Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Re: Fond memories of Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walkthrough!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    In any event, walk through or ride through, it's highly unlikely it will ever be open again. But then again King Stefans at WDW is still open and that's a likely target too I would imagine. Hmmmm, confusing message then if you think about it. Its ok to keep the WDW castle open for business but not do something with the Dland castle. Curious.
    George Bush probably told the state of Florida that if they helped him rig the 2004 election just like they helped him in 2000, he will not close the Castle in DisneyWorld, but for Sleeping Beauty Castle and the California vote, he can care less, LOL.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Basking in birthday love

The biggest threat as far as terrorism goes would be someone leaving a bomb inside as a suspicious package. The walkthrough wasn't staffed, so something like that would probably go unnoticed until it was too late, hence the closure. If they installed security cameras inside, that would probably solve the problem. WDW's castle is still open because it's staffed, plain and simple.

There are actually at least two other locations in DL that aren't staffed: the Cinema and the treehouse. Those are still open, though, because they're not nearly as symbolic as the castle, and so are much less likely to actually be targeted.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Minion FOREVER!

This was one of my daughter's favorite places in DL. (And mine for historical reasons since
    I love dioramas and dioramas/picture boxes were one of the original concepts behind Disneyland.
    In fact, the Walkthru and the Storybook Land boats were remnants of the original concept). My guess is that I've gone through this over a hundred times over the years.

The reason behind the differences in the sizes of the dolls was to use forced
    perspective to bring depth to these dioramas. For example, in the "people
    of the kingdom coming to greet the newborn Aurora" scene, many of the
    people are actually "flat".

Let's see if I remember all the scenes...

1. People gathering to greet the newborn Aurora
    2. Malificient "cursing" the newborn
    3. Burning of the spinning wheels
    4. Aurora with the Fairies in the woods; magic coming out of chimney
    5. Aurora dancing w/ Phillip in the woods
    6. Malificient hearing about Aurora from the raven
    7. Aurora being lured by Malificent to the spinning wheel
    8. Phillip fighting the Malificent as the Dragon
    9. Phillip kisses Aurora to wake her and rest of castle
    10.Dancing scene with Fauna and Meriweather (sp?) changing Aurora's dress color

There's a intro "book" at the beginning and a "The End" book
    at the end as well. The stairs were there to take you above the Castle
    entrance and down the other side.

Yes. one of the scenes is now at the Emporium window.
    Last edited by nish221; 02-28-2006 at 01:51 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mcow1
    Isn't one of the scenes in the Emporium window.
    Yes, where Philip is leaning down to kiss her.

This was closed before my first trip to DL, sadly
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Minion

ORDDU: Some of you ducklings might be interested to know that Sleeping Beauty's walk-thru attraction was actually closed down for a while back in 1992-93, due to some vandalism that took place by some teenage guests, who managed to pry open the window of the final scene for the purpose of stealing some of the dolls behind the glass.

ORWEN: At that time, Management was telling everyone the castle walk thru would be permanently closed. The explanations behind it were never the same. We, of course, were among those who put up a protest. So, after a while, the walk-thru was re-opened again.

ORDDU: So, with Matt Ouimet now in charge, we can only cajole, cast spells and curse in order to get him to do our bidding...

does anyone have any photos of the inside of sleeping beauty castle? or any website links?

• It's a dead man's party!

It was one of my absolute favorite parts about Fantasyland. I went in there every trip to DL. The Maleficent windows were always my favorite.

I think my Grandpa has it on video somewhere.
    Ghost Mickey Popcorn Bucket Mission? 10/14/10 SUCCESS! FINALLY!!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I never got to see it...I don't think my mother knew it existed, hence why we never went. And it kills me, because Sleeping Beauty is one of my top favorite Disney movies

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Dont forget the glowing cotton ball that went back and forth on a stick Or the tiny forced perspective Maleficent with the glowing green eyes. SPOOKY!!

• Circle of Ancients

This was truly a unique and wonderful attraction, one of my favorites. I always had to go through it. I would so love to see the Castle re-open. The main reason it closed, according to my sources, was due to lack of care. Over the years, the diromas were getting dusty and no one would change light-bulbs or fix effects. Eventually, the higherups at the time just closed it and used the 9-11 attacks as an excuse. (The Castle actually closed the day the U.S, first started its air attacks on Al Qaeda.) I would love for someone to post pictures from their own personal collections or videos. That would be great! I have tried to collect as many photos of this attraction as possible. I hope that someday, somehow, Sleeping Beauty Castle will re-open and its vibrant sense of storytelling will return to bring joy and happiness to children and children at heart, to Sleeping Beauty fans, and Disneyland fans, everywhere. There are a few sights that have photos.

Here is one link:
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/karl/sbcastle.htm

• no flash photography...

yes, i remember...it was a hot day. A very hot day. the kind of day where you really just want to sit under the air conditioning and drink ice tea....we started up inside the walk through...and it hit me like a ton of bricks...the stench...OMG...people USE deoderant...then the smelly kids...people wash your children!!...I held my breath the best i could until we got out to the fresh clean air again.....oh, and there were dolls inside....and it was tiny and cramped inside...and hot...and smelly....thanks to someones aversion to using deoderant even though it was like 90 degrees outside....oh, and the smelly kids....*gag*

• Circle of Ancients

Wink Re: Fond memories of Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walkthrough!

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    yes, i remember...it was a hot day. A very hot day. the kind of day where you really just want to sit under the air conditioning and drink ice tea....we started up inside the walk through...and it hit me like a ton of bricks...the stench...OMG...people USE deoderant...then the smelly kids...people wash your children!!...I held my breath the best i could until we got out to the fresh clean air again.....oh, and there were dolls inside....and it was tiny and cramped inside...and hot...and smelly....thanks to someones aversion to using deoderant even though it was like 90 degrees outside....oh, and the smelly kids....*gag*
    That's why I always visit D Land in the winter... [smilie=8,36,10] I vist D C in the summer...

• Disney Nazi

Ahhhh nostalgia .... i just pulled out a photo album with pictures from when i went through . God i love Malificent , I miss it for her.
    "Lies make baby Jesus cry!"

• It's a dead man's party!

^ Ditto.

OMG. I remember their little arms went left to right. It was the weirdest wave! Almost like they were petting an animal. XD
    Ghost Mickey Popcorn Bucket Mission? 10/14/10 SUCCESS! FINALLY!!!!

• Needs the smell of summer

I don't know how much space is in there, but why don't they open it up for Character dining with Aurora, and other Disney Princesses? You would have to sign up for something like that, so you would control who comes in. It would be easy to staff, and you could use some of the old walkthrough scenes to decorate tables and sink them into the walls, things like that. I'm sure that would be really popular, but I don't know if they have the space - possibly behind or around some of the FL darkrides....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast