Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50
  1. #16

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,769

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    All I can hope is that they do not copy this at other parks. Disneyland deserves to be a resort destination and not just a local park.

  2. #17

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    439

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    All I can hope is that they do not copy this at other parks. Disneyland deserves to be a resort destination and not just a local park.
    Well.... since they destroyed the lagoon in WDW, there's a very very good chance it won't be built there. I'd say if another sub ride is ever built at a Disney park it would be a 'dry for wet' system like they did for Tokyo's 20K ride, rather then the much (MUCH) more expensive 'dry tank' system they're using for Disneyland's.

    I'm pretty certain that it will (justly) become a Disneyland exclusive attraction.

  3. #18

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,769

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    Quote Originally Posted by kayoss
    Well.... since they destroyed the lagoon in WDW, there's a very very good chance it won't be built there. I'd say if another sub ride is ever built at a Disney park it would be a 'dry for wet' system like they did for Tokyo's 20K ride, rather then the much (MUCH) more expensive 'dry tank' system they're using for Disneyland's.

    I'm pretty certain that it will (justly) become a Disneyland exclusive attraction.
    I hope you are right. Does anyone know how much they are spending on the new attraction? Has the limit been increased?

  4. #19

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Posts
    7,773

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tref
    What did it do in-between?
    To answer your question: It sat there. The subs were parked in the show building and allowed to rust. This was the era when management was content to let classic attractions deteriorate or cease to operate entirely while focusing on sales of plush toys and souvenirs instead.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-


    When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.


  5. #20

    • Minion FOREVER!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Campbell, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    Quote Originally Posted by C-HOX
    How sad is it that I love this ride and have never been on it?
    Wow, I've forgotten how long it's actually been since the Subs closed down.
    Neither of my kids have ridden this either. BTW. I always HAD to ride "Nautilus"
    (yeah, I'm aging myself when I say that.... most kids nowadays don't even know
    what the "Nautilus" is, much less want to ride on it)

  6. #21

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,769

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    To answer your question: It sat there. The subs were parked in the show building and allowed to rust. This was the era when management was content to let classic attractions deteriorate or cease to operate entirely while focusing on sales of plush toys and souvenirs instead.
    It was absolutely sick to let such a legend attraction deteriorate to the point where it was. Absolutely no respect for this ride that has serviced people since the 60's. When I saw pics of the ride before this rehab I actually thought the ride held up quite well after being so long after not being touched. The ride was pure quality and it showed it to the end. If micechat doesn't mind me posting up some of their old pics here we go:



    Last edited by Disneyfreak; 03-03-2006 at 11:50 PM.

  7. #22

    • Still lost in Neverland
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Van Nuys, CA
    Posts
    4,079

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    Lets be honest, ok? It was pure Paul Pressler who destroyed the Subs. And the reason? He thought it was stupid to pay a Cast Member to stand in the middle of the sub and make it go. You remember the CM who "drove" the sub. He saw the ride from above the water line. He started and stopped the sub. And he kept a lookout above the water for anything that might be dangerous (like people who managed to sneak into the show building and could cause all kinds of problems) and really was a necessity. That ride could not be run from a sit down operator like the Dark Rides. He didn't "get it".

    Plus, because of all the water in the Show Building, the inside of that building was beginning to rot as you can see in the pictures that DisneyFreak posted above. Heaven forbid that he would spend any money on keeping it clean and safe. When the pieces of roof started falling into the ride he was then able to delcare it "unsafe" and had it closed. It saved money on CM's, Maintainance and upkeep. Now he could add more of his beloved plush into the Park. Remember he is the one who once made the statement that "people (note the phrase people here, not Guests) don't come to Disneyland to go on rides! They come to buy merchandise and Plush Toys".) !!!

    At least now we have people in charge who are willing to spend the money on attractions and keep them looking good and running safe. They have respect for Disney's Crown Jewell as does John Lassiter. They "Get It"!
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

    Thank You Poisonedapples

  8. #23

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    I wish whoever took those pictures could have snuck in some pictures of the volcano, Atlantis, Sea Serpent, etc. It's sad to see it in that state. What happened to this ******* Pressler guy?

  9. #24

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Too Far From Disney
    Posts
    3,497

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    one word GAP
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

  10. #25

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Tiki Juice Bar
    Posts
    5,240

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    Quote Originally Posted by C-HOX
    I wish whoever took those pictures could have snuck in some pictures of the volcano, Atlantis, Sea Serpent, etc. It's sad to see it in that state. What happened to this ******* Pressler guy?
    Haha what, you're going to find out where he lives and then kick his be-hind?

    Either way, he's done what he's done...leaving poor TL in a state of disrepair. Now it's slowly coming back to life, but his reign certainly proved detrimental...

  11. #26

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    Haha what, you're going to find out where he lives and then kick his be-hind?

    Either way, he's done what he's done...leaving poor TL in a state of disrepair. Now it's slowly coming back to life, but his reign certainly proved detrimental...
    We could all tie him to the side of the Nautilus for it's reopening maiden voyage. Anyways, I heard these things were powered by a motor? So they could go even without the water, right?

  12. #27

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,769

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    Quote Originally Posted by C-HOX
    We could all tie him to the side of the Nautilus for it's reopening maiden voyage. Anyways, I heard these things were powered by a motor? So they could go even without the water, right?
    No they cannot go forward without water. They work just like a real submarine. The propellers will make it go forward in the water just as a boat. If you look in the pictures on the previous page you will see the submarines propellers. They ran on diesel engines. Hopefully they can change the submarines to an alternate source of fuel so that excuse of them polluting can be taken away.

  13. #28

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    For some reason I thought the propellers were just to make it look authentic. Thanks.

  14. #29

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    473

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    [/quote]

    Did anyone else notice that the sub in this photo seems to be missing it's conn tower? Where would the driver sit?

    Trust me, the tower would block the lights out if it was there.

  15. #30

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,769

    Re: Submarine Voyage...

    Very good observation. I believe that somewhere I heard they took one of the subs tops off for experimenting. Al or Darkbeer said this I think.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Submarine Voyage Mermaid's
    By AshleyJaded in forum Yesterland
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 11:53 AM
  2. My Submarine Voyage
    By Nautilus in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 07:52 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 01:13 PM
  4. Submarine Voyage Waterfalls are On
    By Seawolf in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 12:35 AM
  5. Submarine Voyage 2.0
    By mp3piratesavvy in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 12:19 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •