Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cast Member "Exclusive" Items Sold On Ebay. Good or Bad Thing To Do?

During the week of Disneyland's 60th celebration, Cast Members were given a gift bag filled with several Cast Member exclusive items. Almost immediately they started showing up for sale on Ebay (selling for hundreds of dollars).
    What are your thoughts about CMs going for the bucks instead of maintaining Disney integrity? I've been told that if caught, they would immediately be fired. But the internet being what it is, it's hard to get caught.
    Last edited by DLR CM; 07-23-2015 at 05:45 PM.

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: Cast Member "Exclusive" Items Sold On Ebay. Good or Bad Thing To Do?

Well, technically a gift belongs to the recipient to do with as they wish. If my Aunt Matilda gives me a tacky piece of pottery that I don't care for, I'm perfectly free to sell it on ebay or CL. Now, if she sees my listing and disinherits me, that's also her prerogative. Same thing.

I'd also say that unless Disney specifically hands out the swag with a warning that the recipient will be terminated if they sell it, firing them for doing so would be wrongful termination.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• Minion

It's no difference to me if a CM does it or a guest. If it were me personally I would keep it.

• The Tomorrowland One

Memories and keepsakes don't pay the bills. Some CMs try to eek out every cent they can to survive, which usually ends up biting them in the rear when they try to sell their comps or sign in tickets and swiftly get fired with no recourse.

And some CMs just don't want the stuff. Yeah, selling it is maybe unethical, but I guess it is better going to a collector than the dump? I still have my TWDC employee studio copy of Toy Story 3 around her somewhere. As someone else pointed out, it is a gift to the CMs. And everyone I know gives gifts to people where the intent is you keep it, not sell it or return it.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLR CM View Post
    What are your thoughts about CMs going for the bucks instead of maintaining Disney integrity? Keep in mind if caught, they would immediately be fired. But the internet being what it is, it's hard to get caught.
    My thought is that it's cheesy & sleazy. An exhibition of "I got mine" entitlement. These people give no thought to what selling CM merch means for their fellow CMs who appreciate getting these perks, and who will be the losers when management finally says "no more perks, all they do it turn around and sell it on ebay."

Imagine you're the employer, and one of your employees does this with a swag bag you gave them. Would you really want someone with that sort of non-ethics to continue working for you?
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    My thought is that it's cheesy & sleazy. An exhibition of "I got mine" entitlement. These people give no thought to what selling CM merch means for their fellow CMs who appreciate getting these perks, and who will be the losers when management finally says "no more perks, all they do it turn around and sell it on ebay."

Imagine you're the employer, and one of your employees does this with a swag bag you gave them. Would you really want someone with that sort of non-ethics to continue working for you?
    I offer an opinion contrary to Mr. Wiggins (my favorite Micechat writer) with a mixture of respect and fear--not really fear--but if a single parent cleaning toilets full-time at Disneyland who earns less than .2% of her CEO's compensation wants to have a little more money for kids' shoes and not contribute to an already cluttered house, she has my blessing.

That written, I did value my key to the new Fantasyland that I got as a CM in 1983, so I would and did keep the stuff. I'd bet that the best Disneyland CMs are not just in it for the money, and I'd like Disney to offer them even more cool perks.

I wouldn't judge. If I received a swag bag, I would certainly keep it, but I have the luxury of enjoying "stuff." CMS aren't the highest paid workers, and many have families to support. Keepsakes are great, but as Autopia says, they don't pay the bills.

Sidebar: why are people paying so much for this pin? There are limited run pins of 1000 or 500 that people pay $20 for. When you think about how many employees are at the Disney Parks, there are far more of these in circulation. Although it is a lovely pin.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

If I were an employer and I saw my employees--who are barely scraping by because of the high cost of living--sell some swag that cost me little to produce I would have two thoughts:
    1. Sell similarly designed things because this stuff is popular.
    2. Treat my employees better.

• ---------------

If I saw my employees sell things I gave them
    I'd ask why they are.
    If it's a
    1: "just because", I'd stop giving them things
    2: If I got "I really didn't want to, but I need to make rent", look at giving something different that could help them out.

And let's be honest. It's not easy finding something that everyone loves/likes.
    Not everyone enjoys the same cup of tea.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

Here's what's written on the package for the Cast Member pin…

"Your passion for, and commitment to our Guests and your fellow Cast Members, employees, and Imagineers have made this Disneyland Resort milestone truly magical.

In honor of that famous day, July 17, 1955 - "The Day The Magic Began" - we present this special gift to say "thank you."

I'm proud to be a Cast Member and wouldn't sell any of the items given to me that week. For me, they're not only a gift, but will in time be a treasured memory of an important day in Disney history that I was a part of.
    But yes, I'm sure there are those who feel differently (less) and have no problem immediately putting them up for sale for some quick cash.

• ---------------

I wouldn't sell that
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• DisneyBounder

I believe what it really comes down to are the CMs who are passionate about the company and those who are there to pay the bills. Not every CM is going to love Disney as much as others and may only be there for a short time. I can see why some would sell stuff on Ebay to those who may appreciate more. Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a personal choice.

Who cares what other people do with items they received either as a gift or they bought it...that's why eBay exists

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I offer an opinion contrary to Mr. Wiggins (my favorite Micechat writer) with a mixture of respect and fear--not really fear--but if a single parent cleaning toilets full-time at Disneyland who earns less than .2% of her CEO's compensation wants to have a little more money for kids' shoes and not contribute to an already cluttered house, she has my blessing.

That written, I did value my key to the new Fantasyland that I got as a CM in 1983, so I would and did keep the stuff. I'd bet that the best Disneyland CMs are not just in it for the money, and I'd like Disney to offer them even more cool perks.
    I agree completely. I have a few things that I got as a CM that I would never give up, but you gotta do what you've gotta do in order to make rent. If Disney gave it to them as a gift, then the bottom line is that they are now free to do with it what they want. Maybe in a perfect world that wouldn't happen, but we don't live in that world.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast