about the place. We will have to give it another try and maybe with our expectations lowered we will have a better time (my pastor says expectations as dissapointments waiting to happen, I guess he's right! LOL)

So with our bubble deflated we leave BB, trying really hard not to let it ruin our afternoon. DH is full and grumpy, so he goes to the hotel to take a nap. DD and I walk him to the hub and then head over to Fantasyland where we meet Cruella. I love the face characters and the wonderful interaction they have with the children. My DD gave her a hug at the end and Cruella got really upset and told DD to warn her next time because she can’t stand sweet little girls, DD was giggling about that for hours! We went to Tomorrowland to get FP for Space for later and the return time was 11:00pm, just made it!

We saw Buzz Lightyear and got in line ro see him. Luckily, we made it before they closed the line. People behind us were so upset, I don’t understand people, they get so rude and pushy right in front of their kids’ eyes. Nice example, uh? This lady was yelling at the poor CM that they had come all the way from the East Coast and spent a lot of money, etc. When the CM told her Buzz would be back at 2:30 the lady snapped "but that's my son's nap time!" mmh, well, sorry lady I don't know what else to tell you (that's wouldn't been my response, I swear I don't know how CMs keep their cool sometimes, I don't think I could be that calm!)

We rode the Train to NOS to ride Pirates again and see if the Tarzan treehouse had opened (it was closed everytime we went by, I’m guessing because of the rain?). DD and I went over to DCA to get FP for Screamin’ (she had finally decided she was brave enough to try it). Low and behold, the ride was down, not sure why. So I drag the poor little thing to get FP for Soarin’- no luck either, they were not distributing them anymore and there was a 50 min wait. Ugh. Oh well, we head over to Grizzly (wait time was only 20 min) and this nice girl gives us her FP so we go right in. I still got FP in case DH wanted to ride with us later. By now it’s after 5:00 and we were supposed to go wake DH up. We went to the room and he woke up and we all jumped in the hot tub for 15-20 minutes. I could tell DD was really tired but she could not wait to go back to DCA (we still had not ridden Monster’s or ToT) This proved to be a bad judgement "mommy" call later in the evening when she totally melted, more on that later.

So after our showers we head back to DCA. We ride Monster’s Inc with only a 30 min wait, we loved it but unfortunately did not get to ride it again since this ended up being our last time at DCA for the trip. After Monsters we went to ToT and rode it twice in a row (with about a 25 min wait each time).

On the way out, we stop at Turtle Talk for the 8:00 pm show. It was a blast! Crush “talked” to DD and then to her “parental units” (us!) DD was in hog heaven! and we were giggling like little kids ourselves! On that high note we leave CDA back to DL to do a last round of rides- we were holding FP for Space, Buzz, TMRR, Splash and Indy. We started back at Splash which was broken down again, and by the time we made it back to Indy, DD was nearing exhaustion meltdown, she was getting grumpier by the minute but still insisted on going in Indy. We always tease her with the pole but this time she got really mad at us just because she was so tired.We called it a night after that and went to the hotel. I should have given my FP for Space to somebody but DD was on the verge of tears so we just quickly left and I saved the FP for my scrapbook. I really wanted to stop and get our AP’s on the way out since there was no line but I could not bear to do that to my poor little one. (I hadn’t done it earlier because we would have been blocked Sat and Sunday) We fell into bed at about 11:00pm.

I have one last day to chronicle but I must log off now so I will continue tomorrow.

Thanks for "listening"

• Disneyland Fanatic

OK, here is the last day of our trip:
    Monday, February 20, 2006

Wake up to glorious sunshine! Of course, we are leaving today, I kind so sad. We had planned on trying to make one last quick trip to DCA this morning to ride Monsters again and maybe It tough to be a bug but we never made it (and that was OK with DD). When we arrived at DL, we spotted Pinnochio out by the Emporioum so of course we got in line (it was a long one) while DH went to get us more coffee.

Then we saw Mr. Penguin and got in that line after Pinocchio, when we spotted Mary Poppins and Burt (Bert?) walking by. DD immediately wanted to leave the penguin line (LOL) to go after Mary Poppins, one of her favorite characters. THEY WERE AWESOME. Instead of starting a line, they announced they were going to play Hide and Seek. A couple of kids went with Burt to hide but my daughter would not leave Mary Poppins so she told her she could seek with her. WOW this is going to be a video I l cherish forever my daughter in stunned awe that she is PLAYING with Mary Poppins he was great, while counting she kept running her gloved finger over the railing to make sure it was clean LOL. Then she held DD by the hand and started seeking for Burt and the other kids. Finally they found them in the Fire Dept. Then Mary said ow we will hide and again she grabs DD by the hand and runs across to hide in the lobby of the opera house. (The funny (and sad) thing is I overheard other parents tell their kids to not run after the characters, because they were running and there was no ine to see them, but anybody could have joined in the fun).

So here we are, Mary Poppins, DD (who is still speechless) DH taking pictures and me holding the camcorder, all hiding in the Opera House, having a one on one with Mary Poppins! She asked DD where she lived, and what her favorite song was, and when DD told her Tupence MP said hat was Walt favorite also, I used to sing it to him all the time I almost cried (I know you fellow Disney freaks will understand LOL). So by then Burt and the kids finds us and by now the band is marching in with Alice and that gang, so we join them for a dance around the little plaza (MP let DD hold her umbrella while dancing!) Then Burt and MP danced off stage and we continued on the dancing and fun with Alice. She gathered a bunch of dads and had them all doing a can-can dance (my DH did it with them, it was hilarious).

WOW, on such a Disney igh we head down main street toward Adventure Land, to get our last Dole Whip of the day and get FP for Indy- the wait was 20 minutes so we went in to rid it but then the ride broke down e left with our FP praying we would get to ride one last time before we had to leave at noon. We headed over to Splash (it was getting to be nicer weather and I knew the line would be getting longer) It was already at a 35 min wait but it actually took about 20 minutes. We were happy we got to ride it since it had been broken 3 times during our trip. We head back to NOS to do our final pirates ride. Then we ride TMRR and head to the castle to do a little shopping in the Princess store. Pinochio had a short line so we rode that as well. I was hoping to catch one last villain but with the luck we had earlier I wasn really dissapointed that we didn see any. We ride Matterhorn one last time, and head back to our last ride of the day INDY. It was awesome as usual but I could feel that little tightness in the back of my throat that we were leaving, I could see the little sadness in DDs face also, such a bittersweet moment!

Buh-bye DL! We l come back as soon as we can! I told DH we needed to stop by to get our APs as we had planned and then we be on the road ithout knowing the line was huge! Oh well, it was moving fairly quickly, but it still took about 45 minutes. I stood in line while DD and DH went to get a Gibson cone. DH was so sweet, they stopped at the Jewelry store and he got my a Mickey ring with a on it (our last name) and a sweet pair of earrings. We finally make it in, get our pictures taken, $349 later we are proud holders of our first ever AP ! I justified the purchase to DH by explaining that this is a good financial move even if we only come one more time this year, still cheaper than buying 4 day hoppers again, right? (he just doesn know the plans I have LOL)

All in all, it was an awesome weekend. I can wait to get AP rates so we can stay at the DL hotel next time (we coming for sure for DD 8th birthday in August and I trying to come in November also since I dying to see the Holiday decorations which we e never had a chance to experience)

• Disneyland Fanatic

OMG Sorry about the typos, I emailed myself a word document and this silly computer only has Word Perfect instead of word so now my post is missing letters and it didn't run the spell check for me

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by LuvDLand
    OK, I'm glad you guys liked the first part...I'll continue with day 3:

Sunday February 19,2006

We drag our butts out of bed, have a quick breakfast and head to DL at about 9:30. We come in and we realize it must be late because we don’t see any characters at the entrance. But just as we pass the bank we spot Wendy! DD runs to get her autograph, asks her where is Peter? And she points towards the Opera House. We had NEVER seen Peter Pan so needless to say DD goes nuts. He was great, had my daughter laughing and I took some awesome pictures of them. We went over to Frontierland, to ride the Mark Twain (for the first time) and that was wonderful! Again, it was nice to just relax and take in the sights of DL on a Sunday morning. After that, we went to see Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at 11:00am (another first). Awesome show!

We stayed around NOS because we had lunch reservations for Blue Bayou (can you guess? Another first LOL) We’ve been wanting to eat here forever and it’s never happened for one reason or another. I guess the anticipation and the hype were all too much because we were so disappointed. First of all, we are in line to check in, and the lady in front of us WITHOUT PS asks what the wait time is for 2 people. They tell her less than 15 mins for parties of 4 or less (remember, we have a party of 3). So she comes in and waits along with us. They sit her and her husband almost immediately. We wait for about 15 minutes, and when I asked if we could get closer to the water we are rudely told that would be AT LEAST another 30 or 45 minutes for that. Understandable, but the CM didn't have to scuff like I had just asked the stupidest question in the planet, did she? I was also getting kind of peeved because the couple that came in right before us had a really nice table. NOT on the water but better that the one we ended up with: We were at the very first table when you come in, right next to the bathrooms and clancking of the silverware. Needless to say, the ambiance was ruined, people were streaming by us from the waiting area, we could even hear the chitchatting of the servers standing right by the wall. By the way, not ONE of them came to see if we needed water, bread or anything. (but I got to find out about their date last night). Our server Ryan took our order and we never saw him again until bill paying time. I had ordered a child’s activity book and it never came. I had to ask to have it removed from my check. All in all, the WORST dining experience we’ve had. (the food was good, that the only good thing I have to say, the Montecristos live up to their reputations and my jambalaya was super hot like I like it). I guess we were just really unlucky, the way everybody raves about the place. We will have to give it another try and maybe with our expectations lowered we will have a better time (my pastor says expectations as dissapointments waiting to happen, I guess he's right! LOL)

So with our bubble deflated we leave BB, trying really hard not to let it ruin our afternoon. DH is full and grumpy, so he goes to the hotel to take a nap. DD and I walk him to the hub and then head over to Fantasyland where we meet Cruella. I love the face characters and the wonderful interaction they have with the children. My DD gave her a hug at the end and Cruella got really upset and told DD to warn her next time because she can’t stand sweet little girls, DD was giggling about that for hours! We went to Tomorrowland to get FP for Space for later and the return time was 11:00pm, just made it!

We saw Buzz Lightyear and got in line ro see him. Luckily, we made it before they closed the line. People behind us were so upset, I don’t understand people, they get so rude and pushy right in front of their kids’ eyes. Nice example, uh? This lady was yelling at the poor CM that they had come all the way from the East Coast and spent a lot of money, etc. When the CM told her Buzz would be back at 2:30 the lady snapped "but that's my son's nap time!" mmh, well, sorry lady I don't know what else to tell you (that's wouldn't been my response, I swear I don't know how CMs keep their cool sometimes, I don't think I could be that calm!)

We rode the Train to NOS to ride Pirates again and see if the Tarzan treehouse had opened (it was closed everytime we went by, I’m guessing because of the rain?). DD and I went over to DCA to get FP for Screamin’ (she had finally decided she was brave enough to try it). Low and behold, the ride was down, not sure why. So I drag the poor little thing to get FP for Soarin’- no luck either, they were not distributing them anymore and there was a 50 min wait. Ugh. Oh well, we head over to Grizzly (wait time was only 20 min) and this nice girl gives us her FP so we go right in. I still got FP in case DH wanted to ride with us later. By now it’s after 5:00 and we were supposed to go wake DH up. We went to the room and he woke up and we all jumped in the hot tub for 15-20 minutes. I could tell DD was really tired but she could not wait to go back to DCA (we still had not ridden Monster’s or ToT) This proved to be a bad judgement "mommy" call later in the evening when she totally melted, more on that later.

So after our showers we head back to DCA. We ride Monster’s Inc with only a 30 min wait, we loved it but unfortunately did not get to ride it again since this ended up being our last time at DCA for the trip. After Monsters we went to ToT and rode it twice in a row (with about a 25 min wait each time).

On the way out, we stop at Turtle Talk for the 8:00 pm show. It was a blast! Crush “talked” to DD and then to her “parental units” (us!) DD was in hog heaven! and we were giggling like little kids ourselves! On that high note we leave CDA back to DL to do a last round of rides- we were holding FP for Space, Buzz, TMRR, Splash and Indy. We started back at Splash which was broken down again, and by the time we made it back to Indy, DD was nearing exhaustion meltdown, she was getting grumpier by the minute but still insisted on going in Indy. We always tease her with the pole but this time she got really mad at us just because she was so tired.We called it a night after that and went to the hotel. I should have given my FP for Space to somebody but DD was on the verge of tears so we just quickly left and I saved the FP for my scrapbook. I really wanted to stop and get our AP’s on the way out since there was no line but I could not bear to do that to my poor little one. (I hadn’t done it earlier because we would have been blocked Sat and Sunday) We fell into bed at about 11:00pm.

I have one last day to chronicle but I must log off now so I will continue tomorrow.

Thanks for "listening"
    I enjoyed this, wow you got a lot in, sorry BB was not good this time, some thimes peoplesay they did not get the best service, I hope next time its way better. Also how did you get so many fast passes? I though you could only get one at a time for rides? and have to use them up before getting another? Tell me more!!!

• Banned User

I really enjoyed your trip report, I wish you would have throw some pics in, but I understand. Tahnk you ,made me really excited for my up coming trip!!

• NOT at Disneyland...

WOW!! Thanks for posting this! I am so happy that you got to enjoy so many "firsts"!!

Sorry about BB. I have had a bad experience now and again at every resturant I have ever visited. Hopefully you will give it another chance!

Thanks again for posting, I enjoyed reading it!
    MEGADISNEY
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member
    Disneyland Premium Annual PassholderEXPIRED

• Disneyland Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    I enjoyed this, wow you got a lot in, sorry BB was not good this time, some thimes peoplesay they did not get the best service, I hope next time its way better. Also how did you get so many fast passes? I though you could only get one at a time for rides? and have to use them up before getting another? Tell me more!!!
    Yes, you can only get one at a time....BUT I read the sticky post at the beginning of this forum...it gives you all the "tricks" on using Fastpass It really makes a huge difference!

I will post some pictures as soon as I figure out how LOL

• Disneyland Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney
    WOW!! Thanks for posting this! I am so happy that you got to enjoy so many "firsts"!!

Sorry about BB. I have had a bad experience now and again at every resturant I have ever visited. Hopefully you will give it another chance!

Thanks again for posting, I enjoyed reading it!
    Thank you for reading ...and yes, I will most surely try BB again, probably in August when I go w/DD and my mom. I did take it with a grain of salt and figured my experience was the exception, not the rule,KWIM

• All you need is LOVE

Thanks for report

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast