Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Artsy Fartsy

Fond memories of Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walkthrough!

Do you remember when you could take a walk through of Sleeping Beauty's Castle? I think I was about 8 the last time I took it. It was kinda cool you could see miniatures of Milifecent and Price Phillip's battle. And a couple other scenes. I don't remember alot of details just bits and pieces. I do remember alot of stairs. Any one else remember this. Does anyone know when the closed it? I would love to see pics if any one has any.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: Fond memories of Sleeping Beauty's Castle Walkthrough!

It closed for security reasons after my birthday in 2001 (aka 9/11).

I do miss it, it was a great little attraction to do. It'd be fun if they could somehow turn it into an actual Sleeping Beauty dark ride of some sort.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I experienced that Disneyland attraction before. I remember when you approached each scene, they had a display thing, that looked like an open book, and you read about the scene from there. One of the biggest scenes I remember was the replica of Prince Philip battling the dragon.

I believe it is said that the attraction was closed for "Fire" reasons. Either it was not "Fire" safe and/or some scenes were burned in a fire that broke out.

I wish I could post some pics but I do not have any. If I see any good links I will post them though

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Isn't one of the scenes in the Emporium window.
    Mike

• Artsy Fartsy

Quote Originally Posted by mcow1
    Isn't one of the scenes in the Emporium window.
    I think so, cause once I saw that it sparked my memory.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I remember it was very dark walking through there and that the passageway was very narrow. I have very broad shoulders and there were places that I had to walk sideways through because my shoulders wouldn't fit.

I remember the final scene showed Philip dancing with Princess Aurora and the faires Flora and Merryweather kept changing her dress from pink to blue.

I remember the dragon scene, and I also remember the dungeon scene with Philip and Milificent, and The forest scene with Briar Rose dancing with the animals while Philip and his horse watched from behind a bush.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Oooo, that was a good one. I, also, remember being told it was closed for security reasons...just like Fort Wilderness.
    Too bad they don't re-open both locations. I liked them both. *sigh*

• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Just think, if the events witnessed on 9/11 never happened, it would have still been open. This is the only Disneyland attraction that closed to a situation such as that.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• Rainicorn.

I think in all my years of going to DLR, I only went into the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough once. I remember I think I was about 7 or 8, and I was with my mom. I think it was when the Aladdin parade was running...

I thought it was a nice "hidden" (did a lot of people know about it?) aspect of Fantasyland. It was dark and a bit narrow, though... but the scenes were fantastic.

Too bad they can't put an actual ride in there, since the space is relatively small...
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Basking in birthday love

Whenever I went, it was either closed, or I just couldn't convince my mom to do it. I really wish I could have seen it.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Quote Originally Posted by robotpirates
    I think in all my years of going to DLR, I only went into the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough once. I remember I think I was about 7 or 8, and I was with my mom. I think it was when the Aladdin parade was running...

I thought it was a nice "hidden" (did a lot of people know about it?) aspect of Fantasyland. It was dark and a bit narrow, though... but the scenes were fantastic.

Too bad they can't put an actual ride in there, since the space is relatively small...
    That's just the thing, they can't put a new attraction in there, not because of the size but because of the situation. If they put something new in there, closing the original walk-thru would have made no sense at all because the castle during the time of the attacks was considered one of the top five locations terrorists would probably attack first. Putting a new attraction in there would just make the situation confusing showing that they see that it is no longer a target and erasing the reminder that it was closed for this reason only overseeing that attacks could possibly happen today or tomorrow. Sorry to be such a buzzkill but it is true that if they open it, they would simply erase the reason to why they closed it in the first place.
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I fondly remember this! It always cracked me up though, because the dolls were different sizes in each scene. They were also not to scale in each scene. I remember one scene having a small, almost Barbie-size Aurora, but the fairies in the corner of the scene were giant sized. What I loved about this most, though, was knowing I was actually walking through the whole castle and would always try and judge when I would be right above the opening of the castle.

• Rainicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by DL_CRAZE
    Putting a new attraction in there would just make the situation confusing showing that they see that it is no longer a target and erasing the reminder that it was closed for this reason only.
    I know, I wasn't saying they should open a new attraction in there. I was just saying "if only!" but the space is WAY too small, even if they tried to hallow it out for a Sleeping Beauty dark ride. You know?

Also, wasn't it deemed closed for "fire hazard" reasons?

And, considering a lot of people didn't even know about the walkthrough, thusly not knowing about its closing, why would opening a new ride there confuse them, even with terrorism? I don't think there'd be much outcry.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

Quote Originally Posted by robotpirates
    I know, I wasn't saying they should open a new attraction in there. I was just saying "if only!" but the space is WAY too small, even if they tried to hallow it out for a Sleeping Beauty dark ride. You know?

Also, wasn't it deemed closed for "fire hazard" reasons?

And, considering a lot of people didn't even know about the walkthrough, thusly not knowing about its closing, why would opening a new ride there confuse them, even with terrorism? I don't think there'd be much outcry.
    LOL, that's true, I didn't even know about until 2001, I first visited it in April, 5 months before it closed. There would be no outcry, probably just the board of safety comission or something would question a reopening if that ever happens.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I have to disagree that putting a ride though negates why they closed it down after 9/11 as a walk though. Having a controlled ride-though attraction is MUCH easier to "patrol" than a walk through.

There were lots of nooks and crannies inside the walk through for people to hide and do "bad" things. An actual ride through would be much easier to keep track of things going on inside, plus with cameras installed and such. Its got constant motion, whereas with a walk through, you could stay inside for long periods of time doing all sorts of things you shouldnt be doing. Granted you can have cameras in a walk through but you then need someone to watch the cameras.

In any event, walk through or ride through, it's highly unlikely it will ever be open again. But then again King Stefans at WDW is still open and that's a likely target too I would imagine. Hmmmm, confusing message then if you think about it. Its ok to keep the WDW castle open for business but not do something with the Dland castle. Curious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast