Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Aliens Invade Disneyland

Ok so aliens really haven't invaded Disneyland. What I'm referring to is those blinking, strobing, flashing, pulsing, and somewhat annoying souvenir necklaces. Last weekend my sister and I were in town so we decided to spend a night at the resort. While enjoying our dinner at the bayou a family of five was seated across from us. It wasn't long before I noticed this flashing thing around one of the kid's necks. Now I must admit these things look preety cool but they totally ruin the atmosphere, especially in a dark environment. Fortunately after a couple of dirty glares at the dad he leaned over and asked his son to turn off the lights for the remainder of dinner. I don't mean to be a prude but I can't imagine it would be fun to ride an attraction like POTC or HM with the passenger in front of you flashing away. Well what do you think Mr. and Mrs. Micechatter are these things annoying or what?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Aliens Invade Disneyland

They're terrible during dinner and in attractions, and as equally terrible flashing in front of your eyes during the fireworks.

Imagine a young sleeping kid in the arms of a tall father with the mom next to the dad with the obnoxious flashing necklace going off throughout the entire show. The kid was SLEEPING. Definately would not have been upset if his necklace was off. The parents knew it was irritating people becuase someone from my group along with a couple other people muttered things under their breath.

It probably would have been more polite to ask the man if he could turn the necklace off before the show started, but I think everybody assumed he would turn it off as soon as the fireworks began, but he didn't.. and he knew people were getting irritated. He only turned it off as Julie Andrews came back on after the E-Tickets in the Sky portion of the show concluded. Rude and ridiculous.

I bet these things make bank for the Resort, but they need to GO!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

the park definitely makes bank on these things, they can't cost much to make and I don't even know how much they sell for in the park, but yeah easy moneymaker. I can't stand them. I've been in the stretching room in the Haunted Mansion with them and it's just irritating, in Leota's room you just see these flashing rings across the way...

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

I can't stand those things...yes they are prety cool...but they need to stay in rave party's....not on Childrens necks @ DL

• Flames Fan/Oiler Hater

I hate those things, they completely ruin the effect on some rides.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I also hate those pieces of crap. They RUIN the show, whether you're in POTC, HM or just walking down Main Street. Also, those hideous and cheap lightsaber knockoffs and the annoying electronic ray guns. They shouldn't be activated until they leave the park... yeah... like that's going to happen!

oh well.

And don't even bring up laser pointers, although I haven't even noticed those in quite a while now.

Nothing about the toys themselves; they're just completely inappropriate walking around the park. Wow, do we sound like old people or what?

No... we don't... they're inappropriate in the surroundings.

• Animatronic

Those flashy things are really annoying, just be glad they don't sell those long plastic swords that hyper kids could use to whack you on the head from behind during the whole Pirates ride.

They weren't bad when they were the cool stones from Atlantis that faintly glowed and didn't pulse.

But I can't stand the flash necklaces, or the roses,tubes,or sticks. It's Disneyland not a rave party. It is annoying also with the spinner toys. Yeah they were cool for five minutes, but now are pointless.

The real annoying ones are the light-singing spinners, I purchased at the Tijuana-San Diego border crossing. Two hours later, it was broken by our driver...

The blinking necklaces are like camera flashes, but more annoying

• Needs the smell of summer

Do they still have the light up sunglasses too? I remember seeing those a couple of years ago. I don't know what the manufacturer was thinking! They are meant to wear at night time! It's completely impractical, and slightly dangerous to wear sunglasses at night, unless your Corey Hart. It seems like they just caught on to the hype, and really didn't think that through.

I was more amazed by the amount of people that bought them.!

• Vehicle rotating backward

I don't mind them so long as they're not placed immediately in my face so as to give me seizures, which is what happened once a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    Nothing about the toys themselves; they're just completely inappropriate walking around the park. Wow, do we sound like old people or what?
    The same could be said about the toy rifles they've sold since I was young, although they may have become a PC victim in DL, I swear that I did see them at WDW though.

• Animatronic

The original toy riffles they sold (on-theme) in Frontierland were real wood and shot a cork ball when powered by a cap. They either did not sell the caps, or the child was afraid to lose his cork ammo, as I, nor anyone else I saw, ever used the guns in the park. Of course, I don't remember my parents letting me have it until I got home. It was pretty neat and I wish they still sold them.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Add another person to the list who thinks these flashing necklaces are annoying. Last time I was at the park, we were walking throught the path between Fontierland and Fantasyland (a fairly dark area) when a whole group was approaching us with these on....it really did look like an alien spaceship coming at us. And yes, they do ruin the atmosphere of the rides!

I've been whacked in the head by those light-up lightsaber things countless times. Or had them waved in front of me while trying to watch a show, and the parents are oblivious to how much the kid is distracting everyone.

I wish they'd go away, too.

• Master of Disaster

come people be possitive! at least they can turn them off unlike the glow necklaces!

Sorry about that last night.. that was me! Oh but it was your fault i know it! Thats whatcha get for out helping out GC. Stay to your Right! FWAP!. Your right sir! Fwap! I was better than the cheerleaders! Kevin know what im talking about..

Quote Originally Posted by RPH
    I've been whacked in the head by those light-up lightsaber things countless times. Or had them waved in front of me while trying to watch a show, and the parents are oblivious to how much the kid is distracting everyone.

I wish they'd go away, too.
    Current DL Entertainment Technical Services

Former DCA Attractions CM

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast